Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: More Soundfield Fun!  (Read 14100 times)

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: More Soundfield Fun!
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2008, 02:03:31 AM »
This SoundField gear is just like the old Jaguars.  When they ran right they were wonderful.  They just did not run right very often. Ford bought the company, switched SU to Bosch and Lucas to Bosch and the damned cars were great.  Every time you would turn the key they would start and run right.

SoundField needs the project taken from them and sent to Germany.  You can believe I would not touch their gear with, as the Brits say, a bargepole.  Their gear is a heart breaker, and the company support is not good.  All around bummer.  How far would you walk with a stone in your shoe???

You're basing all of this on one person's experience?   :P

The Soundfield/Jaguar analogy is way off.  Folks have issues with German mics too, you know.  In fact I know of more problems people have had with Neumanns than I do people who've had problems with Soundfield.

I would have no problem buying Soundfield now or in the future, if the project I was working on called for it.

I think there must be an issue with the mic and a potential swap with SPS200 is a good option.  Good luck!

TNJ - Well, this is a matter of opinion.  Maybe Neumann does fail as often as SF, but I doubt it.  If you know of more failures is that failures of percentage of mics sold.  I doubt SF sells anywhere near as many mics as Sennheiser/Neumann.  They fail, sure.  But I would like to know any other company who has jerked a client/customer around as long as SF has this poor guy.  If they were smart, even a little bit smart, they would have swapped him out right away.  They dithered around and got a lot of bad press for their dithering.  The right thing was to fix it right away.

I had trouble with an SD 722.  The overnighted me a new one and said to send back the faulty one when I could.  That is the kind of service I expect in this price range.  I do not know what Schoeps or DPA would have done with a nosebleed like this one, but I am pretty sure they would have handled it better.

I do not dislike British products.  But I am very wary.  Even before F0cker's problems I would pause a long time, and talk to a few other owners before I risked my money on a British product.  Now you may have had way better luck with British mics than German, I do not know.  I am just saying I do not trust British products before I see them proven.  The SF story is an example I will not forget.  The new SPS200 looks good.  I think much of its sound quality come from phase coherence as the mics are all so close to each other.  Just a guess.  But I will first try the Schoeps DMS of 2 Mk4's and a Mk8.

To carry the unfair car analogy further, the old MB 300SLR, with a straight 8, nine main bearing engine, was a world beater.  Several had on their rear fenders, "This car has never lost a race nor dropped out due to mechanical failure."  I do believe German QC is a higher standard.  At least better than an Edsel.  And you remember the theory of oil in British motorcycles: "If there is oil on the outside, there is oil on the inside."  Been there, done that, etc., etc., etc.

Cheers, all.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline F0CKER

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2008, 07:08:05 AM »
To be fair to SF, we've tried multiple other options first before getting to the complete rig swap.  I understand why they would want to do that first, but I also think it's taken extraordinarily long to get to this point. 

I'm just happy with where we are today in the situation.   Somehow I got a lemon twice.  Whether the root cause is with the battery, pre or a combo is yet to be determined.

I'm just hoping the new rig is issue free and I'll be back making crappy tapes in no time!
Nevaton MC49 -> Sonosax SX-R4

Offline boojum

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2008, 10:55:45 PM »
^^^^ Let's hear it for crappy tapes!    8)   A highly and expensively honed art form.   I have my share, too.

I recorded a wake last Sunday in Portland for a musician who was still alive .  It was a fund raiser for his medical bills and an appreciation for what he has done for the many, many bar bands and buskers in the PDX area.  Anyway, I showed up with a good recorder and set of mics, to record what was coming out of a bunch of Shure SM57's.  The crowd noise sounds great though.

Keep us posted, F, on your further adventures with SF.  Hopefully it was an anamoly.

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2008, 11:00:08 PM »
Anyway, I showed up with a good recorder and set of mics, to record what was coming out of a bunch of Shure SM57's. 

Almost everyone on this board does that when they record a live PA, whether they know it (and want to admit it) or not.  Exceptions are few and far between.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline boojum

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2008, 11:35:41 PM »
^^^^  TNJ - this is why I hate amped live gigs.  The mics are usually what the musicians can afford, not much, and beat up and feed into so-so amps.  So what I wind up with is so-so gear in a mediocre venue.  Argggh.  On the plus side it is fun to be there to record them, guitar players hate the DI boxes so it will always be mics in front of the amps for them.  The SM57 vocals are not good; the SM58's are better and a lot of tours depend on the 58's.  All part of the scene. I recored a foklie here of some history last Friday.  He gig'ed in a delicatessen with a really good bass and electric guitar.  All amped on the shoddiest collection of gear I have ever seen.  But the folkie is funky and so was the gear.  A gig in a vegan delicatessen.  Wowzie!

Now, a good folk or bluegrass group or a small classical group is a dream come true.  Regardless, it is fun to get out with the gear, get some sounds on tape, chaff with the musicians and have a fun night.  I get to learn more with the sound editor on how to do it better and easier every time.  It is school for me and all elective courses.  How sweet it is.   8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2008, 01:06:13 PM »
Well, one more update.  The full replacement setup is on its way to me, should be here next Monday.  I'll be taping DBT the following Sat for the first official outing.

I hope this is the answer to my problems....

I know how much everyone loves hearing about me and my mic.  Later I'll tell you what I'm having for dinner.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2008, 02:43:03 PM »
humble pie?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2008, 02:50:18 PM »
I was thinking meat loaf.

Offline boojum

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2008, 09:35:54 PM »
Well, one more update.  The full replacement setup is on its way to me, should be here next Monday.  I'll be taping DBT the following Sat for the first official outing.

I hope this is the answer to my problems....

I know how much everyone loves hearing about me and my mic.  Later I'll tell you what I'm having for dinner.

F, great!  However, I am going to miss the greatest soap opera on TS.  And I will really be ticked if the replacement gear works!  Harumph.  LOL

Honestly, I hope this thing works better than advertised and that you load up LMA with tons of great tapes.  You have paid your dues with SF.

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2008, 11:32:30 AM »
Thanks boojum, +T.  I really hope the ordeal is over.  I can't imagine getting another lemon.  Got the UPS shipment noptification, it arrives next Tuesday. 

As always I'll keep you posted, but I'm looking forward to closing the final chapter in "The Day's of Focker's Life"

Offline boojum

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2008, 12:27:14 AM »
^^^^^^  ROTFLMAOAPMP     8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2008, 01:51:56 PM »
Replacement setup arrived last night.  Tested it using the battery and AC mains.  No problems for over 2 hours of testing

First field run is tonight for Turbine in Stroudsburg, PA.

This edition of "The Days of Fockers Life" brought to you by Super Colon Blow and Oops, I Crapped My Pants!

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2008, 01:54:19 PM »
You'd have to eat 10,000 bowls of corn flakes to equal the amount of fiber in one bowl of Colon Blow.   :P

J.T.L

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2008, 03:16:28 PM »
 >:D

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2008, 04:28:20 PM »
I'm very excited....lots of shows in November I need this puppy working 100%.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com