Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Would an on-stage vocal PA likely have a TS line-out jack?  (Read 6238 times)

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Would an on-stage vocal PA likely have a TS line-out jack?
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2013, 03:26:45 PM »
What I notice in that picture is keyboards...and a few other mics.

Are you certain you'll only be getting vocals in the PA?

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2013, 04:28:26 PM »
What I notice in that picture is keyboards...and a few other mics.

Are you certain you'll only be getting vocals in the PA?
Good point looks like keyboards and some very basic section micing of the brass. I would agree there is more than vocals going into this PA.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

runonce

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2013, 05:12:42 PM »
On the left - looks like there is a second speaker stand, behind the front facing one - perhaps a little side-fill action?

Offline RemotelyLocated

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2013, 05:23:09 PM »
The band has occasionally had multitrack recordings done ... the picture could be from one of those. I was told only the vocals are amplified for the upcoming show but will verify. Obviously however, if I show up and there's a shitload of mics piped into speakers I'm sort of wasting my time.

Naturally the electronic keyboard is amplified. Not interested in taking a feed from that and assume it would be mixed more or less with the band "naturally" for the audience's benefit ... then again if I have a mic aimed over there to catch the PA I may get too much keyboard as well if it's got it's own PA or whatever.

runonce

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2013, 05:37:34 PM »
Well if you show up and there is more sound reinforcement than you expected, you still have 2 channels for the Soundboard feed.

And - that feed should mix well with your more ambient AUD mics...not a waste of time at all! (almost ideal)

Offline RemotelyLocated

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2013, 09:53:45 PM »
Pretty sure over the phone the director told me nothing but vocals would be amplified.

But, yeah with a premixed stereo soundboard feed I could scrap the idea of a dedicated vocal track. In fact, with only 2 line inputs I'd have to. But what are the odds a soundboard feed (if present) would be mono, and presumably not desired to mix with my mics? Any clarity I gain would come at the cost of a more collapsed stereo image, yes?

We're entering a lot of hypothetical here for this event but I enjoy learning what I can, thanks!

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2013, 10:35:41 PM »
Pretty sure over the phone the director told me nothing but vocals would be amplified.

But, yeah with a premixed stereo soundboard feed I could scrap the idea of a dedicated vocal track. In fact, with only 2 line inputs I'd have to. But what are the odds a soundboard feed (if present) would be mono, and presumably not desired to mix with my mics? Any clarity I gain would come at the cost of a more collapsed stereo image, yes?

We're entering a lot of hypothetical here for this event but I enjoy learning what I can, thanks!
If you had 4 channels for recording I would say take a mono vocal feed they should really be panned dead center anyway. The fact that you only have a stereo track to deal with just use room mics.. Its nice to see someone asking all kinds of questions your way of thinking reminds me of my self when I started out in audio. PLEASE do not be afraid to ask questions. Its how we all learn. Stick to stereo try and get your self in a place where everything sounds pretty balanced to your ears and you should be ok.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

runonce

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2013, 09:16:10 AM »
Odds of a soundboard feed being mono?

Nearly 100%!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 09:18:05 AM by runonce »

runonce

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2013, 09:31:51 AM »

The idea would be you'd get a solid, clear/discrete sound from the soundboard - and a bigger, more forceful, ambient sound from your mics - and thats where the stereo-ness would come from also.

It's kind of rare that soundguys mix in stereo, particularly for this kind of gig.  It happens, but not often.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com