Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What happened? (Busman > PS2 > CA ST9100 = weird L channel)  (Read 3621 times)

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
So I was running Busman BSC1's with hyper caps and big-ass shure windscreens, at 10" with cables running into a Denecke PS-2.  The PS2 spits out XLR, so I use a HOSA adapter (I know...) to make those dual XLR males into one stereo 3.5 for the 9100.  The 9100 pre then drops the signal into my R-09HR.  I've done this setup a million times with no problems, but this time, my 9100's clipping light stayed bright red, even though I couldn't hear anything wrong when I tried to monitor it.  I'm guessing that this problem will be the 9100, because during an intermission, I swapped out all batteries with new ones (the originals were new, but who knows), checked all connections, switched my link from the 9100 to the R09HR, and double checked that the caps were screwed down securely on the mics.  Another short test involved unplugging everything from the 9100 and just turning it on... any cable activity was met with about 30-60 seconds of no activity from the clipping light, then it came on weakly, then stronger, then all the way; even with no cables plugged in.  Unplug either the input or output, the light goes off for a while, plug in either in or out, and the light goes out for a comparable amount of time (30 seconds or so).  Just when I thought I had the whole thing solved, and that I had diagnosed a problem with the 9100, it operated fine throughout the second set (90min or so).  I have no idea what's going on, so here's a screenshot, I can get audio samples if that'll help.

BTW: The show was Counting Crows at Pier 6 Pavilion in Baltimore MD

Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: What happened? (Busman > PS2 > CA ST9100 = weird L channel)
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 12:41:00 PM »
WARNING: I have absolutely no Electrical Engineering knowledge.  But that being said.  I had a similar looking wave coming from a modded UA-5.  I talked to Chris Busman and he said it was most likely an Op amp acting up.  I did not have quite the same problem but based on the looks of the waveform it sure looked a lot like that.  I also have no idea if a mic has anything like an op amp in it or if it is the 9100 pre.  If I were you I'd try to get a way to run the mics on a different pre and different mics on the 9100 pre so you see which one is causing you grief

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 02:26:17 PM »
I had a similarly odd waveform when I had an op amp in my old modSBM-1 go bad years ago.

Are you able to swap out components to try to isolate the device causing the issue?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline travelinbeat

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 04:33:05 PM »
Well one of the strange parts about the issue is that it did not manifest itself at all in the second set, so I don't think that a swapping gear test would be accurate, as there is no conclusive way to determine whether a good result is the result of good gear or just that the bad gear isn't acting up.
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 05:10:49 PM »
Well one of the strange parts about the issue is that it did not manifest itself at all in the second set, so I don't think that a swapping gear test would be accurate, as there is no conclusive way to determine whether a good result is the result of good gear or just that the bad gear isn't acting up.

But a controlled recreation/test is ideal to eliminate particular pieces of equipment and cables.

You didn't make mention of the high pass filter or windcut, were they both in matching positions?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 06:14:26 PM »
I'm behind a firewall and can't see your waveform at the moment, so I'm commenting without seeing the whole picture.

If you use Hosa impedance transformers (or any other brand), one side of a transformer is just a coil, so plugging that into the ST9100 acts like a dead short across the DC "plug in power" circuit on the ST9100.  I've seen Chris Church advise against doing that with Nak CM300's, and I think this is similar.  I think he said something to the effect of "It's hard on the ST9100.  You might get away with it for a while, but eventually it will probably burn up".  I hate to say it, but if your 9100 is acting funky, I suspect that is your problem.   I think you can run PS2 > 9100 without the Hosa transformers, and the blocking caps on the PS2 will stop the plug in power like an open circuit as opposed to a short circuit.  At least I think that is the case.  Better ask Chris to be sure.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 09:55:32 PM »

The only thing you can do is connect one thing at a time until you find out what in the chain is causing the problem.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline travelinbeat

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 10:06:29 PM »

The only thing you can do is connect one thing at a time until you find out what in the chain is causing the problem.

Well, at one point in the field, the 9100 was completely unplugged from everything (save the 9V), and it was still lighting up as though it was clipping.  I'd think for sure that this would indicate that there's something screwy going on with the 9100, but I don't know anything about how the device works.  Is there something in there that would cause a waveform like this for one recording then 20 minutes later produce a normal waveform?  Also, I tried turning the completely unplugged 9100 all the way down to just above where it clicks off, and its red clip indicator was unaffected.  Guesses?

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 11:59:37 PM »
Its funny, come to think of it had this same affect with a set of hypers as well.  If I remember correctly I chalked it up to wall reflection.  The Pa was far left, but i had the mics set up with a spread and I then balanced out the sound via the gain controls.....

I have a question....was there anything impeading the sound on that channel?  a wall, another mic, an object of some kind....or were you set up in a less thab ideal spot...

OOK

DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline travelinbeat

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 12:00:15 AM »
I have a question....was there anything impeading the sound on that channel?  a wall, another mic, an object of some kind....or were you set up in a less thab ideal spot...
Nothing at all close by:

(of course this is while the venue was still pretty much empty, but even with people standing in front of the mics, there were several feet between the tops of their heads and the bottom of the mics)

Offline tbrown4

• Trade Count: (45)
    • Tim's Adventures in Sound
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 10:16:06 AM »
I used to have a very similar problem when using the PS2.....and I figured out that it happened when the battery was getting close to drained.
AKG C460Bs/A61s/CK61s or CK63s -> Naiant LittleBox -> Edirol R09-HR

http://timothydavidbrown.blogspot.com/

FS: Dead Muppets. Custom "dead rat" style windscreen covers
$25/pair, shipped. Various color/pattern choices
Currently not building orders, the "shop" is temporarily closed. Accepting names on a waiting list.
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=137563.msg1786318

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 12:17:41 AM »
Nothing at all close by:

(of course this is while the venue was still pretty much empty, but even with people standing in front of the mics, there were several feet between the tops of their heads and the bottom of the mics)

And the plot thickens.... well I am at a loss.....  wondering why it happened to me....I was going mic > 702..... everything was charged full...

OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline travelinbeat

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 10:13:42 AM »
any more thoughts?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com