Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

Should stealth discussion be conducted stealthily on ts.com?

I'm apathetic; I really don't care one way or the other.
29 (14.7%)
No, it's OK to discuss stealth taping on ts.com.
72 (36.5%)
Yes, stealth discussion should not be conducted publicly on ts.com.
35 (17.8%)
I'd prefer stealth conversation to be conducted stealthily, but I don't think it matters much
53 (26.9%)
I hate stealth taping/discussion altogether and wish there was a way for ts.com to ban it completely
8 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 194

Author Topic: Poll: Should Stealth Discussion Be Stealth?  (Read 39712 times)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Poll: Should Stealth Discussion Be Stealth?
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2012, 04:12:55 PM »
uhmmm,.... talking about mounting to the body is talking about 5†3@7†h.

refers back to the Zappa quote.

My post actually said:

"what mics to use for mounting to your body (which isn't necessarily stealthing)"

For example:

Q: What mics are good for mounting to my body/can be self-worn?
A: Countryman B3, DPA 4061, Church Audio blah blah blah...

That's not talking about stealth.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2012, 04:40:10 PM »
Oh, math comprehension was not taught in your school....I get it.

Sorry  ::)

Boohoo, you are going to make me cry.

The ultimate in internet discussion... the ad hominem argument.  ::)

vanark, you are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.

I'm stupid.  Okay.  Got it.  You're winning me over with your irrefutable logic.

If you ain't right, you better get right!

I didn't say it, you did.

It's right there, next to your avatar on the left.

Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2012, 06:46:38 PM »
Moke Zappa wasn't too keen on censorship.

And I wasn't too keen on his stance.  When he started becoming a political spokesman, and quit playing the guitar, and telling me how to live my life, I quit buying his records, quit attending his concerts, and completely lost interest in his rhetoric.  Then he started into that avant-garde "classical" crap, and that was the final nail in the sealing off of any further interest in Zappa.
I'd been a hardcore fan of his since around 1970, when I started buying and collecting his records. I have something like 35 vinyl releases of his, and seen him live probably a dozen times.  There isn't very much about him that I didn't absorb, up to that point.
I appreciate your attempt at informing me of this though.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 06:56:51 PM by m0k3 »

mfrench

« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2012, 06:55:48 PM »

My post actually said:

"what mics to use for mounting to your body (which isn't necessarily stealthing)"

For example:

But, per typical reaction around here, for a decade, as soon as someone starts talking about the gear, technique always follows, every friggin time, without fail.  Its best just left alone, and not discussed.
Small is small - let the creative mind run with that, without spoon feeding them all the technique details; without mentioning anything about stealth; without mentioning how to get gear in, or what to do with it.  Let people figure that stuff out in the old school way.  There is nothing so sacred about a rock concert that doesn't get well recorded (or recorded at all), not a friggin thing - BFD if a loud PA rendition of music goes unrecorded, the earth will still spin, and the sun will rise the next morning.
Sorry, AJ, my post wasn't directed at you, so much as it was a generalized encapsulation of what I just expressed.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2012, 07:46:58 PM »
If you ain't right, you better get right!

I didn't say it, you did.

It's right there, next to your avatar on the left.

And you can't follow directions?  ;) :-*

ETA: World Boogie is coming!
http://fackyouk.blogspot.com/2009/08/world-boogie-is-coming.html
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 08:04:37 PM by vanark »
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline jagraham

« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2012, 10:52:37 PM »
Before I read a word of this, stealth discussion should go on but specific techniques shouldn't.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

nathan_g

« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2012, 11:13:19 PM »
for the dipshits, ^^

So I'm a dipshit...yawn.  I realize stealth discussion is kind of the third rail around here but really? Such hostility for engaging in a discussion about having a discussion?? You're gonna give people a seizure with that Hoff gif...although I can't help but chuckle when it pops up...

Other forums and company fliers discussing body mic'ing theater actors? that's quite a stretch.

Respectfully, I disagree. If a stage actor or even the local weatherman ditched the bodypack transmitter, plugged in a M10, went to a show and sat near the stacks...they could get away with a nice pull. They use largely the same kit many of us do...they just apply it differently. The theater folks actually have some pretty useful info regarding mounting lav mics in less than obvious ways. I voted 'I'm apathetic...' - I see no harm in pointing newcomers in the right direction. TS doesn't have to become 'Stealth University' to accommodate the noobs but to prohibit outright the dissemination of constructive information is...well...pointless. Just my .02. I'm not trying to change the status quo here.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2012, 11:51:08 PM »
The Hoff appearances are harmelss, pretty funny and effective, really.

