Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: More Soundfield Fun!  (Read 14096 times)

Offline F0CKER

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection All-Star
More Soundfield Fun!
« on: October 09, 2008, 09:16:13 AM »
I'm just copying the email I sent to SF, hopefully it's clear what I'm asking and shows through the audio samples I've attached.  Anyone have any idea what migth be causing this....FWIW< the tapes are complete, it's the overloading issue I have now.  But looking back I was having the same issue with the old battery setup.  This time instead of overloading and locking, it's overloading until I adjust the gain down.  So same root problem I think, but not as bad as before.
---------

Pieter - Wanted to raise another issue, unsure if it's related to the battery swap we just did.  I recorded two bands last night.  I've attached excel files with snapshots of the wav files to show what's going on.  Let me know if you can't open files in Excel, if not I'll find another way.  Sample 1 is where I have a problem, sample 2 is fine.  Attaching both for a reference.  Also, my settings and gain were consistent for both recordings so there shouldn't be any significant variances.  When I first did the battery swap I noticed my levels on my deck would overload at some point during each show, usually in the 20-30 minute mark.  I originally thought it was user error because I'd bought a new deck to use and was still fine tuning the gain settings. 

I recorded two shows last night.  The second one (Audio Sample 2) is perfectly fine.  The first one (Audio Sample 1) is where I see an issue.  Looking back on three recordings I made when I first made the swap a few weeks back I had the same issues, but as I'd said I relegated it to user error.

The gain setting on the 350 preamp and on the Edirol R44 were set at +18db total (+12db on the 350, +6db on the R44), which I thought was a little hot knowing the unit and its sensitivity to high dB sound pressure, but I was going off the levels I was seeing on the deck at that setting.  You'll notice the W channel is quite low relative to the X Channel.  I had the gain settings on all channels set exactly the same per your recommendation.  At the 26 minute mark, you'll see all 4 channels overload, at which time I dropped the gain setting on the 350 down to the lowest setting and the levels seemed to normalize to what I'd expect to see for a B Format recording i.e. W & X being comparable in gain, Y&Z being a little less, which is what I think the ideal gain across all 4 channels should be.  After I brought the gain down everything was fine and the recording was fine. 

Audio Sample 2 was fine across 4 channels from a W,X,Y,Z perspective.  What I would expect to see for a B Format recording where the gain setting is constant across all 4 channels.

When I first start the unit I notice the W channel is significantly lower in total gain than the others until the unit seems to warm up and then I experience the overloads at which point I cut the gain back on he 350 and all levels stabilize.  I think this is the key, W&Y should be comparable in total gain in an ideal setting.

Any idea what's happening here?  Is there a chance the 350 preamp needs to "warm up" for a period of time?  I also noticed this before I swapped out my Sound Devices 744 for an Edirol R44, which is why I was overcompensating the gain on W, as I'd mentioned in a prior email. 

Curious what your take is on this, and if you've experienced it before.  It's almost as if the 350 needs time to get warmed up prior to having all the channels stabilize.  Please see the attached files for reference.  Sample 1 is the defective file.  Sample 2 is perfect. 

Also, I checked with the sound engineer and asked him if he had adjusted the gain significant at any point during the set and he said he did not, he has a cap on the total gain and never adjusts it.

Thanks for your feedback.  I have two more recordings to make this weekend and will report back but would like to get your take on this and know if you've seen it before.

----------------------

Here are the files, any thoughts from the TS?

Nevaton MC49 -> Sonosax SX-R4

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • CAR RAMROD
Re: More Soundfield Fun!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 12:37:08 PM »

Sell the mofo and get back to Schoeps.
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 01:08:40 PM »

See, the problem is I made a complete recording (error and overload free) last night of the band I went to tape - Dead Confederates (who fucking rock), and it sounds better than a schoeps recording to my ears.  So it's really a difficult decision.  And that was just the card pattern...I've haven't even messed with decoding to blumlein, hyper, sub or any variable in between.  You see the dilmena.

