Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

Should stealth discussion be conducted stealthily on ts.com?

I'm apathetic; I really don't care one way or the other.
29 (14.7%)
No, it's OK to discuss stealth taping on ts.com.
72 (36.5%)
Yes, stealth discussion should not be conducted publicly on ts.com.
35 (17.8%)
I'd prefer stealth conversation to be conducted stealthily, but I don't think it matters much
53 (26.9%)
I hate stealth taping/discussion altogether and wish there was a way for ts.com to ban it completely
8 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 194

Author Topic: Poll: Should Stealth Discussion Be Stealth?  (Read 39780 times)

Offline 404 Not Found

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Poll: Should Stealth Discussion Be Stealth?
« Reply #105 on: August 09, 2013, 10:49:18 AM »
Stealth IMHO is not bootlegging, as I have had permissions to record many times by bands at a particular venue but the venue staff said NO, unless I had a means to record and not put up a stand as to distract those that are sitting around me that are there to enjoy the performance.  This to me is what "Stealth" means in re. to recording.  To record what is a "Bootleg" is a recording with absolutely no permissions and is also sold as bootleg-unofficial release screwing over the artist(s).

I am all for open recording when the venue and artists are aware and give permissions.  I also have no problems reaching out to bands and or performers asking permission prior to an event as well as supplying the artist with a copy if they want it. 

Recorders: Alesis HD24XR | Marantz PMD661 (Oade Warm Mod) | Sound Devices 552 |Zoom F8 | Zoom H6
Pre-Amp/Mic Mixers/PS: Sound Devices 552 | Sound Devices MixPre-D | Shure FP33 | Audix APS911's | Audio Technica AT8501
Mics: Telefunken M60 FET MP/TK62's  | Miktek C5 MP's | Neumann  KM100/AK40's AK43's AK45's | Audix M1255B's | Audix M1280B's | Sennheiser K3-U/ME-20's 40's & 80's | Shure VP88
Stands-Poles: Manfrotto 3361 (8') | Manfrotto 1004BAC (13') | K-Tek KE79CC Traveler Boom Pole (1.8 - 6.7' )| K-Tek KEG150CCR Carbon fiber boom pole (12.6')

LMA: https://archive.org/bookmarks/Adam%20Axel

Team Philly!

***Team Telefunken***

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #106 on: August 09, 2013, 11:39:45 PM »
I didn't vote in this poll because I don't identify with any of the proposed choices. Recording where recording isn't allowed can be a theft of service, and I don't wish to help people do that. But selfishly, I'd like to know what works well and what doesn't. It's a different set of technical problems from the ones I usually face.

Or maybe not. I have this one client for whom I'm the official recording engineer for their performing organization, but they severely hate having microphones that the audience can see. I've had to struggle at every concert for years now to get my microphones into places where they'll do any good at all. If I could sneak them into a hat or a jacket or the frames of my eyeglasses and get a good sound, I would.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 09:46:48 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #107 on: August 10, 2013, 01:45:20 AM »
Wait, this is seriously a topic again?

There are dozens of posts here openly discussing stealth.

There is a book (Bootleg by Clinton Heylin) as well as more than a few articles about it.

The Internet exists. Nuff said.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

adrianf74

« Reply #108 on: August 10, 2013, 11:07:42 AM »
Wait, this is seriously a topic again?

There is a book (Bootleg by Clinton Heylin) as well as more than a few articles about it.

^^ WHAT HE SAID.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #109 on: August 10, 2013, 11:17:09 AM »

doesn't mean they belong here

then read the book and the articles but please don't discuss them here

yes it does so please use a different site if you want to discuss stealth

not everyone feels the way you do about the subject

< this post does a very good job of summarizing how I feel about open discussions of stealth >

« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 11:26:02 AM by flipp »

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
    • Southern Shelter
« Reply #110 on: August 10, 2013, 11:50:37 AM »
The winning poll option is that it's ok.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #111 on: August 10, 2013, 12:16:19 PM »
I didn't realize an opinion poll had a "winner" and I don't consider 33.7% a majority. Even combining those 33.7% with the 15.3% who don't have an opinion one way or the other you still are less than 50% of those who do have an opinion. Statistics can be manipulated anyway you want.
We'll just agree to disagree about this issue.

Y'all go ahead and talk about it; I'll just do what has to be done to get the recording and not talk about how it was accomplished.

