Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Which would you consider more important?  (Read 6431 times)

Offline bluenote2005

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Which would you consider more important?
« on: August 14, 2009, 12:40:46 PM »
Would you consider the digital reorder or the microphone most important? If you're budget will allow you get the best of one of the two which would you spring for?
I lean toward the MIC. For me digital recording is going to be the same between the various units, but a real good mic can make all the difference in the world.
Any thoughts?

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Which would you consider more important?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 12:42:32 PM »
Microphones...end of discussion.  ;D
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 12:54:25 PM »

Microphones...end of discussion. 

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 12:56:35 PM »
I would also say the mic is the most important of the two choices.  Note that there are differences between digital recorders however.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 01:29:19 PM »
Mic, but back in the day the recorder was right up there as a very close second. Not so much anymore with these new fangled digi contraptions.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline J.Maye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Formerly Phan2001
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 01:50:03 PM »
Mics, but on the flip side, if you are using an all-in-1 recorder/pre/ad there is a pretty huge difference between plug in power on a minidisc and running a 722.
AKG CK91/92/93/94>mk93/h98>se300b>BM2P+ua5>M10
Or
CA ST11 (C,O)>9100>M10
Busman T mod R4

Offline mmadd29

• Taperssection Member
  • I've stopped drinking, but only while I'm asleep
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 01:54:23 PM »
Microphone, then microphone
Superlux CM-H8K > UA5 > iriver h120 > Wave Labs > EAC

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 02:11:04 PM »
Importance to sound quality flows right down the signal path, then proceeds in very marginal increments to the sampling rate, bit depth and cables. Of course it continues in the opposite direction coming out of whatever you are playing back on.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 03:55:38 PM »
Mics are more important.  In addition, mics don't become obsolete as fast as recorders and mics retain their value better than recorders.  I can think of some mics that will last you your lifetime and your kids will be able to sell them after you die for at least what you paid for them.  I hope I can get 10 years out of a recorder before it is so obsolete that it is worthless.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 04:30:31 PM »
Mics are more important.  In addition, mics don't become obsolete as fast as recorders and mics retain their value better than recorders.  I can think of some mics that will last you your lifetime and your kids will be able to sell them after you die for at least what you paid for them.  I hope I can get 10 years out of a recorder before it is so obsolete that it is worthless.

Well said. Microphones can die and become obsolete but not at the rate recorders and pre-amps do.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline 612

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 05:00:45 PM »
I would say mics but I just bought a Sony PCM D-50 because I wanted a 24 bit recorder with a digi-in.

A mic upgrade will have to wait for me.
Empty's Tapes & My recordings on the LMA

"Keep active, stay positive..." - a wise man

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 05:20:15 PM »
I thought the choice was going to be between something more difficult like raw sexual attraction vs engaging & intellectually stimulating conversation in a long-term relationship.

Transducers seem to be where the biggest challenges lie and most distortions occur (or where the voodoo happens, depending on your metaphysical persuasions) and so usually deliver the biggest audible return on investment.  Mics, phono-cartridges, headphones & speakers are the direct connections between the physical vibrations we sense as sound and the electrical world of voltages and currents.  Those are also the mechanical parts of the chain and so are more costly to produce than parts which benefit from miniaturization and Moore's Law cost savings.

Following that line of thought, the transformation from the electrical world of voltages and currents to the conceptual world of digital numeric values is another radical transformation. I'd list ADCs and DACs as next in line after physical transducers.  The amplification and digital storage parts are important to get right too, but pose less problems.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

adrianf74

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 04:07:13 AM »
What he said.

And others.   :P

Honestly, digital recorders are (more or less) digital recorders.  Back in the day when we were dealing with Digital Audio Tape, Analog Tape, MiniDisc, the recorder tended to matter A LOT more than the mics.

Nowadays, the mics are far more important.  Bad/cheap mics will sound that way.  Just keep in mind that different scenarios will require different mic pickup patterns so you may be required to pick up different capsules/mics depending on your needs/budget.

Offline bluenote2005

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 10:43:34 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback. So microphones win. I would have to believe.

One more question, preamps, the few I looked at seemed to large to conceal. Any good small ones that would work well with a Zoom H2 or H4 and are not to bulky?

Offline Belexes

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 10:58:39 AM »
I don't consider the CA-9100 very bulky.  Chris makes the CA-UGLY, which is much smaller, but I have no experience with it.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 11:00:57 AM »
One more question, preamps, the few I looked at seemed to large to conceal. Any good small ones that would work well with a Zoom H2 or H4 and are not to bulky?

