Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Update: Completed my first rig! (Was: BSC1's > FR2LE... what else do I need?)  (Read 9739 times)

Offline grtphl

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • deadheadynugs
    • Free Live Music Archive - daja@dayjay
I don't plan on purchasing until at least August, but I may be too tempted to resist doing so.  I need help narrowing down my options so my research isn't so broad.  I'd be taping 'jam' & bluegrass.  My budget is $1000, but I might be able to go a few hundred over (certainly no more than $1500).  Ideally the rig should accommodate future upgrades well (swapping parts of the rig out for better equipment, and holding decent resale value).

I'd like to be able to run XY and ORTF.  Cardioid microphones are my priority, but if I can, a pair of omni- caps (in addition to the cards-) would be nice, but not necessary.

My checklist is:
*2x microphones (fixed cardioid or ability to switch capsules)
*Depending on the microphones, a set of card caps (and possibly a set of omni caps)
*Preamp
*Recorder
*Cables
*Stand (for running XY and ORTF)
*Battery box

For microphones, I'm thinking of Busman BSC-1s or Church's new CA-14s.  If I can get a good deal in the Yard Sale, I'd really like to run AKG 480s.  If I go with Church's CA-14s (dedicated cardioid mics), I'd get his 9100 preamp (would run about $350).  I'm thinking of an R-09 as a recorder or an iRiver if it'll record 24bit. 

I'm very unfamiliar with preamps, cables, battery boxes, and stands, so I need help there too.  I have no idea what or how many cables I'd need to run.  So I ask you, if you had $1000 (maybe a bit more) to drop for an entire rig, what would you get?  Don't feel the need to spend my limit, too; if you can think of a good beginner rig for cheaper, let me know.

Like I said, I don't plan on buying _too_ soon, but I'd like adequate time to research products within my price range so I can get the rig before I move back out to Colorado in August.  If there seems to be some general consensus on the sort of gear I should pick up in this price range, I'd love to buy the items sooner and test them out this summer here in MN.

Thanks!

(edit: Page 3 has updates)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 08:13:36 PM by root_ »

Offline ozarkbilly

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Need help picking my first rig ($700 - $1200 range)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 01:24:14 PM »
  Don't feel the need to spend my limit, too; if you can think of a good beginner rig for cheaper, let me know.

Thanks!

I'm sure you've seen it already if you've visited the yard sale in the past two days, but here's a rig that's MUCH cheaper (yes its mine  ;D )

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,105634.0.html

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 01:30:47 PM »
AKG 390's > FR2LE

With the price range you're looking at you have the opportunity to move up a few price points from the mics you mentioned.  You budget also means you can shop and buy for gear that is a level or two above the entry level gear you listed.   Also keeping in mind future upgrades.

The AKG 390's are a wonderful sounding microphone with lots of field use.  Start with the cards (391's) and you have the option to upgrade in the future with omni's, hypers and even active cables.

FR2LE is a helluva AIO box.  A local taper here in Dallas has one and I think its a kick ass box.  Good sized and lots of features.  He kicked me down some tapes he made with the 390>Fr2LE rig of music that I would never listen to and by god I think its great.  Sounds wonderful.  Plus you have the option of getting the box modded if you so choose.

So with the budget you've stated you'll also be able to afford not only the above mentioned gear but you'll have plenty left over for cables, shockmounts, gear bag, clamp, etc.  All the accessories that you'll need to fill out your rig.

Offline Scooter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 01:33:32 PM »
studio projects c-4 mics (omni and card caps) maybe $250-$300?
edirol ua-5 preamp, flavor modded $400, stock digi mod $200?
JB3 or IriverH120, under $200 for either

just one example...

then you need cables, stand, bag, and a battery.  There's lots of good quality beginner rigs nowdays.  you could even go mics>impedance transformers>recorder if you wanted to go even cheaper.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 01:36:49 PM by Scooter »
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline grtphl

• Taperssection Member
  • deadheadynugs
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 01:34:10 PM »
So with the budget you've stated you'll also be able to afford not only the above mentioned gear but you'll have plenty left over for cables, shockmounts, gear bag, clamp, etc.  All the accessories that you'll need to fill out your rig.
That was one of my concerns: how much of my budget I needed to dedicate to the gear you mentioned.  Can I get a price range for how much all those items will cost together (approximately), so I can have a better idea of the price range of mics I should be looking at?

Offline Krispy D

• my recordings on LMA
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 01:36:02 PM »
open or stealth?
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline grtphl

• Taperssection Member
  • deadheadynugs
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 01:44:31 PM »
open or stealth?
Open.  Ability to stealth is nice, but definitely not a requirement.  I'd be recording artists that are explicitly taper-friendly.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 01:47:35 PM »
So with the budget you've stated you'll also be able to afford not only the above mentioned gear but you'll have plenty left over for cables, shockmounts, gear bag, clamp, etc.  All the accessories that you'll need to fill out your rig.
That was one of my concerns: how much of my budget I needed to dedicate to the gear you mentioned.  Can I get a price range for how much all those items will cost together (approximately), so I can have a better idea of the price range of mics I should be looking at?