If this is a battery and voltage supply type issue, I think what I need is for someone with soldering skills to build me a battery pack to test against the SF one.  I can't solder to save my life...

Ideally I'd like to use a different external battery with a 2 pin lemo connection.

Who's up for it?

I think the bottom line is the battery for the preamp fucking blows goats.

BTW, SF has yet to respond to my email....5 hours.  At least acknowledge receipt of it and tell me you'll look at it closer in when you can.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 01:10:47 PM by F0CKER »

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 01:40:13 PM »

oh, also who the hell is going to buy it?  Nobody here in their right mind would.  And I don't feel quite right putting it on ebay knowing it isn't 100% in order. 

I should post it in the YS just for shits and giggles.  I wanna see my post count plummet faster than the DOW.

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 02:03:05 PM »
113 views and all 113 are as stumped as I am, huh?

That makes me feel better.

Offline T.J.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Always look on the Bright Side of Life
    • My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 02:21:12 PM »

;D

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 02:28:26 PM »
Audio of the first pic?

I've no experience with the SF, and would just be guessing when I say it looks like a pre amp/power issue.
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 02:46:40 PM »
Audio of the first pic?

I've no experience with the SF, and would just be guessing when I say it looks like a pre amp/power issue.

The audio in theory is fine, but because of the way SF decodes B Format to stereo there's a special balance in gain between the WXY and Z channels.  Ideally if all gain is fixed across four channels it should look like sample #2.  With sample #1, up through the first 24 minutes or so the decoding would be "fucked" for lack of a better word"  After the overload in sample number 1, everything appears as it should.  My question to SF, what is causing the overload, and why would the channels be different between the first 24 minutes and the final few minutes when the gain settings were all uniform.

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 02:54:33 PM »

It may just be 113 people rubber necking  >:D

Seriously, those level shifts have to be voltage related, same as what we saw happen at TLG and DBT last month. I think that battery issue is still haunting you. I wonder if you could call Doug and see if he can build you a custom power solution for the Soundfield preamp. I know he has been out of that game for a while, but I know Doug loves a challenge, so you may be able to convince him to try it just for you, shit for all of us......your Soundfield threads need to start showing up only in the Kickdown section where the comments are limited to "holy crap" and "how much was that thing again?"
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 03:02:44 PM »

Seriously, those level shifts have to be voltage related, same as what we saw happen at TLG and DBT last month. I think that battery issue is still haunting you. I wonder if you could call Doug and see if he can build you a custom power solution for the Soundfield preamp. I know he has been out of that game for a while, but I know Doug loves a challenge, so you may be able to convince him to try it just for you, shit for all of us......your Soundfield threads need to start showing up only in the Kickdown section where the comments are limited to "holy crap" and "how much was that thing again?"

agreed it a battery issue still, just an opinion (highly unqualified...)

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 03:03:50 PM »

yeah Brad I'd originally thought it was user error when the levels were overloading, but it seems it's an ongoing problem just manifesting itself differently now.  I've got two shows this weekend then I'm shipping it back and demanding a refund.  I have no more patience for this.

622's here I come.

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 03:13:34 PM »
Audio of the first pic?

The audio in theory is fine, but because of the way SF decodes B Format to stereo there's a special balance in gain between the WXY and Z channels.  Ideally if all gain is fixed across four channels it should look like sample #2.  With sample #1, up through the first 24 minutes or so the decoding would be "fucked" for lack of a better word"  After the overload in sample number 1, everything appears as it should.  My question to SF, what is causing the overload, and why would the channels be different between the first 24 minutes and the final few minutes when the gain settings were all uniform.

Okay, I'm in over my head now.

So there's no way to hear the audio of the segment where it goes ape shit because it needs to be decoded as a whole, or am I misunderstanding?

« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 03:16:29 PM by anodyne33 »
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 03:27:12 PM »

Okay, I'm in over my head now. I just assumed that the problem stemmed from whatever happened at 26:00 that looks like an overload.

No, the probem was there from the get-go in that the signals weren't balanced relative to each other at the same gain setting...the decoding would've been fucked up in post.  Then the overload happened, anmd when I cut the gain back, everything went into balance.

