Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tapers: Should we be guest listed if someone asks you to tape a show  (Read 15496 times)

Offline MSTaper

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
I'm talking about local shows, the $5-$10 shows that you might or might not go to anyway.
If it's a band I really like, I'll pay the cover and tape.

It's not so much the money, but the work involved AFTER the show, especially when there are three bands to transfer, track, upload, etc. Even if you don't upload it, there's a fair amount of time and work involved. Is it too much to expect to be placed on the guest list for this?

MSTaper
Church Audio CA-11, Avantone CK-1
Edirol UA-5
Edirol R-09, Fostex FR-2LE

12/13 Patterson Hood - Florence, Ala.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Tapers: Should we be guest listed if someone asks you to tape a show
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 11:11:20 AM »
I'm talking about local shows, the $5-$10 shows that you might or might not go to anyway.

It's not so much the money, but the work involved AFTER the show, especially when there are three bands to transfer, track, upload, etc. Even if you don't upload it, there's a fair amount of time and work involved. Is it too much to expect to be placed on the guest list for this?

MSTaper

I'm always happy to pay to go to shows I want to go to, but I have no problem accepting a guest list spot.  If a band asks me rather than the other way around, I tend to assume that means they're guest listing me, and I usually confirm that.  You're performing a service; they don't have to "pay" you (you're not a professional, anyway) but if they think enough of your recordings to ask you to come, the least they can do is use one of their list spots for you.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 11:17:11 AM »

MSTaper

I'm always happy to pay to go to shows I want to go to, but I have no problem accepting a guest list spot.  If a band asks me rather than the other way around, I tend to assume that means they're guest listing me, and I usually confirm that.  You're performing a service; they don't have to "pay" you (you're not a professional, anyway) but if they think enough of your recordings to ask you to come, the least they can do is use one of their list spots for you.

Ditto, the litmus test I use is "is this work" in the same vein as the saying; "work is things we would not normally do"

If I want to go to the show, I go and pay my way. If it's work (and I'm on the hook to produce a product of some sort afterward), I don't pay to get in. Second, if it is work, the group that guestlists or provides compensation is the group I'm focused on recording and producing something for in a timely manner. The rest (opening acts, other headliners, etc) aren't within scope and I'll do stuff when I get a chance.

This is actually why I try and avoid guestlisting; I don't owe anyone anything at that point so if the equipment dies or it doesn't turn out, I'm in the good. It also puts more money in the bands pocket or the venues which helps the smaller places.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 11:18:05 AM »
If I like the band, and would have gone anyway? I'll pay 5-10 bucks to help out my friends.
If the band asks and I'm indifferent? I need to learn to say no. I record, wish I could leave, and never get around to mastering/tracking/encoding it.
If the ticket is in the 20-30 range? I'll go for guestlist every time. If I like some of the merch, I'll give them money that way.
YES!!!!!!!

Spot on.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 10:19:49 PM by newplanet7 »
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 11:25:58 AM »
If I like the band, and would have gone anyway? I'll pay 5-10 bucks to help out my friends.

If the band asks and I'm indifferent? I need to learn to say no. I record, wish I could leave, and never get around to mastering/tracking/encoding it.

If the ticket is in the 20-30 range? I'll go for guestlist every time. If I like some of the merch, I'll give them money that way.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 11:34:34 AM »
If you're asked to tape, I think a guest list spot is in order.  A +1 or some beers is a nice bonus.

I've been to local shows with smaller bands where I was on the list and the crowd was very light. In that case I go back to the door and pay the cover, especially if I know the band is working for the door.

I have taken guest list spots for shows I normally wouldn't have gone to (Little Feat comes to mind, $32) but knew I would enjoy.

I do get peeved when I'm supposed to be on the list and get bumped by wives, girlfriends, or groupies. I do understand they are providing a service that I am unwilling to perform. :laugh:
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 11:50:04 AM »

If the band, or their management have asked you to tape the show, you should get free entry - no question.

