Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: what constitutes an act of god (insurance content)  (Read 5611 times)

Offline spcyrfc

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
what constitutes an act of god (insurance content)
« on: February 22, 2010, 05:41:18 PM »
i am getting ready to step up my gear just a bit.  have been shopping around heavily and am getting ready to plung in this or that pool.  on BH, i looked at the ADH protection plan and noticed term or item (5).
seems a bit odd and highly open to interpertation.

how do y'all insure you gear in the field/car/home?

WHAT IS NOT COVERED: THIS PLAN DOES NOT COVER: (1) INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (2) PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS; (3) DAMAGE FROM ABUSE, MISUSE, INTRODUCTION OF FOREIGN OBJECTS INTO THE PRODUCT, UNAUTHORIZED PRODUCT MODIFICATIONS OR ALTERATIONS, FAILURE TO FOLLOW THE MANUFACTURER’S INSTRUCTIONS; (4) ACCESSORIES AND SUPPLIES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO: BULBS AND/OR LAMPS, BATTERIES, ANTENNAS, CARTRIDGES, STYLUSES, RECORDS, AUDIO/VIDEO DISKS, TAPES, COMPUTER SOFTWARE OR DISKS, PRINT ELEMENTS, EXTERNAL POWER SUPPLIES; (5) ACTS OF GOD; (6) PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE; (7) INHERENT PRODUCT DEFECTS, (8) MULTI-USER ORGANIZATIONS, PUBLIC RENTAL, OR COMMUNAL USE IN MULTI-FAMILY HOUSING; (9) DAMAGE WHICH IS NOT REPORTED WITHIN 30 DAYS AFTER EXPIRATION OF THIS PLAN; (10) LOSS OR DAMAGE TO STORED DATA, REPAIRS RELATED TO INSTALLED SOFTWARE, COMPUTER VIRUSES, CRACKED OR PHYSICALLY DAMAGED SCREENS OR COMPUTER HARDWARE WHICH IS ADDED AFTER THE ORIGINAL PURCHASE; (11) BURNED-IN PHOSPHOR IN CATHODE RAY TUBES OR ANY OTHER TYPE OF DISPLAY; (12) ANY DAMAGE TO RECORDING MEDIA INCLUDING ANY SOFTWARE PROGRAMS, DATA, OR CONFIGURATION/SETUP INFORMATION RESIDENT ON ANY MASS STORAGE DEVICES SUCH AS HARD DRIVES, CD-ROM DRIVES, DVD DRIVES, FLOPPY DISKETTES, TAPE DRIVES OR TAPE BACKUP SYSTEMS, AS A RESULT OF THE MALFUNCTIONING OR DAMAGE OF AN OPERATING OR NON-OPERATING PART, OR AS A RESULT OF ANY REPAIRS OR REPLACEMENT UNDER THIS PLAN; (13) PRODUCTS WITH REMOVED OR ALTERED SERIAL NUMBERS; (14) LOSS OR CORRUPTION OF DATA AND/OR THE RESTORATION OF SOFTWARE AND OPERATING SYSTEMS; (15) LOSS AND/OR THEFT OF THE PRODUCT; (16) LOSS OF USE, LOSS OF BUSINESS, LOSS OF PROFITS, DOWN-TIME AND CHARGES FOR TIME AND EFFORT; (17) ANY FAILURES, OR PARTS AND/OR LABOR COST INCURRED AS A RESULT OF A MANUFACTURER’S RECALL (18) DAMAGE COVERED UNDER ANY INSURANCE POLICY, OR ANY OTHER WARRANTY OR SERVICE PLAN.
mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: what constitutes an act of god (insurance content)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 07:29:04 PM »
i am getting ready to step up my gear just a bit.  have been shopping around heavily and am getting ready to plung in this or that pool.  on BH, i looked at the ADH protection plan and noticed term or item (5).

It's a legal term for "shit that was not predictable, highly unlikely, and uncontrollable". Your gear getting hit by lightning for example. I remember laughing about it when I first read it in our contracts for bands to perform and the head manager explained it as the above.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline run_run_run

• Trade Count: (7)

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 09:56:25 PM »
A standard homeowner or renters policy should cover theft on/off your premises.  With our type of equipment, that's a major exposure. Others are breakage from being dropped and something such as beer being spilled on your deck.  Those types of exposures need to be treated by adding an endorsement/rider onto your standard policy. It's usually not that expensive and well worth the cost considering some of the pricey equipment we haul out in the field.

I'm an insurance professional and I never buy the store warranties. They are rip-offs with so many exclusions that I get a headache trying to figure out what it would actually cover.  It's a big money maker with retailers and sales contests are centered around them.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 05:50:46 AM »

It's a legal term for "shit that was not predictable, highly unlikely, and uncontrollable". Your gear getting hit by lightning for example. I remember laughing about it when I first read it in our contracts for bands to perform and the head manager explained it as the above.

There as a film a while ago - when an insurance company refused to pay out and said "act of God" the man took the Church to court for the money.  As God's representatives, if God did it then he should pay up.

