Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How to "wear" preamp + recorder?  (Read 27572 times)

Offline -Q-

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: How to "wear" preamp + recorder?
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2009, 11:58:37 AM »
tonedeaf has switched to the darkside  ;D
the thing that i find funny about these threads is do you really need help figuring out these so call tricks? seems pretty cut and dry to me
I  don't know where i'm going but i'll get there.Reid Genauer

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2009, 01:19:39 PM »

True that! 

Honestly, the straw-that-broke-the-camels-back for me was when a key ts.com person advised me that, in promoting 'keep stealth stealth', I was coming off as being overbearing and self-righteous.  I know that my delivery isn't always the best, but the reality is that the ONLY reason I was responding was because I thought that I was helping to protect the integrity of the list. 

Since I had no personal reason to be self-righteous or overbearing on this particular issue (many issues yes, but not this one :)), and since key list players basically didn't agree with my methods to protect the integrity of the list (calling me out as being self-righteous and overbearing), I realized that my efforts weren't accomplishing anything for me personally.  So that's why I've moved to the 'dark side of indifference' on this issue.

As the saying goes...if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.  I haven't stealthed for a long time, but I know a thing or two about it and can help out those that ask.  ;)

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2009, 01:32:31 PM »
My preamp is bigger, but I carry it under my arm pit in a commercially made shoulder holster/wallet which I've modded for recording. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2009, 01:56:37 PM »
the thing that i find funny about these threads is do you really need help figuring out these so call tricks? seems pretty cut and dry to me

+1
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline SpokenMagicSpells

• Taperssection Regular
    • Hurbanoide
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2009, 02:44:20 PM »
Ask The Tapers...
Got a question about taping? We'd love to help! Newbie friendly!

Can I ask to to the site admin to remove the "Newbie friendly" from the subtitle of this section, please?

Thanks.

Hey DC++ hub owners: SHN is dying... Go FLAC!

[ RIG: CA-11 (cards) || CA-14 (cards & omnis) || CAFS-OMNI || AT853 (cards & omnis) > ST-9100 > EDIROL R09-HR (24bit/96KHz always!) ]

Offline Belexes

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2009, 02:55:15 PM »
Saying the discussion should go to PM's is still noob friendly.  When did PM's become unfriendly?

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline yousef

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2009, 03:24:18 PM »

QFT.

As far as I am concerned, there is only one trick or secret to stealth taping: common sense. Well, that and about 10 minutes of thought.

I suspect that this will always be the case until someone discovers a new (and capacious) body cavity or a way of routing mic leads through the skeleton.
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2009, 03:54:35 PM »
Ask The Tapers...
Got a question about taping? We'd love to help! Newbie friendly!

Can I ask to to the site admin to remove the "Newbie friendly" from the subtitle of this section, please?

Thanks.

zamana, You're question and your posts have all been legitimate and responsible, and as such, I'd like to take a second, as perhaps the most vocal of those responsible for the animosity or agitation in this thread, to apologize on behalf of TS for making you feel responsible for the rather heated debates that are swimming around right now. 

The fact of the matter is that your initial post broaches into a subject realm which is under constant contention amongst the members here: whether or not public discussion of specific stelthing techniques is kosher, and if not, and if so, what distinguishes "specific stealthing techniques" from general advice.

Again, I think that regardless of who thinks what with respect to this point, I feel that you personally have done absolutely nothing wrong in asking for input in the way you did.  I have tried, with my posts, to isolate and address my concerns to fellow TS'ers who are airing their techniques publicly when I (and many others) feel that these should be kept quiet. 

Now since this is a forum based on mutual respect and an environment of mutual growth and mentoring, I do feel that it is not out-of-line at all for you or anyone else to ask for help with stealthing practices.  I feel that it bears repeating though, that your inquiry was made with the utmost in care granted to the belief that many may not want these techniques aired publicly.  In other words, that you asked for responses to be made via-PM is a fantastic thing, and I think it speaks levels to your genuine regard for the "art" of stealthing.

I apologize that you have inadvertently triggered some debate, but please do not take it personally.  A lot of us here are always debating stupid crap like this all the time.  I think what matters most is that we maintain a certain level of decorum that will ensure that this forum remains to be an environment of learning and not just some petty bickering battle over pedantic nonsense.

I see that you are a rare-poster to the forum, member for bout a year and a half, and I truly hope that this experience doesn't scare you off of return visits and more frequent posts.  I remember when I first started visiting TS I was terrified of saying the wrong things or looking foolish or making people upset.  I lurked for a LLOOOONNNGGG time, just reading posts and following threads and rarely posting.  Over time you'll come to recognize that it is really difficult to truly offend or bother or anger people unless you are making a conscious effort to do so.

This forum has been online for about 7 years, and has nearly 1.6 million posts.  Many of the people here (myself included, I'm sure), can sometimes fall into the trap of forgetting that people who are new to the boards may not be privy to the enormous back-catalog of previous posts and discussions.