I sent an email to the dirstributor saying I was pissed I hadn't heard bac from SF, just to acknowledge receipt of my email.  Not that I needed an answer, just that I wanted a confirmation that they saw the email and are looking into options or will get back to me soon.

I've been told they're taking the issue up with the battery interface supplier. 

In any event I've already told them I want a refund....now who's got used schoeps to sell me?

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 03:33:59 PM »
hate to see u w/ all these troubles.  makes me love my simple to use dat more and more.  keep at it.  things will work out.  ed
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

Offline Əkoostikal

• Taperssection Member
  • One of these days....
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 07:36:37 PM »
If this is a battery and voltage supply type issue, I think what I need is for someone with soldering skills to build me a battery pack to test against the SF one.  I can't solder to save my life...

Ideally I'd like to use a different external battery with a 2 pin lemo connection.

Who's up for it?

What voltage does the pre run on?...... any chance of posting a pic of the SF batt pack? I could probably put one together but I do not have any materials at the moment. I may suggest some high quality R/C cells in whatever arrangement needed to get proper voltage. I can build batt. packs no problem just nee some more info. BTW the R/C cells can get pretty pricy so it just depends on how much you want to spend on this thing. Of corse you could always get some cheap cells just to test it out I guess.....

-Kiel
BONGWATER via Etree:

"Phil Keeps on growing, never even slowing, never really knowing all of the minds he's really blowing!!!!!"

Offline boojum

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2008, 07:46:23 PM »
This SoundField gear is just like the old Jaguars.  When they ran right they were wonderful.  They just did not run right very often. Ford bought the company, switched SU to Bosch and Lucas to Bosch and the damned cars were great.  Every time you would turn the key they would start and run right.

SoundField needs the project taken from them and sent to Germany.  You can believe I would not touch their gear with, as the Brits say, a bargepole.  Their gear is a heart breaker, and the company support is not good.  All around bummer.  How far would you walk with a stone in your shoe???
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2008, 08:07:47 PM »

Who's up for it?

What voltage does the pre run on?...... any chance of posting a pic of the SF batt pack? I could probably put one together but I do not have any materials at the moment. I may suggest some high quality R/C cells in whatever arrangement needed to get proper voltage. I can build batt. packs no problem just nee some more info. BTW the R/C cells can get pretty pricy so it just depends on how much you want to spend on this thing. Of corse you could always get some cheap cells just to test it out I guess.....

-Kiel

Anything between 9V - 12V.  It uses the same battery as the SD 7xx series.  They have a special adapter that goes with it and goes 2 pin lemo into the pre.

Actually I may take you up on that...building a battery pack. The product I've gotten from them is faulty for sure. 

But I did get a complete recording last night, overload and error free.  Listening to this is what prevents me from going back to schoeps.  I think it sounds pretty damn good, that's why I'm dealing with this...and have been as long as I have.

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=519169&uploaded=1

PERFORMANCE INFORMATION
Band: Dead Confederate
Date: October 8, 2008
Venue: The Khyber
City, State: Philadelphia, PA

SETLIST & TRACKING INFORMATION
01. Intro>
02. [Unknown]
03. [Unknown]
04. [Unknown]
05. [Unknown]
06. [Unknown]
07. [Unknown]
08. [Unknown]

PERFORMANCE NOTES
Shared bill with Mean Street, Catfish Haven, and The Swimmers.
Dead Confederate played third.

RECORDING INFOMATION
Microphone: Soundfield ST-350
Microphone Configuration: XY
Preamp: Soundfield ST-350 Controller Box
A/D Conversion and Recording Deck: Edirol R44 (Oade Concert Mod)
Recording Format: 4 Channel Wav File in B Format, 24 Bits @ 48 kHz Sample Rate

