Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What is Matrix!  (Read 6004 times)

Offline SpunWagon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Busey!
    • SpunWagon
What is Matrix!
« on: May 29, 2008, 03:27:52 PM »
Can you explain how it works?
Dont be a Busey!

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA bookmarks
Re: What is Matrix!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 03:36:33 PM »
A matrix is when you capture a show w/ audience mics and a sound board feed w/ a 4 track device or you have two recorders to capture each source. Then after you mix the 4 tracks into two tracks and decide how much of each source you want for the mix. Much easier to do w/ a 4 track recorder like the R4 or 744 because you don't have to worry about the different sources lining up in time but some times you have delay issues w/ the audience source if you are 25' or more away from the stage but you can correct this w/ most edit softwares.
Peace
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 04:06:44 PM »

« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 04:08:35 PM by Belexes »
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

adrianf74

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 04:17:45 PM »

Simplest form; the use of "multiple" souces (regardless of origin - be it soundboard or audience) to create one new version.

This involves a bit of work because of the delay between the location of each source; they're all lined up in a mixing program and then "merged" together while the creator decides how much of each source should be in the mix.

I've heard excellent Prog Rock-type shows (of, say, a Canadian Band that's been around for some 30-plus-years) and a person has used 3 or 4 sources to create a matrix recording that sounds better than the original sources being used.

adrianf74

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 04:18:29 PM »
[Matrix Movie Poster]

[Toyota Matrix]

... I was gonna say.    ;D

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 04:23:00 PM »

Simplest form; the use of "multiple" sources (regardless of origin - be it soundboard or audience) to create one new version.

Most often than not, a "Matrix" is a SBD/AUD mix.  I think the "4mic mixes" fit into this category too...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 05:22:21 PM »
on a soundboard, the matrix section allows the engineer to route the signal from, say, a subgroup or the mains to, say, a fill speaker, or a radio feed, or a listening assist system. it's simply a routing system. the term matrix when it comes to tapers (which i have always thought was an incorrect use of the term) is a mix of audience and soundboard sources.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Roving Sign

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 05:50:39 PM »
A matrix is when you capture a show w/ audience mics and a sound board feed w/ a 4 track device or you have two recorders to capture each source. Then after you mix the 4 tracks into two tracks and decide how much of each source you want for the mix. Much easier to do w/ a 4 track recorder like the R4 or 744 because you don't have to worry about the different sources lining up in time but some times you have delay issues w/ the audience source if you are 25' or more away from the stage but you can correct this w/ most edit softwares.
Peace

This delay issue always comes up - I get it. But I dont see the difference when it comes to aligning the two sources?

How does this delay issue affect how you align tracks? It seems like there are only two track sets - they can only be (juxtaposed) one place at a time...either it's going to sound "right" or not...

« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 05:55:26 PM by Roving Sign »

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 05:52:31 PM »
(which i have always thought was an incorrect use of the term)

Funny how the taping community has bastardized the english language.  We have lots of terms that only make sense to us.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 06:27:58 PM »
Peace

This delay issue always comes up - I get it. But I dont see the difference when it comes to aligning the two sources?

How does this delay issue affect how you align tracks? It seems like there are only two track sets - they can only be (juxtaposed) one place at a time...either it's going to sound "right" or not...

When you playback you hear a reverb sound in the vocals like at a baseball game. What you do is cut two of the tracks from one source shorter or you make one source longer. I found cutting the audience portion - what ever ms sounds right the easiest way but once you get them aligned perfect you will know right away.
Peace
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 10:38:33 PM »
What you do is cut two of the tracks from one source shorter or you make one source longer.
Any two recorders will have slightly different clock rates, so if you can figure out the speed difference, then you can align them more precicely. For instance, I use the CHANGE SPEED plugin effect in Audacity to shrink my DAT masters down by .012% to match speed with my Zoom H2 masters. That seems to get me within a couple thousand samples per hour, which is damn close. Actually, I keep meaning to make a test program so that I can find out the exact ratio of the clocks. Maybe I'll do that tonight. . .

1- create a track which is EXACTLY 1:00:00:00 long (1 hour) and load that into my H2 via USB.
2- Hook up my DAT recorder's analog input to the output of the H2
3- record the H2's output onto the DAT
4- digitally transfer the DAT to the computer
5- line up the start of the DAT version with the master version and find out how many samples different they are by the end.
6- calculate the exact percent I need to time-compress the DAT versions to match the H2 as exactly as possible.
7- use that information to create more accurately time-aligned sources for "matrix" mixing of (usually) SBD and AUD sources from my two particular decks.

DO keep in mind that the speed of sound varies with temperature and air pressure, so unless those are constant (not in real life!) you may have to make some other adjustments to get the best possible alignment of your sources.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 10:40:50 PM by morst »
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline chrisdavis

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Sorry, you can't repeat a karma action....
    • DB Music List
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 09:56:17 AM »
heres a tutorial on making a matrix (montage) in Wavelab:
http://wavelabmatrix.acidcasualties.com/matrix.html
Team Dirty South Coastal Division: Getting Shut Down since 2007.

"Hey, are you the Z-Man?"
-local fan, Artie Crisp (Pour House - 8/28/08)

mics: 4 x Peluso cemc6 (ck2, ck4, ck21, ck41) : Nakamichi cm100/cp4 : SP-C4's (omni/card) : CA-11 card (Trego)
pres: BMp2+ UA-5 : Sound Device MP-2: EAA PSP-2 : CA-9000
recorders: Tascam DR-680 : MT-II : Sony PCM M-10 : Tascam DA20-mkII

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/chrisdavis
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/chrisdavistransfers

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 10:51:34 AM »
Answer:  What is the best most desirable recording method?   ;D

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2008, 02:27:41 AM »
heres a tutorial on making a matrix (montage) in Wavelab:
http://wavelabmatrix.acidcasualties.com/matrix.html

Nice, good info in here T's around.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline therodge

• Taperssection Regular
    • my portfolio
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 06:06:30 PM »
Ok, I'm looking to do matrix recording.  I have SP-BMC-6 > SP-PREAMP > Nomad JukeBox 3 for the audience portion and have a nice dell xps computer with creative audicity 2 card w 1/8" line in.  The thing is, is I would like to record both to my laptop.  So I need some sort of multitrack-gain adjustable box to usb thingy.  And what would be the best program to record with?

SP-BMC-6 > SP-PREAMP >JB3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.576 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com