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
    • Southern Shelter
« Reply #112 on: August 10, 2013, 12:24:50 PM »
OK, more people voted for that option than the others. That'll teach me to type quickly.

nathan_g

« Reply #113 on: August 10, 2013, 03:13:54 PM »
If I could sneak them into a hat or a jacket or the frames of my eyeglasses and get a good sound, I would.

Seriously...that's most of it right there. What's the big deal?

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #114 on: August 10, 2013, 04:31:22 PM »
I didn't realize an opinion poll had a "winner" and I don't consider 33.7% a majority. Even combining those 33.7% with the 15.3% who don't have an opinion one way or the other you still are less than 50% of those who do have an opinion. Statistics can be manipulated anyway you want.
We'll just agree to disagree about this issue.

Y'all go ahead and talk about it; I'll just do what has to be done to get the recording and not talk about how it was accomplished.
I hear you, and I don't discuss it openly b/c I know it bugs people. But that cat is out of the proverbial bag, so to speak.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline spankee02

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #115 on: August 17, 2013, 07:36:14 AM »
Patience, Ed Gruberman. The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Here's a fairly obvious tip: practice at home, in the dark. Even the PM thing is somewhat suspicious from someone with all of 6 posts. How do we know you are a taper and not a bouncer? And seriously, his thread is filled with people who have indicated their area of expertise. Pick somebody who is saying we should be able to post openly. That's not me, BTW.

stevetoney

« Reply #116 on: August 21, 2013, 03:55:20 PM »
when i got my first rig in 95, I stealthed several times , but there was no internet or forums to discuss even "open" taping. I had to figure it out for myself with trial n error. took a few years b4 I got it down. you guys dont know how lucky you are to have a forum to discuss taping methods ; open or not. especially beginners! Tape on my friends, the more we do it, seems like the more bands allow it.

Exactly the same story here.  I started in 93 or so.  iIn the earliest days of the web, I discovered a talkgroup called BluesL.  I think I learned of some real basics from others there.  I picked up a D7 but had no idea what I was doing so I recorded straight to mic-in and suffered many disappointments of bad recordings just because I couldn't listen during the show and didn't know about preamps or battery boxes or even what causes mic distortion.  After I had my D7 for awhile, I found DATHEADS, but even that site didn't have all that much in the way of gear speak. 

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #117 on: August 21, 2013, 08:39:19 PM »
If you want to be a stealth taper......you need a mentor!
Someone to go to shows alongside and actually see what's involved in recording music in the field.
Newbies ask 6 million questions here before they even buy gear.
One field trip out to the nearest rock & roll show with an experienced taper will teach
you more than anything you can read here. Thats how i learned and even the very
first tape i made came out pretty good, not great....but far better than i expected.

music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline spankee02

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #118 on: August 24, 2013, 07:14:29 AM »
the first big open taping show i did was the palace @ auburn hills in 95. that taper sec. had prolly 100+ stands there. man, i was over my head & really intimidated! luckily I was next to a cool taper who looked at my gear n knew I was a newbie. he let me patch his pre amp for both nites! I had wires runnin all over my body, i almost pissed myself the 2nd nite cause i couldnt move from my seat. myself n lots of other guys were runnin sony analog decks. dats were still the new tech. the guy i was plugged into even had an old sony d-10-dat with what i think was an old sony dig converter.thanx to Dave from syracuse. I had the pleasure of seeing him at a max creek gig in buffalo a year later.Right now im choking myself and all of you with nostailgia, sorry. good nite.-spank

cashandkerouac

« Reply #119 on: October 02, 2013, 09:19:38 PM »
I didn't vote in this poll because I don't identify with any of the proposed choices. Recording where recording isn't allowed can be a theft of service, and I don't wish to help people do that. But selfishly, I'd like to know what works well and what doesn't. It's a different set of technical problems from the ones I usually face.

Or maybe not. I have this one client for whom I'm the official recording engineer for their performing organization, but they severely hate having microphones that the audience can see. I've had to struggle at every concert for years now to get my microphones into places where they'll do any good at all. If I could sneak them into a hat or a jacket or the frames of my eyeglasses and get a good sound, I would.

imagining DSatz trying to disguise his mics so he can get them placed properly on the stage made me smile.  if the band is not opposed to stage decoration you could create props that looked artistic, but with a dual purpose.  professional  >:D!!!   ;D   

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com