Basically, don't sweat it.  People here, no matter how much it may not feel like it some times, are really great, knowledgeable, nice, and helpful tapers who want to help you grow in the hobby.  I'm sorry for the part I've played in instigating this thread to take a turn towards the unfriendly, don't take it personally, I enjoy you and I really respect the hell out of the way you've posted.

Again, welcome to the hobby, and welcome to the (sometimes fiery) TS!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 04:02:17 PM by travelinbeat »
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

nathan_g

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2009, 04:45:41 PM »
^^^^^^^
@ travelinbeat...nicely put, although, I didn't detect any real animosity in this thread.

This is not the first time that this kind of subject is treated this way, so I think we should create some means to discuss this matter in group, but no publicly. Is this possible?

I don't see any practical way to have a private group discussion. Maybe some sort of email list? Even then, it would only be semi-private. Of course, I don't see any real problem with discussing stealth techniques. I understand that some folks feel that doing so is going to somehow give away all the 'secrets'...secrets that aren't really so secret in the first place.

Respectfully, the idea that security guys are forensically examining the million and a half posts here in an effort to figure out how people are sneaking gear in, to me seems a bit far fetched...for several reasons.

For one, these guys probably don't get paid enough to care too much what we do. Second, concealment is concealment...whether you're bringing in a pint of liquor or a pair of mics. Speaking of liquor...as a rule, that's what they're probably looking for. Liquor and weapons...things that can get people hurt and the venue/promoter/band sued. Financial liabilities. Third, stealth recording has been going on for over 40 years in some form or other. Pretty much anything you can come up with has very likely been done before and is relatively common knowledge. Fourth, these security personnel are just doing a job. They're just regular people for the most part, working to make ends meet. I'd be willing to bet that most of them are no more aware of our little hobby than the average person on the street.

I'm not trying to make waves...just sort of thinking out loud.

My preamp is bigger, but I carry it under my arm pit in a commercially made shoulder holster/wallet which I've modded for recording. 

I'd thought about doing this same thing but figured heat and/or humidity might become a problem. Any issues there?

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2009, 05:01:46 PM »
...things that can get people hurt and the venue/promoter/band sued. Financial liabilities.

I know that this is wandering even further from the original post, but I seem to remember hearing once that a venue could potentially get sued and face some pretty serious and hefty financial repercussions for being deemed too lax on unauthorized taping. If I remember correctly, an artists' management and / or promoter has a fairly well established legal precedent for pursuing litigation against any venue with a couple of tapes floating around... essentially, part of the venue's job is to ensure that recording isn't taking place, and if it happens (and if the promoter / mgmt wants to be a bit ridiculous about it), they can sue for breach of contract.
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

nathan_g

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2009, 05:12:56 PM »
Never heard of that, myself. Not saying you're wrong, I just haven't heard of this. If this is the case and the law were broadly applied, we can all say goodbye to a number of legendary venues...The Catalyst, 9:30 Club, Ram's Head, The Ryman, The Showbox, The Birchmere, Variety Playhouse...so many others.

• Taperssection Regular
    • Hurbanoide
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2009, 06:27:18 PM »
Saying the discussion should go to PM's is still noob friendly.  When did PM's become unfriendly?

Belexes,

The response to your question is: never.

But, if you misunderstood my post, and to me this is the case here, this is my fault, because I didn't say directly for what I was talking about. I was referring to this, from "-Q-":

This made me feel a... "sub-noob". Obviously I have my stealth methods, but I want to know what others do. What's wrong with that?

And "-Q-",

I have nothing personal against you. I can't, because I don't know you, but to me this kind of statement sounded unfriendly. It was the heat of the moment... Sorry.

[ RIG: CA-11 (cards) || CA-14 (cards & omnis) || CAFS-OMNI || AT853 (cards & omnis) > ST-9100 > EDIROL R09-HR (24bit/96KHz always!) ]

• Taperssection Regular
    • Hurbanoide
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2009, 07:12:31 PM »
travelinbeat and nathan_g,

I would like to thank both of you by your kindly words. Even if you don't want, you are my friends now :-)

travelinbeat,

you don't need to apologize, because all you did until now was help me.

I started to tape shows in March/2008, less than 2 years ago, and I live in a big country, with more than 200 million people, but my guess is that there are half a dozen tapers here. So, from whom can I learn a bit fast than normal? From nobody, because I don't know anybody who does the same as I do. So, my only and last resource is this forum. You should know that you are very important for people who doesn't live in Europe or North America...

I don't have nothing to teach right now, but I have the whole world to learn from you.

I'm very thankfull to people that spent his time to give me advices, in public or (specially) in private. I'm just upset because this thread lose the plot and became one more of those "keep 'stealth' stealth blah blah blah".

nathan_g

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2009, 09:21:16 PM »
I would like to thank both of you by your kindly words. Even if you don't want, you are my friends now :-)

:)

You can't have too many friends!

Offline Belexes

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2009, 10:14:02 PM »
essentially, part of the venue's job is to ensure that recording isn't taking place, and if it happens (and if the promoter / mgmt wants to be a bit ridiculous about it), they can sue for breach of contract.

...and then the band never plays there again. That's a double edged sword.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com