Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tapers: Should we be guest listed if someone asks you to tape a show  (Read 15527 times)

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Tapers: Should we be guest listed if someone asks you to tape a show
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2012, 08:34:54 AM »
I think that except for a couple of people who said that they pay anyway to support the bands, we're all in agreement here. All good.
Although an extra $5 in a bands pocket rather than your own is no big deal anyway. If you wanna flip a $5 the bands way, fine. I do the same buying them beers after, so I don't really see the need to "help them out" this way.
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2012, 11:31:07 AM »
I think that except for a couple of people who said that they pay anyway to support the bands, we're all in agreement here. All good.
Although an extra $5 in a bands pocket rather than your own is no big deal anyway. If you wanna flip a $5 the bands way, fine. I do the same buying them beers after, so I don't really see the need to "help them out" this way.

This... ..or buying their records/merch.  From my conversations with bands, the #1 thing they care about, finance-wise, is selling merch.  I was talking to a guy recently about this really successful European tour they had.  Financially, he said he was happier about having sold a bunch of merch at a given show as whether it was sold out or not.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2012, 11:36:45 AM »

This... ..or buying their records/merch.  From my conversations with bands, the #1 thing they care about, finance-wise, is selling merch.  I was talking to a guy recently about this really successful European tour they had.  Financially, he said he was happier about having sold a bunch of merch at a given show as whether it was sold out or not.

in my experience with bands, the profit order is;

tshirts > trinkets > cds.

Depending on how they handled mastering/packaging/label/etc, they may get little from a CD sale, but their tshirts yeild upwards of $5-$10 a shirt depending on how much it costs to make and other middlemen. Also, the most valued gifts (in the bands eyes) I've ever gotten from bands were always shirts.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2012, 11:52:13 AM »
The gross $$s they make on CDs may be smaller than what they get for shirts and trinkets, but they definitely get more for a CD sold at a show than via brick and mortar, iTunes etc. I usually buy a CD if it's a new release, if for no other reason than to help me with tracking and labels. Plus, it's always better to get the liner notes etc. that you generally don't get with a download.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2012, 12:15:00 PM »
The gross $$s they make on CDs may be smaller than what they get for shirts and trinkets, but they definitely get more for a CD sold at a show than via brick and mortar, iTunes etc. I usually buy a CD if it's a new release, if for no other reason than to help me with tracking and labels. Plus, it's always better to get the liner notes etc. that you generally don't get with a download.

Its different at each/various professional levels....
But regardless - those CDs go on to be little marketing devices in the worlds where they land...particularly if they have any graphic production to them. Makes them more of a conversation piece.

I've seen new, upcoming bands just give away a choice live show. - Its sort of like "cloud seeding"
Seems like an inexpensive, per fan investment in promotion.
Giving away studio work is bit more of an investment, but I've seen it done.
Or - I've seen bands just ask for donation for a new studio disc.

But once you have enough fans, you should be selling...live or studio, you need to have that product at the show and available on-line.
But then, its a job(gasp!) - and the band has to be ready to manage that part...otherwise they just get lazy, forget the discs, etc...

Offline Elana

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2012, 01:35:05 AM »
For any bands who would ask me to tape, I'd probably be on the guest list anyway, so it wouldn't matter to me.  In the event that's not the case, it depends on if I was planning on going before I got asked for the tape.  If I was already gonna go, then I wouldn't care about guest list.  However I wouldn't go to a show I wasn't otherwise planning to attend without at least being listed in exchange for taping.

Offline bradfordzilla

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2012, 10:28:29 PM »
If a band asks me to come and tape them, I'm getting for free.  All of the alcohol that I consume that night, I'm getting that for free as well.  I don't know of many musicians that would play a gig and not get compensated for it in some way. If the band is half ass decent, each member should be getting $100 - $150 a night.  The least they could do is break me of a little something something.

Offline drivingwheel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Driving Wheel
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2012, 12:25:03 PM »
I'm talking about local shows, the $5-$10 shows that you might or might not go to anyway.
If it's a band I really like, I'll pay the cover and tape.

It's not so much the money, but the work involved AFTER the show, especially when there are three bands to transfer, track, upload, etc. Even if you don't upload it, there's a fair amount of time and work involved. Is it too much to expect to be placed on the guest list for this?

MSTaper

we always try to guest list tapers, period - anytime anyone wants to come to a Driving Wheel show with their gear and want to roll tape, we try to accomodate the taper to the point that he/she can get the best possible recording.  It just makes sense.
http://www.drivingwheelmusic.com
http://www.archive.org/details/DrivingWheel
http://www.facebook.com/drivingwheel

open : Peluso CEMC-6 (cards)>Edirol ua-5 (d-mod)/Fostex FR-2LE (Busman t-mod)/Tascam DR-2D

covert operations : CA-14 (cards)/AT853 (cards)>Church Audio 9100>Tascam DR-2D
'

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2012, 12:57:42 AM »
If a band asks me to come and tape them, I'm getting for free.  All of the alcohol that I consume that night, I'm getting that for free as well.  I don't know of many musicians that would play a gig and not get compensated for it in some way. If the band is half ass decent, each member should be getting $100 - $150 a night.  The least they could do is break me of a little something something.
Bar tabs usually aren't included, nor should they be expected to be. That's just ass-hattery.
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2012, 01:31:38 AM »
Bar tabs usually aren't included, nor should they be expected to be. That's just ass-hattery.

Yes, but a drink ticket or two is a nice touch.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2012, 07:59:25 AM »

Yes, but a drink ticket or two is a nice touch.
Indeed.
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2012, 09:39:08 AM »

+1

I know plenty of places that don't even give free drinks to the band who they are paying.

Second, you can be really good at what you do, and still get just about shit on a nightly haul. Everyone starts somewhere.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

ilduclo

« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2012, 11:48:40 AM »
I generally have a lot more $ than any of the bands I tape, so I really don't expect anything from them and usually buy merch and contribute more to gas funds than anyone else.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2012, 06:32:10 AM »
I generally have a lot more $ than any of the bands I tape, so I really don't expect anything from them and usually buy merch and contribute more to gas funds than anyone else.

That's down to you and your generosity - but if they *asked* you to tape, you should be on the guest list.

If you are well off and want to donate to help the band and not charge them for recording, that's up to you.

Offline digitallive

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2012, 12:48:28 PM »
anyone ever have the band guestlist you, but then the venue say no you have to pay?

thats pretty much the policy at the Smiling Moose in pittsburgh. haven't been there in over a year but the soundguy/doorman are douchebags and will make you pay and tell you the band has no guestlist. their closest competitor in regards to size/audience is the 31st st pub, whose owner always waves me in w/o paying even if i'm not taping. you can guess which club i refer touring bands to when they are looking for a gig in pittsburgh

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 5.338 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com