CONVERSION INFORMATION
Transfer: Edirol R44-> USB-> PC
Post-Production Steps:
[1] Polar Pattern, Width, and B Format to Stereo Decoding with Nuendo 3 using the Soundfield Surround Zone Plugin
[2] Song Tracking with CD Wave
[3] Resample, Dither, and Levels Normalized with Wavelab 5
[4] File Compression with FLAC Frontend (Level 6)
[5] FLAC File Tagging with Foobar 2000 Live Show Tagger Plugin
[6] Album Art tagging with Media Monkey
Final Microphone Configuration: Cardioid XY @ 90 Degrees
Final File Format: 2 Channel Stereo FLAC File, 16 Bits @ 44.1 kHz Sample Rate

FLAC FINGERPRINT INFORMATION
deadconfederate2008-10-08t08.flac:6809a57fb09ebc5bd83092c7c98192c0
deadconfederate2008-10-08t01.flac:96a07385f7ff02287523567225192a01
deadconfederate2008-10-08t02.flac:dfe93b03456b0c790e1f3518d32db25d
deadconfederate2008-10-08t03.flac:8dc9648b1d4e0682d4ade04dd68b1ab3
deadconfederate2008-10-08t04.flac:c03dacdbee04d627ad4c03ba9359c1a5
deadconfederate2008-10-08t05.flac:3feee9ba429341ed550a1af2fc5809bf
deadconfederate2008-10-08t06.flac:cdc7389bf5ccbd37f8785081ac378c29
deadconfederate2008-10-08t07.flac:83839b75f512b56a46e841e7e9f59990

SECTOR BOUNDARY CONFIRMATION
 length     expanded size   cdr  WAVE problems filename
     0:14.19        2514332    ---   --   ---xx   deadconfederate2008-10-08t01.flac
    10:12.63      108105020    ---   --   ---xx   deadconfederate2008-10-08t02.flac
     5:55.37       62709068    ---   --   ---xx   deadconfederate2008-10-08t03.flac
     6:02.41       63953276    ---   --   ---xx   deadconfederate2008-10-08t04.flac
     5:33.58       58877660    ---   --   ---xx   deadconfederate2008-10-08t05.flac
     4:46.55       50579804    ---   --   ---xx   deadconfederate2008-10-08t06.flac
     6:03.39       64124972    ---   --   ---xx   deadconfederate2008-10-08t07.flac
     4:35.46       48618236    ---   --   ---xx   deadconfederate2008-10-08t08.flac
    43:24.58      459482368 B                     (totals for 8 files, 0.5837 overall compression ratio)

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2008, 08:08:27 PM »
How far would you walk with a stone in your shoe???

I hear ya, I'm almost ready to throw in the towel.

Offline mmedley.

• CAR RAMROD
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2008, 08:16:25 PM »
Yep, getcha some 4V's and some 22's and call it a day. I would love for you to keep this, but it appears it will never work right no matter.

Sorry to hear of the troubles. I personally would sell all that gear and get a Nagra VI and be a patcher.  :P

Offline Əkoostikal

• Taperssection Member
  • One of these days....
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2008, 08:17:20 PM »

Anything between 9V - 12V.  It uses the same battery as the SD 7xx series.  They have a special adapter that goes with it and goes 2 pin lemo into the pre.

Actually I may take you up on that...building a battery pack. The product I've gotten from them is faulty for sure. 

ok cool..... that should not be too much trouble to throw together......

you just really need something like this: https://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=776

we could parallel 2 of them for 44mAh then make up a special connector for connection to the pre.
BONGWATER via Etree:

"Phil Keeps on growing, never even slowing, never really knowing all of the minds he's really blowing!!!!!"

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2008, 08:38:22 AM »
Well, I thought about my issue and I proposed the following solution to SF.  Swap out the 350 with the newer model SPS 200 and refund the difference in price  The SPS200 runs off 48V phantom power and would ease my powering concerns a bit.  Any pre would work, but I'd need 4 channels with 48V power so I can run into the R44 straight, or if I don't prefer that sound try and get two preamps and use those. Would be pretty sweet to run a soundfield directly into a pair of 148's.  Now....where do I find a pair of 148's?

I think this is a fair resolution since I've tried multiple ways to resolve this with them.

