Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: BEST GEAR BAG???  (Read 20021 times)

Offline fsulloway

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: BEST GEAR BAG???
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2010, 03:33:32 PM »
Certainly being aware as you head to the car after shows (and traveling in numbers as pointed out)  is a wise plan.  In regard to inside shows, I'm amazed more gear doesn't get swiped at shows - I can't tell you how many folks show up, set all their gear up and take off to go boogie for the entire show.  Can't say I ever remember someone actually grabbing gear in a show but seems like it must have happened.  I don't know anyone who's ever been mugged after a show but I do know a few folks who have taken their gear to their car after show or left some gear in the trunk during a show and had their cars broken into.  My stuff never leaves my site.  After a show, it's with me until I leave and then it's straight back to wherever I'm staying.  I've been tempted to go out partying or eating with folks after a show but I am not willing to leave my gear in the car to do it.  At this point in my life, no quicker way to put me in permanent taping retirement than to steal all my gear.

My friend Brian and I had a V2 stolen at Panic 4/20/01. It had to have happened after the show while we were pulling the stand down and breaking down the sabra soms and mics. The person who did this had a plan and acted quickly. Mic D on here pulled over at a convenience store to get some rest on his way back from a Portsmouth Panic show and awoke to somebody grabbing his gear bag and running off into the night. Yeah of course the door should have been locked but unfortunately it wasn't. If I remember correctly he lost the mbho's, v2, ad2k, and dap1. ouch!!
schoeps ccm4's, mk4v, mk2h, mk41
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

"Wilmington, North Carolina....Let us hear your motherf***in' pride!" Patterson Hood 12-09-04

"Just About Unwound From Chasing Down The Sound"

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2010, 07:50:24 PM »
that sucks.
I had an R9 stolen at an ABB show a few years back.  It sucked....., really sucked.

Offline dgale

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2010, 10:25:08 AM »
My only memories along the stolen gear line...my buddy John put his gear (nak 300s, D5 etc.) after the first GD show at the BCT in '86 and then returned to party a bit in the park in front of the venue...came back <an hour later and someone had broken into his trunk and all his gear was gone.  I figure the hairballs that habitually hang in the park (or at least did at the time) were watching for folks to do this and then hit the cars accordingly.  I remember him showing up the next night with a D6 he had hastily gone out and bought and he no longer had his mics...we scrambled for a patch the other three nights.  I also remember my friend Mike going to see a show at Slims in SF maybe ~10 years ago - I think he got denied bringing gear in at the door or something like that, so he took it back to the car, put it in the trunk and returned to the show...you guessed the rest.  He lost his trusty Senn 421s he'd had for 20+ years, along with I think a D8 and some other gear.  At least in the Bay Area, most of the venues are not in the greatest of neighborhoods (ie the Fillmore, Slims, the Fox and Paramount in Oakland, etc) and even when the neighborhood seems okay, hairballs are everywhere, insides shows and out, and will prey on you the second you put your guard down.  As David said, my stuff doesn't leave my sight.  If they wouldn't let me into a show with my gear, I go home and miss the show before I leave it in the car unattended. 
http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2010, 07:13:39 AM »
petrol users - you have to use right angle xlrs with a v2/v3, right?

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2010, 10:12:09 AM »

not necessarily. If you suspend the unit using velcro straps, you could probably get away with straight connectors. of course it is always better to have RA if possible.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2010, 10:18:24 AM »
wonder what the odds are that I can find some right angle cables by 6am tomorrow morning without going into NYC...

Offline scb

« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2010, 10:28:12 AM »
the 402x xlrs are kind of extra long...wonder if they'll fit without having to raise the v3 too high..

thanks

Offline Big Perm

• Trade Count: (67)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Rage, Rest, work a lot, Repeat
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2010, 12:03:01 PM »
the 402x xlrs are kind of extra long...wonder if they'll fit without having to raise the v3 too high..

thanks

use some stubbie RA interconnects and avoid having to go into the back of the machine every time you set up your gear.  When i ran a V2, i left the interconnect in all the time, and would plug my mics into them. I found it MUCH easier than having to deal with taking the V2 out of the bag or flipping it over etc.
a
Mics: Schoeps mk4v| mk41v | mk22 | mk8 & mk5 (m/s)
         Schoeps m222> nt222dc (x2)
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         Schoeps KCY 250/5 IG (x2) Schoeps KC 5g (x2)
         DPA 4015c
Pre’s: Sonosax SX-M2D2
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2
Recorder: Sonosax sx-r4+, SD702, Sony m10

Offline scb

« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2010, 06:54:06 PM »

not necessarily. If you suspend the unit using velcro straps, you could probably get away with straight connectors. of course it is always better to have RA if possible.

I have no idea how I would suspend the unit using velcro if i'm using both the xlr in and xlr out and NOT using riht angles.  I wouldn't really be able to hold on to anything on the left side since there'd be cables plugging in the entire left side.

right angles it is. 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 07:37:44 PM by scb »

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2010, 11:07:36 PM »
There is room to route elastic cord (or zip ties) between the xlr connectors.

Offline Big Perm

• Trade Count: (67)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Rage, Rest, work a lot, Repeat
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2010, 07:23:55 AM »
I just stuck a large piece of velcro on th V2. Then just stuck it right to the divider in a Pegz-1. No straps, just regular ole thick Velcro from home depot.
a

I have no idea how I would suspend the unit using velcro if i'm using both the xlr in and xlr out and NOT using riht angles.  I wouldn't really be able to hold on to anything on the left side since there'd be cables plugging in the entire left side.

right angles it is.
Mics: Schoeps mk4v| mk41v | mk22 | mk8 & mk5 (m/s)
         Schoeps m222> nt222dc (x2)
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         Schoeps KCY 250/5 IG (x2) Schoeps KC 5g (x2)
         DPA 4015c
Pre’s: Sonosax SX-M2D2
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2
Recorder: Sonosax sx-r4+, SD702, Sony m10

Offline 12milluz

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2010, 10:22:20 AM »
I'm looking for a bag for my AT853>littlebox>DR-07 rig. Does anyone have a similar rig and a picture of how its set up in their bag? I'm not sure what kind of bag would work well with a preamp with the controls on its side and a handheld recorder with screen. How do you guys organize a rig like this?
Audio-Technica AT853(c), Audio-Technica AT825>Naiant Littlebox>Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com