Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps small rig  (Read 33470 times)

Offline schoepsnbox

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Nbox...........Zero's and One's
Re: Schoeps small rig
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2009, 04:46:33 PM »
Physically does Nbox+ look the same as Nbox? How long does the Nbox(+) power the Schoeps caps for? Does it go in the mic-in or line-in of a recorder?
Physically they look the same, the inners are different....ie namely teflon capacitors.  The Nbox powers the schoeps for 10 hours on a fresh 4 9volts, the two pairs need to be swapped at the 5 hour mark.  It goes into the line in on any recorder. 

Sorry to sound stupid, I just want to know more about the nbox(+)....If I'm going line-in that means the levels are
adjusted on the nbox(+)?? I thought the nbox just power the mics.

The Nbox also has a pre-amp built in...and powers the mics as well.  Fixed 20 db gain, levels would be set on the recorder.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2009, 05:30:39 PM »
gain structure aside, one item of note when considering size is that a single 9V will run a pair of CMRs for almost 200 hrs. im working on a batterybox design using the 6V sivler oxide (3xSR44) batteries the CMBIs use that  should run for close to 100 hrs and be the size of a baby bic

Physically does Nbox+ look the same as Nbox? How long does the Nbox(+) power the Schoeps caps for? Does it go in the mic-in or line-in of a recorder?

Physically they look the same, the inners are different....ie namely teflon capacitors.  The Nbox powers the schoeps for 10 hours on a fresh 4 9volts, the two pairs need to be swapped at the 5 hour mark.  It goes into the line in on any recorder. 
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline schoepsnbox

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2009, 06:18:46 PM »
Maybe I don't get it, but to spend thousand of dollars on gear not to mention the price of tickets...your saying that your powering option is the best deal going..c'mon dude.

I get that you have a pair of these things you want to unload but don't compare what you are designing to a piece of gear that is tried and true.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2009, 06:32:57 PM »
wow settle down dude. my cmrs arent even for sale anymore.

not sure what youre trying to debate with your 'thousands of dollars of tickets' statement, maybe you typo'd and forgot to finish the sentence? This thread is about discussion of various schoeps small rig options , and as one of the few CMR owners on this board how can i not weigh in?

CMR is as tried-and-true as it gets. schoeps wouldnt put their name on it if it wasnt up to their standards. Myself and many others have been using the CMRs with excellent results.

and maybe im wrong but can you argue that something that uses 1/10 of the power to produce arguably similar results isnt in fact 'the best deal going' for powering in such an application? (yes im aware of the reduced output level, not a factor in mine and many others application). power takes up space, space is the subject of this thread. would be a disservice not to mention it here

Maybe I don't get it, but to spend thousand of dollars on gear not to mention the price of tickets...your saying that your powering option is the best deal going..c'mon dude.

I get that you have a pair of these things you want to unload but don't compare what you are designing to a piece of gear that is tried and true.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 06:37:07 PM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline nottingham

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection Member
  • There's wisemen hiding in the mountains
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 06:45:33 PM by nottingham »
Schoeps MK4-MK41>cmc6/Nbob actives/Naiant LB/Naiant TB > Sony M10/PMD620

Offline schoepsnbox

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2009, 06:44:04 PM »
wow settle down dude. my cmrs arent even for sale anymore.

not sure what youre trying to debate, this thread is about discussion of various schoeps small rig options right?

CMR is as tried-and-true as it gets. schoeps wouldnt put their name on it if it wasnt up to their standards. Myself and many others have been using the CMRs with excellent results.

and maybe im wrong but can you argue that something that uses 1/10 of the power to produce arguably similar results isnt in fact 'the best deal going' for powering in such an application (yes im aware of the reduced output level, not a factor in mine and many others application). power takes up space, space is the subject of this thread. would be a disservice not to mention it here

Not looking for a debate, and I give you credit for all your R&D with the CMR cables.  However you are saying that they are the end all soultion for a small schoeps rig and while you and a few others are getting good results with them it sure does not mean that it is the best sounding solution is what I'm saying..You dig. 