At the end of the day, I really like the sound of this mic and the flexibility in post it offers.  That's why I keep going back to try and resolve it.  Hopefullly the SPS200 is comparable in sound as the 350.  I'd think it is.  I dont know if there are significant differences in the electronics or caps used between the two so I need to inquire about that.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 08:39:54 AM by F0CKER »

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2008, 08:54:30 AM »
This SoundField gear is just like the old Jaguars.  When they ran right they were wonderful.  They just did not run right very often. Ford bought the company, switched SU to Bosch and Lucas to Bosch and the damned cars were great.  Every time you would turn the key they would start and run right.

SoundField needs the project taken from them and sent to Germany.  You can believe I would not touch their gear with, as the Brits say, a bargepole.  Their gear is a heart breaker, and the company support is not good.  All around bummer.  How far would you walk with a stone in your shoe???

You're basing all of this on one person's experience?   :P

The Soundfield/Jaguar analogy is way off.  Folks have issues with German mics too, you know.  In fact I know of more problems people have had with Neumanns than I do people who've had problems with Soundfield.

I would have no problem buying Soundfield now or in the future, if the project I was working on called for it.

I think there must be an issue with the mic and a potential swap with SPS200 is a good option.  Good luck!
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2008, 04:09:11 PM »
FYI, Soundfield has yet to respond to, or acknowledge receipt of the email I sent yesterday am and the second I sent this am.

That's what upsets me most about them.  It takes a week for them to resopnd. 

Offline jimmyrow

• Uploader Slowpokerus
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 190 Years of Athletic Mediocrity
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2008, 04:29:08 PM »
FYI, Soundfield has yet to respond to, or acknowledge receipt of the email I sent yesterday am and the second I sent this am.

That's what upsets me most about them.  It takes a week for them to resopnd. 

Only if you have problems - if you want to send them money, they respond right away  ::)
I just can't find the time to write my mind the way I want it to read.

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2008, 01:21:12 PM »
Latest news for those following the "day of our lives"

Soundfield is going to replace the whoel setup, mic, preamp, cables, battery, everything in the hopes it resolves the issue.  I should have a new setup in 10 days or so.

Fingers crossed this resolves it.

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2008, 02:01:40 PM »
See, the problem is I made a complete recording (error and overload free) last night of the band I went to tape - Dead Confederates (who fucking rock), and it sounds better than a schoeps recording to my ears.  So it's really a difficult decision.  And that was just the card pattern...I've haven't even messed with decoding to blumlein, hyper, sub or any variable in between.  You see the dilmena.

the way i look at it is, if you are batting 500 (or less it seems) with gear, what the fuck does it matter how it sounds if 50% of the time its fucked up. 

reminds me of that scene in anchorman with the sex panther... 40% of the time, it works every time.

if i had all the problems you did with this gear, i would get a refund and get a different mic setup.  nothing pisses me off more than gear failure.

regardless which way you go, good luck... and +t for your troubles.
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2008, 02:09:37 PM »
because I'm sure there's an answer to the problem and because I like the way it sounds, I'm willing to deal with this until I find the solution so the gear is working 100% of the time consistently.

Right now it's only working 50% of the time, but I'll get this resolved and be happy or it won't get resolved and I'll move on.

I'm just not quite ready to throw the towel in just yet. Like I said above, a whole new setup is omcing my way which will be thorouglytested at SF.  If that craps out, then it's a done deal.  If not, then I'll be at 100% all the time.  It's the same issue each time, not just a different / new issue each time.  It can be fixed.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2008, 03:42:43 PM »
+t for persistence and patience for such a PITA.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline mmedley.

• CAR RAMROD
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2008, 12:11:37 AM »

Jesus, it is about fucking time they took responsibility and did what they should have done months ago. Here's to hoping my buddy F0CKER is ready to make 100% shitty tapes!  :cheers:

Nothing like being back in the old days drinking beer, playing with hookers (and substances), and making a tape all at the same time! ;D

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2008, 12:21:59 AM »
Glad to hear they finally stepped up.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline boojum

« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2008, 02:03:31 AM »

You're basing all of this on one person's experience?   :P

The Soundfield/Jaguar analogy is way off.  Folks have issues with German mics too, you know.  In fact I know of more problems people have had with Neumanns than I do people who've had problems with Soundfield.