Unless you suffer from epileptic seizures and/or the sight of Hasselhoff in a banana hammock makes you vomit uncontrollably.

Out of respect for those that don't want stealth discussed, I selected the conduct stealthy stealth discussion, not none at all.  To me this means post your question and expect info via PM or email.  Or just google and read.  The info is out there and you need to adjust for your own style/comfort/situation.

This is pretty much the way I've looked at it, personally.  I also don't stealth all that much but the situations I've been in don't really call for uber tactics.  Regardless, you sure as shit ain't getting any of my Jedi mind control techniques out of me. ;D

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2012, 12:28:29 AM »
I voted "apathy", I don't care one way or the other...

But shouldn't this discussion be about whether or not we somehow condone the taping of bands that don't allow it???  Or are we assuming that a discussion of  >:D automatically means taping those bands???

There are more than a few bands that allow, or are apathetic to, lo-pro taping.  Some have a wide taping/trading network (U2 and Radiohead are good examples).  I think discussing lo-pro options is appropriate when discussing these types of bands, while open discussions of taping the next Krim show is painting a target on us...  I have no real issues with the discussion of technique, but I think the discussion of said practice relative to taping some bands should be taboo... 

The fact that we may talk about guns, knives, and bombs doesn't mean we intend to shoot, stab or explode people... 

YMMV...

Terry
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 12:31:20 AM by -T Watts (still not wearing pants) »
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2012, 01:25:27 AM »
While we are at it lets talk about the best way to cheat on your taxes. There are 42,000 members here and statistically there must be hundreds that have cheated before. How did you do it? I'm certain that I'd get caught the first time I attempt this so I don't mess around with the IRS but I'd love to hear about your techniques. Please tell what you know.
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline climbingbear

• Taperssection Newbie
  • shut up & DANce
    • my recordings on lma:
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2012, 03:23:46 AM »
my $0.02:

there are two big elements to taping that come into play here, that i think of right away & help influence my vote:  (i like the education as to why folks feel different ways regarding  >:D…)

*creativity- to be a good recordist and taper, one must be somewhat creative and adaptive to unforeseen situations.  i don't care what realm of  taping your in--  we've all been there.  and these situations make us more creative tapers.  creative gear, makes us even better tapers(...sometimes).

*sociality- at open taping, live, music events, tapers come together-- by hook or by crook, because of taper sections, board locations, balcony locations, stack taping, yo mamas sweet spot, lip taping…  or --because you're from out of town and have no idea where to set up, so you seek the advice of that other person, setting up mics, over there…  (my first visit to gamh in sanfran comes to mind, for me)

about gear?:
i like the idea of openly talking on ts about the gear one would use to do it.  its out there.  folks need a good source of quality & diverse technical info…  nothing to be quiet about in that regard.
not everyone is here to get info on taping live music… but might be into recording other audio--- outdoor, night, sounds at a secluded cabin--- an interview--- theater & stage production---  a school project---  anything.  why not talk openly about products on the market?

about how?:
yeah, creativity comes into play.  isn't that part of the satisfaction of a quality  >:D  pull??? & if you really need advice, ask someone- but maybe that conversation doesn't need to be held in a public forum.  ask for help through pm, if you need " >:D advice for dummies 101".  even better, ask a fellow, local taper and do some networking…  there's plenty of folks on this board i recognize from all over the country from open taping…  i'd ask them- or the person open taping next to you at the next show.    some of the folks ive taped next to on this board, i assume are pretty nice, and would be happy to verbally talk about it, if they feel comfortable with you.
(that same " >:D advice for dummies 101" is on google--- google that sh!t, yo.)

i understand noob's looking for education to satisfy their curious minds and test the waters…   some of those seeds may become something big in an area of the world where there is great music being- but missed on tape.  i believe " >:D advice for dummies 101"- simple stuff, can be openly discussed & benifit the over all live music scene, in only positive ways.  if someone is "in deep" with tons of knowledge they know how much to say & not say.   if you've been there, you know what needs protection.

