Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

Should stealth discussion be conducted stealthily on ts.com?

I'm apathetic; I really don't care one way or the other.
29 (14.7%)
No, it's OK to discuss stealth taping on ts.com.
72 (36.5%)
Yes, stealth discussion should not be conducted publicly on ts.com.
35 (17.8%)
I'd prefer stealth conversation to be conducted stealthily, but I don't think it matters much
53 (26.9%)
I hate stealth taping/discussion altogether and wish there was a way for ts.com to ban it completely
8 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 194

Author Topic: Poll: Should Stealth Discussion Be Stealth?  (Read 39746 times)

Online robeti

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Poll: Should Stealth Discussion Be Stealth?
« Reply #90 on: July 02, 2012, 01:10:49 PM »
but really how serious is a guy making 8-10 bucks an hour for a 4-6 hour gig going to take his job to the point that he scours the internet to get a tip just to bust a guy only to tell the guy to put his rig away or take it to the car....really ::)

How about the director of the theatre who knows you by name, and may also sit next to you?  It isn't take it to the car, it is "you are banned" from a top venue in the country.  Really.

Exactly and I know for a fact this scenario has already happened. I think what a lot of folks here are missing here is that information on this website has already been used to shut people down.  People are acting like just because they have neve been busted it will never happen in the future. Why anyone wants to increase the risk is beyond my comprehension.

WELL SAID!
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #91 on: July 02, 2012, 11:44:52 PM »
wow this topic is like mixing politics and religion! is breaking the propor taper ediquett code immoral? 1st of all, understand ive been drinking since 1 am . nuff said. its like the war on drugs, you'lle never stop bootlegging  of anti taping gigs. i've done it myself  when i was younger with an elaborate rig. (crutches that conerted to a mic stand) id hobble in with gear bandaged to my leg, even got special treatment several times! i wont stealth anymore, if i cant b out of the closet, i dont wanna go to the party. debate remains, you dont wanna jeapordise the taping sub culture,but there are lots o' bands out there that are cool or even encourage taping against the stern wishes of their record label n contract. these I say go forth! what about big production gigs u paid 200 clams 4 a ticket?  I dunno. yer call. then u have masters of musical talent like frank zappa, who was brutally opposed to taping,but on the other hand it would be a crime if all his live gigs diddnt get arcchived even with a sonically crappy recording. I dont have the answer or want it. I have shared bootlegs, but I guess the golden rule is NEVER profit from the music you've had the honor n privelege of hearing. - spank, still drunk.

Spankee02, please lay off the "bootleg" term, unless whut yur drinkin' is bootleg liquor.  :laugh: ;D

cant believe i read this whole post! :P   i'm not the biggest fan of the word bootleg^^^.  i open tape bands that allow it,  so i wouldnt call open taping bootleg'in.  but in this case^^ >:D,  there isnt a better word that fits the bill.  do i care who or what people tape or how or where they talk about it?  not at all.  if peeps dont want to be called a bootlegger, dont bootleg.

I could care less if it is talked about or not, I just don't think its a issue like it was before digital recorders and cell phones, I don't know if i am complacent or not but I don't even get nervous getting into venues anymore and I have never felt like security was looking for a taper, hell I have stood 3 feet away from security guys many times and still checked a level now and again. Its neither here nor there in IMO. That being said, specific technics probably belong in a pm but really how serious is a guy making 8-10 bucks an hour for a 4-6 hour gig going to take his job to the point that he scours the internet to get a tip just to bust a guy only to tell the guy to put his rig away or take it to the car....really ::)

^^with darktrain on this
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #92 on: July 03, 2012, 01:17:02 AM »
I have stealth taped for years, and had to learn from trial and error. (More errors than I want to think about). I realize that a lot of people here don't like the discussion of stealth techniques and I'm cool with that. If anyone needs exact info then I think PMs should be the vehicle of choice.

I agree that it helps to be creative and think outside the box.

said perfectly. 

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #93 on: July 03, 2012, 01:22:27 AM »
I could care less if it is talked about or not, I just don't think its a issue like it was before digital recorders and cell phones, I don't know if i am complacent or not but I don't even get nervous getting into venues anymore and I have never felt like security was looking for a taper, hell I have stood 3 feet away from security guys many times and still checked a level now and again. Its neither here nor there in IMO. That being said, specific technics probably belong in a pm but really how serious is a guy making 8-10 bucks an hour for a 4-6 hour gig going to take his job to the point that he scours the internet to get a tip just to bust a guy only to tell the guy to put his rig away or take it to the car....really ::)

I've had people busted for iphone pictures next to me, fighting and even had a guy collapse next to while stealthing.  If one is stealthy there is no need to discuss security gaps or such openly but trading info with other known stealthers is cool in my book.