I would have no problem buying Soundfield now or in the future, if the project I was working on called for it.

I think there must be an issue with the mic and a potential swap with SPS200 is a good option.  Good luck!

TNJ - Well, this is a matter of opinion.  Maybe Neumann does fail as often as SF, but I doubt it.  If you know of more failures is that failures of percentage of mics sold.  I doubt SF sells anywhere near as many mics as Sennheiser/Neumann.  They fail, sure.  But I would like to know any other company who has jerked a client/customer around as long as SF has this poor guy.  If they were smart, even a little bit smart, they would have swapped him out right away.  They dithered around and got a lot of bad press for their dithering.  The right thing was to fix it right away.

I had trouble with an SD 722.  The overnighted me a new one and said to send back the faulty one when I could.  That is the kind of service I expect in this price range.  I do not know what Schoeps or DPA would have done with a nosebleed like this one, but I am pretty sure they would have handled it better.

I do not dislike British products.  But I am very wary.  Even before F0cker's problems I would pause a long time, and talk to a few other owners before I risked my money on a British product.  Now you may have had way better luck with British mics than German, I do not know.  I am just saying I do not trust British products before I see them proven.  The SF story is an example I will not forget.  The new SPS200 looks good.  I think much of its sound quality come from phase coherence as the mics are all so close to each other.  Just a guess.  But I will first try the Schoeps DMS of 2 Mk4's and a Mk8.

To carry the unfair car analogy further, the old MB 300SLR, with a straight 8, nine main bearing engine, was a world beater.  Several had on their rear fenders, "This car has never lost a race nor dropped out due to mechanical failure."  I do believe German QC is a higher standard.  At least better than an Edsel.  And you remember the theory of oil in British motorcycles: "If there is oil on the outside, there is oil on the inside."  Been there, done that, etc., etc., etc.

Cheers, all.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2008, 07:08:05 AM »
To be fair to SF, we've tried multiple other options first before getting to the complete rig swap.  I understand why they would want to do that first, but I also think it's taken extraordinarily long to get to this point. 

I'm just happy with where we are today in the situation.   Somehow I got a lemon twice.  Whether the root cause is with the battery, pre or a combo is yet to be determined.

I'm just hoping the new rig is issue free and I'll be back making crappy tapes in no time!

Offline boojum

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2008, 10:55:45 PM »
^^^^ Let's hear it for crappy tapes!    8)   A highly and expensively honed art form.   I have my share, too.

I recorded a wake last Sunday in Portland for a musician who was still alive .  It was a fund raiser for his medical bills and an appreciation for what he has done for the many, many bar bands and buskers in the PDX area.  Anyway, I showed up with a good recorder and set of mics, to record what was coming out of a bunch of Shure SM57's.  The crowd noise sounds great though.

Keep us posted, F, on your further adventures with SF.  Hopefully it was an anamoly.

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2008, 11:00:08 PM »
Anyway, I showed up with a good recorder and set of mics, to record what was coming out of a bunch of Shure SM57's. 

Almost everyone on this board does that when they record a live PA, whether they know it (and want to admit it) or not.  Exceptions are few and far between.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline boojum

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2008, 11:35:41 PM »
^^^^  TNJ - this is why I hate amped live gigs.  The mics are usually what the musicians can afford, not much, and beat up and feed into so-so amps.  So what I wind up with is so-so gear in a mediocre venue.  Argggh.  On the plus side it is fun to be there to record them, guitar players hate the DI boxes so it will always be mics in front of the amps for them.  The SM57 vocals are not good; the SM58's are better and a lot of tours depend on the 58's.  All part of the scene. I recored a foklie here of some history last Friday.  He gig'ed in a delicatessen with a really good bass and electric guitar.  All amped on the shoddiest collection of gear I have ever seen.  But the folkie is funky and so was the gear.  A gig in a vegan delicatessen.  Wowzie!

