Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 12v tech question  (Read 2939 times)

Offline taperroy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
12v tech question
« on: December 12, 2012, 11:50:09 PM »
heading north for a fishing trip, and have a fishfinder that runs on a 12v 9 amp hr  battery.... and was wondering, rather than getting a second  backup battery, was wondering if using a higher capacity 12v motorcycle battery might work, as a longer term powering option. anyone have experience with anything like this??  at times, ill be out on the lake for over 24 hours, and dont want to run out of battery power!     i would think that just like as with taping gear, the higher capacity, the better, but just trying to make sure i dont try to push too much power to my device, (and fry it) !!
 beyond that, anyone have  recommendations on a goodquality, yet reasonably priced, 12v sla battery that would be over 9 amp hr??

thanks in advance, you tech heads!!

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: 12v tech question
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 12:08:29 AM »
As long as you're giving it 12v, the capacity doesn't matter...  As for AH, you can find scooter or motorcycle batteries that are about 20AHs, which will in effect double your run time...

Terry

ETA  Add a fuse on the Positive supply...  Someone more experienced will chime in I'm sure...

« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 12:20:36 AM by -T Watts (still not wearing pants) »
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 01:08:14 PM »
What type of battery is attached to the fish finder?  This is important when you charge the battery - different types of batteries use different types of chargers

Any 12v should work so you could use a 12Ah or larger - just make sure you get the polarity right when you wire it up
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline kleiner Rainer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 02:51:10 PM »
Taperroy,

motorcycle and car batteries are designed to give a very high current during starting and then be recharged as fast as possible. They do not like loads that draw rather small, but constant current (1-2A being small for them). If you use them this way, they will die after a few cycles (no kidding, I found out the hard way).

My best bet would be to get an AGM or gel cell designed for deep discharge (those portable power pack/compressor/work light combos come to mind). Common sizes are also 16-18Ah gel cells for emergency lighting, alarm and UPS systems. Maybe you have a company near you that services such devices. Those batteries are replaced after a certain runtime and if you can get some (mostly free) there is a good chance that they are still okay (70% or more of nominal capacity).

Another tip: invest in a good charger!

Greetings,

Rainer

recording steam trains since 1985

Offline MULETAPER

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • ~Find Love Thru Music and Share It~
    • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 05:17:39 PM »
best bet it a deep cycle marine battery. hands down,best solution.
Beyerdynamic MC930's>Neumann KM184s>Tascam DR-680

Offline taperroy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 02:22:06 AM »
the battery that is supplied with the unit is a 12 volt, 7.2 amphour battery,  sealed lead acid rechargable battery.
 my buddies just got two of the same batteries, and will swap em out. i just thought that if i could use a larger amphr battery, id go that way.
 thanks a ton for the recommendations.... now, if the fish will only bite!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com