I would go for the Church Audio mics, either CA-11 or CA-14, that you can get from one of the members here.  CA-14s have a non-removeable windscreen that you may or may not want but reportedly sound better.  But those would be the cheapest option to buy new, but you can also put out an ISO in the yard sale forum to look for AT853s (modular cap system) or microphone madness mics.  DPA 4060 are another good, stealthy option, but cost a lot more (~$1k).  Either way, you'll probably need a power source as well (a small battery box or a Church Audio 9100 or ugly preamp).  

Offline setboy

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 04:03:04 PM »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 04:41:58 PM »
Here's my ranking of things through a slightly wider lens, in order of importance:

1) the Talent (the actual performance)
2) recordist's skill/knowledge/art/wisdom
3) recording location (placement of rig, venue's sound system, physical acoustics, AUD situation)
4) recording gear (mics being the most important part, see note below)
5) post engineering knowledge/art/skill/wisdom (can't polish a turd, but can extract pearls from oysters)

Mics top the 4th category in my list.  They are the most important element of the 'recording gear' category not only because I consider the sound to voltage transducer aspect the most critical part of the gear chain, but primarily because the selection and application of them is an important tool used by 2) above in relation to 3).  For the most part, the recorder isn't.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 04:50:50 PM »
I don't consider the CA-9100 very bulky.  Chris makes the CA-UGLY, which is much smaller, but I have no experience with it.

The Church Audio CA-UGLY amp is not much larger than the 9V battery that powers the thing.  It's similar in design to the CA-9100, I think.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009, 05:04:06 PM »

The Church Audio CA-UGLY amp is not much larger than the 9V battery that powers the thing.  It's similar in design to the CA-9100, I think.

I posted info on the CA-UGLY recently over in the R-09HR thread, more details and a link to a bunch of photos of it are in a follow up post on the next page of that thread.

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2009, 07:26:51 PM »
I vote for mics as well. However, I give a close 2nd to your pre or battery box. If you can't properly power your mics, well, they'll pretty much be useless. Good luck with your decision. :)
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

easy jim

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2009, 08:43:37 PM »
Here's my ranking of things through a slightly wider lens, in order of importance:

1) the Talent (the actual performance)
2) recordist's skill/knowledge/art/wisdom
3) recording location (placement of rig, venue's sound system, physical acoustics, AUD situation)
4) recording gear (mics being the most important part, see note below)
5) post engineering knowledge/art/skill/wisdom (can't polish a turd, but can extract pearls from oysters)

Mics top the 4th category in my list.  They are the most important element of the 'recording gear' category not only because I consider the sound to voltage transducer aspect the most critical part of the gear chain, but primarily because the selection and application of them is an important tool used by 2) above in relation to 3).  For the most part, the recorder isn't.

^ well said

Offline paulbaptiste

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • in that sweet bye and bye
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2009, 11:45:41 PM »
As for the preamp, it matters what mics you are gonna be using.  If i had to buy new right now, i'd get a littlebox from Naiant, with minixlr's pip power, and XLR Phantom, best of both worlds.  And so far from the samples you'd be straight with a Iriver behind that.  And then spend what you want on mics. 

For smaller, stealth and open mics;  I'd vote 853's with a set of subcard caps and omni's, terminated in minixlr.  Then get some 853rx adaptors with minixlr male leads, so you can use them with phantom or without.  My vote.

Cheaper side of "open" mics.  I'd buy a set of Nak 300's and get them chopped (Busman).  And you'd still be able to run them off of PIP power from the little box, and still be able to use your phantom adaptors with leads for phantom power. 

I had this same setup, minus the littlebox, but having 2 seperate recorders for quite awhile and was very happy.
Official Archivist for The Felice Brothers and contact for guestlist/taper spots
Please contact me regarding upcoming shows as well as recordings for the bands archive
robertsnw@yahoo.com

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2009, 10:36:17 PM »
This wasn't included in your survey but I would say that it is:

1) Mic pre-amp and A to D converter
2) Mics
3) Data collection unit

Most "all in one units" that do conversion and act as a mic pre-amp can not do the job well enough to manage a high resolution signal. Those that do cost money, e.g, 722-744, or many of the Oade modified units, compared to a cheaper unit like a Micro Track 96/24.

When recording a P.A., I would sink my money into better conversion and Pre-amps than mics:

Example: 722-AKG 460 will get you better tapes than DPA 4022 into a Micro-track. However, add a V3 to the Micro Track and then the latter is the winner.

There are many other examples but I'll let the above speak for the larger dialog regarding my belief that conversion and pre-amps are the most critical.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2009, 12:21:51 AM »
I thought the choice was going to be between something more difficult like raw sexual attraction vs engaging & intellectually stimulating conversation in a long-term relationship.

I figured it was another peeing in the shower thread.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.288 seconds with 50 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com