Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Trading Shows Is A PITA...Opinions/Suggestions Solicited  (Read 9482 times)

Offline popskull

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Analog....the ultimate sampling frequency
Re: Trading Shows Is A PITA...Opinions/Suggestions Solicited
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2009, 12:46:58 PM »
I do find myself doing one or two snail mail trades a year, usually with old school or european traders, and usually for material thats verbotten to be traded electronically in public forums, like HotTuna

I'll also help out friends who are big music fans and enjoy live music, but cant download/flac/burn to save themselves

There are definatly some self centered people out there, but the majority of people I have met at shows and spun tapes/discs for over the past 25 years have been very pleasent and gracious. I enjoy spreading the music and making others happy with it .....getting a live show in the mail is like christmas (or a holiday in general);D

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Whats next?
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2009, 03:38:36 PM »
I just had a guy ask for trade and i agreed to do a B&P, only to find out when the B&P arrived it was from overseas without return postage or envelope, the only reason i agreed was i can just pop it back into the mailbox, now i have to fill out a little green customs form(i think i will mark it goods and worth 200.00 >:D) and go stand in line at the post office, he did agree to paypal postage but still a  PAIN IN THE ASS especially since really the only time i can get there to wait in line i will be with my 5 and 1 year old, i told him i will get to it but it is way on the backburner and i would have never done it had that been disclosed.

dorrcoq

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2009, 04:17:21 PM »
I usually send a few dollars in US money to cover postage, because living outside of the US (in Canada) it is not possible for me to put return postage on the envelope.  Something to consider for both the sender and receiver of a B&P.

Offline popskull

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Analog....the ultimate sampling frequency
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2009, 12:54:17 PM »
I usually send a few dollars in US money to cover postage, because living outside of the US (in Canada) it is not possible for me to put return postage on the envelope.  Something to consider for both the sender and receiver of a B&P.

The last time I did this was at the ABB in Hershey last summer. The guy behind me asked if he could get a copy and proceeded to bribe me with buds. I told him I do not partake in the sacrement, so he gave me a folded up piece of paper with his address.

I pulled out the paper when I got home and there was a $20 in there ;D

So I spun him the discs, bought the postage and put the change back in there with the discs when I sent them

When I get a gaggle of people wanting discs after a show, I designate the most reponsible looking one as the contact and have everyone else work through him/her

I look at it as karma points, I need all I can get these days

But to keep on topic, if you thought trading discs/hds was bad, cassettes with low levels or DATs that wouldnt play or had massive dropouts were a real disappointment back in the day

Offline L.B.

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2009, 12:34:36 PM »
Tonedeaf, you have done more than anyone could expect.
If I were you, I would tell him to get lost.

There are lots of nice traders, but he isen't one of them, that's for sure.

Offline bluelawn

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • tape with what you got
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2009, 12:58:24 PM »
i still do ocasional B&P's for a show or 2, 3 or 4 times a year.
it really depends on what they want.
if they are asking me for a phish show they are SOL,
you ask me for something harder to find or something I taped,
i can find the time-
Milab VM-44 Links > Naiant Littlebox > Sony PCM-M10
Audio-Technica 4041s > Sound Devices MixPre > Tascam DR-05

http://phishhook.com/lists/bluelawn

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=nochajski&sort=-date

stevetoney

« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2009, 02:36:35 PM »
But to keep on topic, if you thought trading discs/hds was bad, cassettes with low levels or DATs that wouldnt play or had massive dropouts were a real disappointment back in the day
[/quote]

Back in the day, when I was a fanatical SRV trader, I'd do cassette trades for the same show over and over in hopes of getting a lower gen.  I'd get it in my head that I wanted a copy of such and such as show (maybe because it was especially good sounding) in the lowest possible gen.  Then I'd get a list that showed it as being low gens, so I'd trade for it only to find out that it sounded worse than the version that I already had.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com