Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: When a Manufacturer says 'Use ONLY Our Power Supply'  (Read 46 times)

grawk and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline fanofjam

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
Does everyone ALWAYS heed this warning from gear manufacturers?  I mean, tell me if I'm wrong, but if you take care to properly replicate the OEM design specs, then you should be OK to use a non-OEM replacement.  The reason I ask this of course is that some OEMs will charge ridiculous amounts for their OEM wall warts. 

Are there any other design considerations besides...

- tip polarity
- tip design/type
- input voltage
- transformer specifics, ie amperage, and if it has a voltage cut-out at a certain charge voltage in the case of battery chargers.

TIA

« Last Edit: Today at 11:26:45 AM by fanofjam »

Online breakonthru

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: When a Manufacturer says 'Use ONLY Our Power Supply'
« Reply #1 on: Today at 11:43:23 AM »
Remember they are CYA in most cases, and people like yourself are outside of their target audience.

You pretty much hit all criteria tho some supplies may work better for a given design, i.e transformer vs switching power design and how clean that power is to the unit.

Remember audiophiles will spend endless dollars on hi-end power supplies for their gear, but the end result depends on the design architecture of the gear itself and how immune it is to dirty power

in this case its hard to go wrong with "pure" DC battery power at cell voltage, vs say regulated power stepped up or down from cell voltage

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com