Well alot depends on exactly what accessories you want.  

Here is my guess on some stuff but scour the Yard Sale to find individual deals:

AKG Mic Bar - $15
Joe Meek shockmounts - $10
Stand - $50
Mic cables - $50
AKG 391's - $450
FR2LE - $450
CF card - $50
Bag - $40

Remember these are just guesstimates and you can always find exact prices and deals through the yard sale.  But according to the above guess you're looking at around $1100 give or take.   Helluva a rig for the price range you were looking at.  The SP C4's mentioned in a previous post are good mics as well for less than the 390's but if you dig the 480 sound then the 390's get you into a AKG real easy especially with the fact that you can buy upgrades in pieces for them (caps, actives)

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 01:51:10 PM »
Lots of people on here like Chris Church's mics (CA-11 & 14) and pre-amps (9000 & 9100) so I would go over to archive.org live music section and type those in and have a listen to the sounds of the mics and pre-amps and recorders.
You are willing to spend quite a bit of money on stuff that really isn't that expensive. the CA-14s are around $130, as you know and the pre-amp isn't much more. Before you spend that much money, go have a listen to the mics and pre-amps and recorders over at live music archive. You could even start small with a less expensive recorder (jb3, iriver, a used r09) and a used pair of the Church's mics just to make sure you like taping and you can handle it. PLUS, it would be a good backup and/or stealth recorder as opposed to something like the Fostex fr-2le or sound devices 722.

Just my thoughts.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 01:54:29 PM »
Lots of people on here like Chris Church's mics (CA-11 & 14) and pre-amps (9000 & 9100) so I would go over to archive.org live music section and type those in and have a listen to the sounds of the mics and pre-amps and recorders.
You are willing to spend quite a bit of money on stuff that really isn't that expensive. the CA-14s are around $130, as you know and the pre-amp isn't much more. Before you spend that much money, go have a listen to the mics and pre-amps and recorders over at live music archive. You could even start small with a less expensive recorder (jb3, iriver, a used r09) and a used pair of the Church's mics just to make sure you like taping and you can handle it. PLUS, it would be a good backup and/or stealth recorder as opposed to something like the Fostex fr-2le or sound devices 722.

Just my thoughts.

No offense to your or Chris' products but the budget he has stated would put him several price points above the Church mics and preamps.   

Offline strangetapes

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 01:56:39 PM »
Here's a few ideas:

Busman mics $525  Nice thing about these is that you will get the mics plus card/hypercard/subcard/omni caps plus shockmounts and a t-bar.  plus free shipping until the end of this month.

Thes Fostex FR-2LE in the yard sale for $500 this also has the busman T-mod on the preamp section.  http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,105717.0.html

Here are some star quad cables in the yard sale for $45.  http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,105455.0.html

Total so far $1070

Mic stands can usually be had for a good deal in the yard sale, just keep looking or post an Iso.

I think the Fostex takes CF cards, just check new egg, $50 or less depending on size/speed you want.

Neumann SKM 184's; Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4
V3
SD722; R44

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 01:57:23 PM »
No offense to your or Chris' products but the budget he has stated would put him several price points above the Church mics and preamps.   

None taken. :)
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline grtphl

• Taperssection Member
  • deadheadynugs
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 02:07:40 PM »
What advantages are there for getting the Fostex over an R-09?  I'm not familiar with the mods either.  What's the "T-mod on the preamp section?"

The Busman gear seems to be a great bang for the buck.  At the earliest, I'd be able to purchase gear by the middle of next week if you kind folk keep rolling in the advice like you are.  I'm going to be at a small festy from today - Saturday, and out of town Sunday - Wednesday, so I might not be able to pick up anything in the YS until then if it's still available.

So: Open taping, cardioid mics (omni- caps would also be nice), and a budget that tops out near $1,000.  Also, preferably gear that I wouldn't have too much difficulty finding in the YS.

Thanks for all your posts so far guys/gals.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 02:31:15 PM »
I would go for the Studio Projects C4 (used, $200-250, here in the YS).
and Fostex FR-2LE (stock $400 ebay, modded $500-600 here in the YS).

Total $600-700.  Cheap cables and stand, another $100 or so.

Very respectable rig.  Decide if you like it, then you can get better mics and/or get the Fostex modded.

At this point I would not bother with a separate ADC and recorder.  Too much trouble, and the Fostex will sound just as good.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 02:52:22 PM »
I think that out of all the suggestions I've seen here
OFOTD has the best idea

if you like the AKG sound you probably won't like Studio projects
with $1200 to spend you should go with the FR2-LE (modded or not)
and with the 391s you will be right in your price range

both have good resale value here in the Yard Sale if you want to change later

good luck with your new hobby

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com