You are not going to the show for your pleasure, you are going to do a job of work to record the show.

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 12:03:03 PM »
Agreed...and I've gone to a show or two where they asked me to record, but then when I got to the door I wasn't on the list, so I turned around and went home rather than paid.  It's kinda the principal of the thing.  I'm on my time when you've asked me to come, so getting in w/o paying is the ante.  Kinda rude if I drive to the venue to discover you didn't even put me on the list.  So, the lesson learned from those experiences is to make sure a guest list spot is the agreement up front so there's no misunderstanding.  If they want you to pay, I'd be up front saying no thanks.

Offline SxPxDxCx

• Trade Count: (1)
    • THATSTHETHINGABOUTTHAT.blogspot
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 12:16:06 PM »
For cheap shows like that it depends on who is playing and what kind of relationship I have with them.  If they asked me to come down and record it's nice to get on the list but if there are other bands on the bill or out of town bands I don't ever mind paying the cover. 
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Denis Diderot:

MBHO KA 500 / KA 200N > Naiant IPAs / JKLabs > PCM-M10
AT933 C >SP-SPSB-1 > PCM-M10

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 12:24:37 PM »
As John pointed out. If they ask you to do work, they should give you something.

When I was a working news photographer I got asked to shoot weddings all the time. I always asked for something in return.

If you do a job for free that someone usually does and should get paid for, you dilute the market for the professionals that make money performing that work.

So, If I shot weddings for free, I took away from the guys that actually make a living doing it.

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline MSTaper

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 02:10:03 PM »
If you're asked to tape, I think a guest list spot is in order.  A +1 or some beers is a nice bonus.

I've been to local shows with smaller bands where I was on the list and the crowd was very light. In that case I go back to the door and pay the cover, especially if I know the band is working for the door.

I have taken guest list spots for shows I normally wouldn't have gone to (Little Feat comes to mind, $32) but knew I would enjoy.

I do get peeved when I'm supposed to be on the list and get bumped by wives, girlfriends, or groupies. I do understand they are providing a service that I am unwilling to perform. :laugh:

I see a lot of this where I live. Certain bands here do guest list me, but others will guest list people who just stand around and talk. I'm working before, during and after. That should be worth $5. But when I plan to go, like last weekend, I don't mind paying the $5 because I know these guys need it. Plus, it was a really good show. A guy promoting a local show asked if I was coming (and taping). I get this every now and then and while $5 isn't much, it adds up if you are asked to come to several shows. Not to mention, I know how much work it will take after the fact, which is the real issue.

MSTaper
Edirol UA-5

Online bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 02:20:25 PM »

I see a lot of this where I live. Certain bands here do guest list me, but others will guest list people who just stand around and talk. I'm working before, during and after. That should be worth $5. But when I plan to go, like last weekend, I don't mind paying the $5 because I know these guys need it. Plus, it was a really good show. A guy promoting a local show asked if I was coming (and taping). I get this every now and then and while $5 isn't much, it adds up if you are asked to come to several shows. Not to mention, I know how much work it will take after the fact, which is the real issue.

MSTaper

The only thing I have to add is if you ask me to tape, I want to be walked in early so I can get the sweet spot, sort out SBD feed etc., that's worth more to me than a $5 cover.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 02:26:17 PM »
The only thing I have to add is if you ask me to tape, I want to be walked in early so I can get the sweet spot, sort out SBD feed etc., that's worth more to me than a $5 cover.

This.
You want me to tape, you need to make sure I don't get any hassles.
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline MSTaper

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 02:32:04 PM »

This.
You want me to tape, you need to make sure I don't get any hassles.

Great point!
Edirol UA-5

Offline ellaguru

• Trade Count: (17)
    • the wendy hour
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 02:49:23 PM »
i generally show up when the band does so ive never really had to pay a cover

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com