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2009, 06:44:55 PM »
id report on the battery life of the church cmr pre but havent done extensive studies on it yet. similar to what you describe, its two 9V's one powering mics, one powering gain stage. Also worth swapping mid-battery life as the mic side sips power relative to the gain stage.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2009, 06:51:06 PM »
yes, i dig that you are basically putting words in my mouth and claiming i said something i never did, which is bullshit, ya dig?

i never even brought up sound quality. you may notice that post was prefaced 'gain structure aside....'

obviously with a schoeps setup powering the capsules correctly to operate them at their full potential is the more difficult part. there are a dozen small preamp solutions not even considering internal gain stages of recorders. its up to the user to decide what preamp they want to use with these which is obviously highly subjective and probably outside the scope of this thread. yes an nbox is small and has a built in gain stage, a better apples to apples comparison would probably be nbox vs church pre+cmrs. sound quality would need to be evaluated but when it comes to powering the caps in a small footprint, the cmrs are gonna win everytime regardless of what you put behind them

Not looking for a debate, and I give you credit for all your R&D with the CMR cables.  However you are saying that they are the end all soultion for a small schoeps rig and while you and a few others are getting good results with them it sure does not mean that it is the best sounding solution is what I'm saying..You dig. 

Offline nottingham

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection Member
  • There's wisemen hiding in the mountains
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2009, 06:51:27 PM »
There is no end all solution, it’s like a fine wine what is good to me is not good to the other guy. There is a seat for every butt.
Schoeps MK4-MK41>cmc6/Nbob actives/Naiant LB/Naiant TB > Sony M10/PMD620

Offline schoepsnbox

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2009, 06:52:50 PM »
My question that has still gone unanswered is how much voltage is being applied to the capsule?? How is the CMR cables providing the good stuff that makes the mic do it's job properly?  Have you dissassembled the capsule end on these cables??  

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2009, 07:01:43 PM »
i havent but im sure its got the proper electronics to drive the capsule inside of it. I'm guessing its basically the 10-year evolution of the cmbi, taking advantage of smaller component size. i believe those have reduced output relative to a cmc6 as well, and are most certainly unbalanced like a CMR.

maybe they have some tricks where they apply a little less voltage and trade it off for a little sensitivity, that would be a question for bernhard. i cant imagine the caps would work if you deviated too much from the 50-60V or whatever it is they want

My question that has still gone unanswered is how much voltage is being applied to the capsule?? How is the CMR cables providing the good stuff that makes the mic do it's job properly?  Have you dissassembled the capsule end on these cables?? 

Offline schoepsnbox

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2009, 07:06:38 PM »
yes, i dig that you are basically putting words in my mouth and claiming i said something i never did, which is bullshit, ya dig?

i never even brought up sound quality. you may notice that post was prefaced 'gain structure aside....'

obviously with a schoeps setup powering the capsules correctly to operate them at their full potential is the more difficult part. there are a dozen small preamp solutions not even considering internal gain stages of recorders. its up to the user to decide what preamp they want to use with these which is obviously highly subjective and probably outside the scope of this thread. yes an nbox is small and has a built in gain stage, a better apples to apples comparison would probably be nbox vs church pre+cmrs. sound quality would need to be evaluated but when it comes to powering the caps in a small footprint, the cmrs are gonna win everytime regardless of what you put behind them

I didn't put any words in your mouth but I'll put an Nbox up against your CMR cables and bet money the Nbox would blow them away every time...Now I said it..I think the CMR cables are an inferior way to run the Schoeps..My opinion :P

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2009, 07:07:49 PM »
that said, considering the cost of KC5 cable ends, it may be worth your while to find this out. you could buy a  pair of them and figure out this stuff, and sell them with a version of the n-box that works with them at little or no cost to you. I'm sure youd learn something either way. sorry, i wont volunteer mine for surgery!

My question that has still gone unanswered is how much voltage is being applied to the capsule?? How is the CMR cables providing the good stuff that makes the mic do it's job properly?  Have you dissassembled the capsule end on these cables?? 

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2009, 07:10:35 PM »
well thats some serious shit talking there! considering youve never laid your hands on a cmr.  :D

Youre on!

send me a gain stage that is identical schematic to the nbox but doesnt power the caps and i be glad to compare them, i have several friends with nboxes i can borrow

I didn't put any words in your mouth but I'll put an Nbox up against your CMR cables and bet money the Nbox would blow them away every time...Now I said it..I think the CMR cables are an inferior way to run the Schoeps..My opinion :P

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2009, 07:15:54 PM »
for reference, pic of church pre next to an R09. the pre is flipped over, but its about 3/4" thick on the other side of the batteries

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10466474@N04/3724440883/

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com