Now, a good folk or bluegrass group or a small classical group is a dream come true.  Regardless, it is fun to get out with the gear, get some sounds on tape, chaff with the musicians and have a fun night.  I get to learn more with the sound editor on how to do it better and easier every time.  It is school for me and all elective courses.  How sweet it is.   8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2008, 01:06:13 PM »
Well, one more update.  The full replacement setup is on its way to me, should be here next Monday.  I'll be taping DBT the following Sat for the first official outing.

I hope this is the answer to my problems....

I know how much everyone loves hearing about me and my mic.  Later I'll tell you what I'm having for dinner.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2008, 02:43:03 PM »
humble pie?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2008, 02:50:18 PM »
I was thinking meat loaf.

Offline boojum

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2008, 09:35:54 PM »
Well, one more update.  The full replacement setup is on its way to me, should be here next Monday.  I'll be taping DBT the following Sat for the first official outing.

I hope this is the answer to my problems....

I know how much everyone loves hearing about me and my mic.  Later I'll tell you what I'm having for dinner.

F, great!  However, I am going to miss the greatest soap opera on TS.  And I will really be ticked if the replacement gear works!  Harumph.  LOL

Honestly, I hope this thing works better than advertised and that you load up LMA with tons of great tapes.  You have paid your dues with SF.

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2008, 11:32:30 AM »
Thanks boojum, +T.  I really hope the ordeal is over.  I can't imagine getting another lemon.  Got the UPS shipment noptification, it arrives next Tuesday. 

As always I'll keep you posted, but I'm looking forward to closing the final chapter in "The Day's of Focker's Life"

Offline boojum

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2008, 12:27:14 AM »
^^^^^^  ROTFLMAOAPMP     8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2008, 01:51:56 PM »
Replacement setup arrived last night.  Tested it using the battery and AC mains.  No problems for over 2 hours of testing

First field run is tonight for Turbine in Stroudsburg, PA.

This edition of "The Days of Fockers Life" brought to you by Super Colon Blow and Oops, I Crapped My Pants!

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2008, 01:54:19 PM »
You'd have to eat 10,000 bowls of corn flakes to equal the amount of fiber in one bowl of Colon Blow.   :P

J.T.L

« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2008, 03:16:28 PM »
 >:D

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2008, 04:28:20 PM »
I'm very excited....lots of shows in November I need this puppy working 100%.

Offline boojum

« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2008, 01:50:04 AM »
Yea, F0CKER!  Looks like it will work.  We are all rotting rooting for you.     8)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 03:09:51 AM by boojum »
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2008, 10:46:24 AM »
1 for 1 with the new setup last night.   :nightfevah:

Offline datbrad

« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2008, 11:36:48 AM »
Well, well.......Ok coach, you won one game, and the season is long, so don't let your fans down. Keep going and get us into the playoffs!!!
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2008, 11:54:48 AM »
I'd almost forgotten what it feels like to get a complete recording.  I used to take it for granted. 

I'm going 2-0 this week.  DBT is up next!  They're going down to Chinatown!

Then I get to the hard part of the conference schedule:

TLG>TLG>TLG>WSP>TLG from the 13-25th. 

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2008, 07:58:50 AM »
First victory for those interested.

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=519945&uploaded=1

The battle continues tonight at DBT / Hold Steady

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2008, 05:45:48 PM »
I toyed around with this one more, one of the reason I love this setup.  Here's the same show as above with a 65% Card @90 / 35% Blumlein mix.  A bit better on the lower end, still retains a sense of depth / space. 

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=519970&uploaded=1

Offline boojum

« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2008, 03:11:44 AM »
F0CKER is on a roll.  He may be a bore talking about his successful pulls.   LOL

Go, F, go!
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2008, 10:00:06 AM »
F0CKER is on a roll.  He may be a bore talking about his successful pulls.   LOL

Go, F, go!

I'll try and be more interesting in other ways if it turns out my gear actually works again.  I didn;t try to tape DBT so I'm still 1/1.  Two shows this weekend...I'll keep you posted.  I know boojum cares.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2008, 11:07:34 AM »
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2008, 12:47:33 PM »
:o

???

