Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What to do with onstage access?  (Read 5529 times)

Offline Unitmonster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
Re: What to do with onstage access?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 06:54:48 PM »
+T for the helpful info!  I was always under the impression that digital "drift" wasn't constant (ie. it changes rate at different points throughout a recording) thus the need to do it track by track. However, if this isn't the case, then your method will massively speed up my next matrixing efforts.
AT853rx (c,sc,o)> Fostex FR2-LE (Busman T-Mod)

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 07:46:23 PM »
Digital devices move at a constant speed.  So even if there is a difference between different sources it will be a fixed difference and easily correctable.  Analog devices move at varying speeds.  So the degree of drift will change. 

Any good editing software should be able to match up multiple sources.  I use Vegas to mix external audio with my video projects so I use it also when I have two audio sources.  It allows me to zoom in as close as I want and be able to match up sources perfectly.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2008, 02:14:40 AM »
I have heard that tracks recorded digitally, even on a multitrack recorder, can drift due to the changing speed of sound caused by differing air temperature and pressure. However, I have never noticed any drift on any digital sources I have tried to mix, once I got the "stretch/squish" factor set properly.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2008, 04:38:46 AM »
I have heard that tracks recorded digitally, even on a multitrack recorder, can drift due to the changing speed of sound caused by differing air temperature and pressure. However, I have never noticed any drift on any digital sources I have tried to mix, once I got the "stretch/squish" factor set properly.

In terms of real data, I find that if my two sources are separated by about .01 second or less, they sound pretty good.  If they're .02 seconds or more, they sound reverb-y and need fixing.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2008, 06:54:57 PM »
In terms of real data, I find that if my two sources are separated by about .01 second or less, they sound pretty good.  If they're .02 seconds or more, they sound reverb-y and need fixing.
I agree for sure. 10 milliseconds is .01 second, 20ms is .02, and in between those figures is the "use your best judgement" zone. Over 20ms I usually notice obvious slapback (delay) on sharp impulses.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 01:11:11 AM »
I talked to one sound guy the other night. It was the band's one year anniversary so I wanted to get a nice pull for their listening pleasure.

I had started recording, and was walking over to purchase a white russian (being newly 21 and the big lebowski fan that I am)....

...anyways, I saw that the soundguy had a pair of what looked like (and were later confirmed as) AKG C1000's.

I talked to the sound dude, named KB, and he said he was running those C1000's straight into Protools on his laptop...

We arrive at my question...

I did not think of it at the time, but would he be using some sort of external/internal audio card to do this? It doesn't seem like straight into a mini jack on the old laptop would be that great...am I wrong?

He also mentioned that he was planning on making a matrix sometime soon, so I will just have to talk to him further......
"I read somewhere that 77 percent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 percent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves" ---Jerry Garcia

Mics: Modified Nak 300's, Line Audio CM4
P48/Pres: PS2
Decks: Edirol R-09

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2008, 02:26:34 AM »
Since the C1000s can run on batteries it is possible he was running them directly into an 1/8" jack on the laptop using it's internal sound card/on motherboard soundchip. Far from ideal but it can be done. Depending on what laptop he has there might be a decent card in there but odds are against it unless he added it later or ordered it with an upgraded sound card. He also might have a VX2/VX440 which is a PCMCIA sound card. The four channel has a bulky input/output connector dongle (8 XLRs) but the two channel dongle is much more manageable and unobtrusive. If he was running C1000s > VX2 > ProTools, the results could be surprisingly good.

I started by running Nak 100s directly into a D7. I didn't think the results were that bad at the time but I played one of the DATs the other day and am glad I no longer run that setup succumbed to the upgrade bug.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 10:29:58 AM by flipp »

Offline fUNKYbret

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Overpowered by FUNK
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2008, 11:35:21 AM »
I talked to one sound guy the other night. It was the band's one year anniversary so I wanted to get a nice pull for their listening pleasure.

I had started recording, and was walking over to purchase a white russian (being newly 21 and the big lebowski fan that I am)....

...anyways, I saw that the soundguy had a pair of what looked like (and were later confirmed as) AKG C1000's.

I talked to the sound dude, named KB, and he said he was running those C1000's straight into Protools on his laptop...

We arrive at my question...

I did not think of it at the time, but would he be using some sort of external/internal audio card to do this? It doesn't seem like straight into a mini jack on the old laptop would be that great...am I wrong?

He also mentioned that he was planning on making a matrix sometime soon, so I will just have to talk to him further......
If it was a Mac laptop, he would pretty much have to use some type of ProTools interface like the original MBox or MBox 2 series.  As far as I know, you can't even open ProTools without some type of ProTools interface.  Almost all ProTools interfaces have mic pres on them expect for the MBox 2 micro (which is just for mixing/bouncing etc.).  The MBox 2 Pro and MBox 2 would both allow you to pull in 2 mix channels and 2 SBD channels for later matrixing.  I love ProTools.....I love desk.....I love lamp....

Hopefully that helps.  All the dude ever wanted was his rug back.
Mics:  AT4050's, Church Audio cards, SM-81's, Peluso CEMC6/CK4/CK-41 (ISO sub-card caps), MSH-1's, MSH-1x's, MSH-2's, MSH-3's
Pres:  R-4 (stock), UA-5 (p-mod), Church Audio ST-9000, PreSonus DigiMax LT
Recorders:  R-4 (s/pdif), iHP-120 (optical), Tascam CDRW-700, Digi002 (s/pdif or ADAT optical), MBox

I barely tape anymore...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com