Great film.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 08:40:45 AM »
FWIW I spoke with my insurance company about whether I could obtain a "valuable personal property" policy on my gear (same policy that covers wife's engagement ring, and theoretically could cover other valuable jewelry, etc.).  I was told that because the gear was not a "musical instrument" or something I used for work, they could not cover it under that.  They then went on to tell me that they would cover an expensive camera.  Now how some mics etc. that capture sound on an amateur basis are different than a camera that captures images on an amateur basis, I don't know.

I should ask if my renter's policy also covers it.  But from what I understand, valuable personal property policies are more expansive, and even cover, for example, losing a ring down a drain or something of that nature.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 09:19:32 AM »
FWIW I spoke with my insurance company about whether I could obtain a "valuable personal property" policy on my gear (same policy that covers wife's engagement ring, and theoretically could cover other valuable jewelry, etc.).  I was told that because the gear was not a "musical instrument" or something I used for work, they could not cover it under that.  They then went on to tell me that they would cover an expensive camera.  Now how some mics etc. that capture sound on an amateur basis are different than a camera that captures images on an amateur basis, I don't know.

I should ask if my renter's policy also covers it.  But from what I understand, valuable personal property policies are more expansive, and even cover, for example, losing a ring down a drain or something of that nature.

Look for another insurance company.  Sounds like yours is overly selective about what they cover.  My homeowners covers my gear, cameras and everything.  Plenty of people have hobby related home studios and there are lent of insurance companies that will cover the equipment.

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline Belexes

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 09:24:15 AM »
The industry has classes of property which they insured: jewelry, musical instruments, valuable coins, stamps, etc

Our equipment doesn't fall under any of the standard classes, but there are non-standard coverage forms to coverage the property from direct physical loss. If your agent says what acidjack's said, they don't have a broad enough market in their agency to handle the request. (look elsewhere)

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 05:51:43 PM »
i use State Farm w/ no problems.  ed
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 06:47:50 PM »
The industry has classes of property which they insured: jewelry, musical instruments, valuable coins, stamps, etc

Our equipment doesn't fall under any of the standard classes, but there are non-standard coverage forms to coverage the property from direct physical loss. If your agent says what acidjack's said, they don't have a broad enough market in their agency to handle the request. (look elsewhere)
I'm with USAA... they're quite large.  To clarify, they didn't say my renter's policy would not cover - they said I could not take out a valuable personal property policy on the mics.  That policy is broader, more expensive and more powerful than a renter's policy - it basically covers any damn thing that is done to the property (flushing engagement ring down the drain, etc.)

I should, however, see if my renter's covers it..
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 02:39:31 PM »
As a lawyer, I will say that an Act of God is anything the insurance company says it is. 

I've not seen many insurers pay up over the years.  Doesn't mean you can't take them to Court and win. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline splumer

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Go ahead, try this at home
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 02:50:20 PM »
Wouldn't you have to prove something happened to your gear, though? "Yeah, my SD722 got stolen. Can you give me $1500 to get a new one?" Sure, buddy, we'll get right on it!

I think covering it and actually paying out in the case of a loss are two entirely different things.
"Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be here. "
 - Lawrence Krauss

Offline phanophish

• ImageLume Photography
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 03:08:01 PM »
Wouldn't you have to prove something happened to your gear, though? "Yeah, my SD722 got stolen. Can you give me $1500 to get a new one?" Sure, buddy, we'll get right on it!

I think covering it and actually paying out in the case of a loss are two entirely different things.

Typically you must provide a police report of a theft.  Or photos etc, of a damaged device.  Add to that your deductible.  They don't just give you a check for the full amount but it is not that bad.

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?

Offline Belexes

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 07:42:00 AM »
I am a claim rep by trade:

- Provide a police report
- Provide your statement of the loss
- Provide the original invoice or something showing proof of ownership

Paid less deductible. No lawyers involved.  ::)

Offline phanophish

• ImageLume Photography
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 05:40:33 PM »
I am a claim rep by trade:

- Provide a police report
- Provide your statement of the loss
- Provide the original invoice or something showing proof of ownership

Paid less deductible. No lawyers involved.  ::)

Exactly my experience.  Had a camera stolen about 10 years back.  Insurance company was great to deal with.  Again, if people are having these kind of issues with your insurance company why are you still giving them your business?  There are tons of options out there and the good ones really do not cost any more than the bad.

Offline J.Maye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Formerly Phan2001
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 05:47:14 PM »
Not to be a dick to the OP, but if you dont feel comfortable picking up the phone and calling the guy who you'll call if something actually does go wrong..................................................................You might want to shop around. I know my stuff is covered if it's in the house with my renters. If at the club and a beer ends up in the bag too bad so sad unless I get a rider for the rear much like a ring, which Im rolling the dice on. 
AKG CK91/92/93/94>mk93/h98>se300b>BM2P+ua5>M10
Or
CA ST11 (C,O)>9100>M10
Busman T mod R4

Offline spcyrfc

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 02:29:39 PM »
Not to be a dick to the OP, but if you dont feel comfortable picking up the phone and calling the guy who you'll call if something actually does go wrong..................................................................You might want to shop around. I know my stuff is covered if it's in the house with my renters. If at the club and a beer ends up in the bag too bad so sad unless I get a rider for the rear much like a ring, which Im rolling the dice on.

i dont see this as being a dick, but not so relevant to the original post.  i dont have anyone to call yet, and when i do, i will shop around as people have suggested. 
mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com