If you've ever been to the Electric Factory, you'd probably understand.

Also if you understand how much I like drinking at shows, you'd def understand.  The venue separates the drinkers from the crowd by having all alcohol sales in the upstairs portion of the venue.  All tapers are expected to be downstairs by the SBD.

You see the dilmena.

Plus all tapes made there b-l-o-w.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2008, 02:37:04 PM »

???

Also if you understand how much I like drinking at shows, you'd def understand.  The venue separates the drinkers from the crowd by having all alcohol sales in the upstairs portion of the venue.  All tapers are expected to be downstairs by the SBD.

You see the dilmena.

Gotcha, I didn't know it was E-Factory. Missed that.

I've seen you in action, your on a on-man mission to keep brewers in business. Our economy is tanking, but your doin your part.  :)  :P
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline T.J.

• My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2008, 02:43:24 PM »

???

You see the dilmena.

hehe...were you surprised when they were allowing us to drink anywhere on saturday? the e-factory hasn't sounded that bad the past couple times i was there, but you're right generally the venue sounds like ass.

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2008, 02:44:47 PM »
I didn't even realize they let you do that on Sat?!?!?  WTF that sucks for me.

oh well, is that new thing or one night only?

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2008, 02:45:38 PM »
I've seen you in action, your on a on-man mission to keep brewers in business. Our economy is tanking, but your doin your part.  :)  :P

I do my part, Page.

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2008, 02:56:02 PM »

There is a bar downstairs against the right wall under the balcony, but again they keep you separate from the floor and away from the sbd/taping area.  I've only been to a few shows where they allowed drinks everywhere including the whole downstairs floor.  All were very light ticket sales and they didn't have the upstairs balcony open.  Last time they even had waitress service, so you didn't even have to go wait in line.

You should have run the SF at the EFactory just to see how it sounds in a typically bad sounding room.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2008, 03:03:04 PM »
I'll be there again in the future...but DBT at the Efactory.  The tapes can't sound that great.

Offline T.J.

• My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2008, 03:34:32 PM »

drink were allowed everywhere @ the e-factory saturday. i saw people walking right past security with drinks and asked if it was okay to bring them on the floor. they said for tonight, yes. hell, we even had a waitress serving us drinks in the taperssection! i don't know if it'll be a normal thing now or not, but it sure was a surprise. you could've taped and drank focker...should've brought the gear ;D

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2008, 01:12:19 PM »
Well I officially closed the book on the issues I was experiencing with Soundfield.  Yesterday I wrote them to tell them everything is working fine.  After 7 or so complete recordings and not a single issue, I'm happy to say I'm a satisfied customer and thoroughly enjoying their product.  It took awhile.....

And so ends "The Days of Focker's Life"

From this point forward we won't speak of Mar '08 - Oct '08 where it relates to taping.  It never happened.

mods please lock this thread then burn it.  Or better yet, email it to Damon, and nobody will ever hear from it ever again.  ;D  Thanks!

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2008, 03:13:14 PM »
Thumbs up for persistence, and congratulations. 

Archive those B-formats for the grand kids that will decode to periphonic 16 channel active wallpaper from their Ipod bracelets automatically when they stroll into the room.

Offline L Ron Hoover

• "I figure the odds be 50/50"
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2008, 03:16:47 PM »
Thumbs up for persistence, and congratulations. 

Archive those B-formats for the grand kids that will decode to periphonic 16 channel active wallpaper from their Ipod bracelets automatically when they stroll into the room.

Woah! Have you been to the future?  :P ;D

Glad to hear it Focker!!!

Offline boojum

« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2008, 09:57:44 PM »
Jeez.  Next General Hospital will be done, too.    8)

I certainly am glad that you persisted with SF and got them to do the right thing.  That it works now indijcates that it was surely their problem.  What is important is that you are able to bring home the sounds you heard, and that is what it is all about.    ;D
Nov schmoz kapop.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.22 seconds with 91 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com