Offline rhinowing

• Trade Count: (0)
    • SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #94 on: July 03, 2012, 02:49:51 AM »
but really how serious is a guy making 8-10 bucks an hour for a 4-6 hour gig going to take his job to the point that he scours the internet to get a tip just to bust a guy only to tell the guy to put his rig away or take it to the car....really ::)

How about the director of the theatre who knows you by name, and may also sit next to you?  It isn't take it to the car, it is "you are banned" from a top venue in the country.  Really.
posting "hey, I taped this from row X seat Y" when you have a personally identifiable ticket is a big step from saying "venue X has weak patdowns". I don't see how this totally precludes discussion of stealthing from TS
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #95 on: July 03, 2012, 05:59:13 PM »
What is "Open Taping"   :o

Offline wppcproductions

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #96 on: July 23, 2012, 01:15:11 PM »
Yes. Should Stealth Discussion Be Stealth? I can't let the cat out of the bag on a national forum about my secrets of Stealth recording.

Offline skaggs

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2012, 11:59:42 PM »
Proud to be one of the 7 wanting to ban it totally, so as to never see that gay hasselhoff thing again.    >:D 

Offline JonG

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #98 on: July 25, 2012, 12:05:25 PM »
Discussions concerning whether or not stealth talk should be stealth should be stealth.

:-l
------
https://etreedb.org/EnglishSkylarking
https://lcdb.org/user/EnglishSkylarking
https://archive.org/details/@englishskylarking
https://www.youtube.com/@EnglishSkylarkingLive
------
AT943 / CMC-8 > R-07
AT943 / CMC-8 > SP-SAPM-1-USB-C > Moto X4 (w/ LineageOS 21 for 24-bit support)
ZS100

Offline Bluegrasser

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #99 on: November 14, 2012, 08:37:19 PM »
Ummmmmmm ......... Ok noobie here and have a question?
If  >:D is to be discussed in PM by members who  >:D  then how would one know who to PM to discuss  >:D recording. Would it be a special section of TS ?? And if it was then how would one find out about it ?? How would one be able to access it if  >:D conversation is to be by PM only ?? Or is your goal to ban  >:D talk all together because I dont see a way it could exist here in any real format if it was a "stealth" discussion.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #100 on: November 14, 2012, 09:13:43 PM »
If  >:D is to be discussed in PM by members who  >:D  then how would one know who to PM to discuss  >:D recording. Would it be a special section of TS ?? And if it was then how would one find out about it ?? How would one be able to access it if  >:D conversation is to be by PM only ?? Or is your goal to ban  >:D talk all together because I dont see a way it could exist here in any real format if it was a "stealth" discussion.

You post, "I have x question. Please PM me"
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Return of the Shredi
« Reply #101 on: November 15, 2012, 12:25:27 PM »
Noobie- one question mark is always sufficient.
To find out who is a  >:D er, try going to Kickdown Central. Find someone who has posted something that is not open recording, of the type of music/situation that you typically want to record in. PM them a question. Be more resourceful than you are currently being. Learn the hard way that 99% of  >:D information is obtained the hard way.
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #102 on: November 15, 2012, 12:49:36 PM »

Since you are local, I could show you a few things about  >:D

Here's a recent stealth tape I made that turned out pretty well: http://archive.org/details/dalewatson2012-09-15.CA-14omni.flac24
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline chunga1

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #103 on: November 22, 2012, 11:06:49 AM »
When i started to stealth..
I asked a person who tapes shows that
I enjoyed...what i need to buy to get started.

Then basically did it trial and error.. Started with a
Local band.. Did that a few times..
Then went to bigger venues...
You just figure it out..
Out discussion was kept private as he told
Me a lot of tapers dont like to discuss
"how its done" publicly...

Lessons learned, shows came out great othera
Not so much....

My advice keep it away from public keep
It private.. Pm's and emails
SP-CMC-2(AT-831>SP-SPSB-1>NJB3

Offline spankee02

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #104 on: August 09, 2013, 12:08:23 AM »
when i got my first rig in 95, I stealthed several times , but there was no internet or forums to discuss even "open" taping. I had to figure it out for myself with trial n error. took a few years b4 I got it down. you guys dont know how lucky you are to have a forum to discuss taping methods ; open or not. especially beginners! Tape on my friends, the more we do it, seems like the more bands allow it.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com