not all  >:D taping is bad(i dont think any of it is "bad")...  i recently  >:D  taped a show because the venue, who encourages taping, went with the headliners "no taping policy"- but the opening band was cool with open taping....  so i  >:D taped the opening band, with absolutly no risk involved. the opening band i was taping was cool with it & so was the venue....  so, no harm & no foul.
id highly recommend for a taper who wants to try out  >:D taping to experiment at a "open taping" bands show...  it helps in the education/experimentation process w/ no risk.  (..."& if you do it right, no one will know"...)

i didn't vote-  because my vote would be:
"yes, its ok to discuss stealth taping on ts. com, in a conservative/discrete manner"
…but thats about educating the forum users & i think those "in deep" are onboard the same ship.

of course someone has to say it, "the #1 rule of  >:D club, is that you never talk about  >:D club"
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 04:12:25 AM by climbingbear »
minimalism - its the least you can do.

Offline spankee02

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2012, 04:51:42 AM »
wow this topic is like mixing politics and religion! is breaking the propor taper ediquett code immoral? 1st of all, understand ive been drinking since 1 am . nuff said. its like the war on drugs, you'lle never stop bootlegging  of anti taping gigs. i've done it myself  when i was younger with an elaborate rig. (crutches that conerted to a mic stand) id hobble in with gear bandaged to my leg, even got special treatment several times! i wont stealth anymore, if i cant b out of the closet, i dont wanna go to the party. debate remains, you dont wanna jeapordise the taping sub culture,but there are lots o' bands out there that are cool or even encourage taping against the stern wishes of their record label n contract. these I say go forth! what about big production gigs u paid 200 clams 4 a ticket?  I dunno. yer call. then u have masters of musical talent like frank zappa, who was brutally opposed to taping,but on the other hand it would be a crime if all his live gigs diddnt get arcchived even with a sonically crappy recording. I dont have the answer or want it. I have shared bootlegs, but I guess the golden rule is NEVER profit from the music you've had the honor n privelege of hearing. - spank, still drunk.

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2012, 05:50:00 AM »
wow this topic is like mixing politics and religion! is breaking the propor taper ediquett code immoral? 1st of all, understand ive been drinking since 1 am . nuff said. its like the war on drugs, you'lle never stop bootlegging  of anti taping gigs. i've done it myself  when i was younger with an elaborate rig. (crutches that conerted to a mic stand) id hobble in with gear bandaged to my leg, even got special treatment several times! i wont stealth anymore, if i cant b out of the closet, i dont wanna go to the party. debate remains, you dont wanna jeapordise the taping sub culture,but there are lots o' bands out there that are cool or even encourage taping against the stern wishes of their record label n contract. these I say go forth! what about big production gigs u paid 200 clams 4 a ticket?  I dunno. yer call. then u have masters of musical talent like frank zappa, who was brutally opposed to taping,but on the other hand it would be a crime if all his live gigs diddnt get arcchived even with a sonically crappy recording. I dont have the answer or want it. I have shared bootlegs, but I guess the golden rule is NEVER profit from the music you've had the honor n privelege of hearing. - spank, still drunk.

Spankee02, please lay off the "bootleg" term, unless whut yur drinkin' is bootleg liquor.  :laugh: ;D
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2012, 11:41:08 AM »

My post actually said:

For example:

But, per typical reaction around here, for a decade, as soon as someone starts talking about the gear, technique always follows, every friggin time, without fail.  Its best just left alone, and not discussed.
Small is small - let the creative mind run with that, without spoon feeding them all the technique details; without mentioning anything about stealth; without mentioning how to get gear in, or what to do with it.  Let people figure that stuff out in the old school way.  There is nothing so sacred about a rock concert that doesn't get well recorded (or recorded at all), not a friggin thing - BFD if a loud PA rendition of music goes unrecorded, the earth will still spin, and the sun will rise the next morning.
Sorry, AJ, my post wasn't directed at you, so much as it was a generalized encapsulation of what I just expressed.

OK cool, I think we are in general agreement. 
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2012, 09:15:39 PM »
I have stealth taped for years, and had to learn from trial and error. (More errors than I want to think about). I realize that a lot of people here don't like the discussion of stealth techniques and I'm cool with that. If anyone needs exact info then I think PMs should be the vehicle of choice.

I agree that it helps to be creative and think outside the box.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 46 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com