Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What is the most casual way to tape + enjoy the show w/friends?  (Read 11879 times)

Offline psychwolf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
So I want to get into taping, but I also don't want people asking me questions, and I want to be able to hang out with friends at shows or talk while I'm taping.

How do all of you get around that? What are some sleek setups that sound really good without taking your attention away from just having fun at a show too. Or what are some tips for leaving the recorder on its own to do the work while you enjoy the show?

For example, for my first setup I went with binaural mics that go in my ear, with a cord that can go under my shirt so it'll look like I'm just wearing ear plugs or something. But, what happens when I start getting into higher quality or want to talk to people next to me while the show is going? I'm wondering how my first show will go with this setup.

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
Re: What is the most casual way to tape + enjoy the show w/friends?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 09:49:36 PM »
1) Put your mics on a stand, and go somewhere else to talk.
2) Hang your mics from the ceiling or a balcony, and go somewhere else to talk.
3) Onstage + SBD Matrix, and go somewhere else to talk.
4) Find someone who hates to talk, give him the rig, and go somewhere else to talk
5) Remember that you paid big money for the music, and don't talk.

4 and 5 work at stealth shows, 1-3 work well when bands allow taping
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 09:54:48 PM »
Check out church audio microphones, they are small and really easy to setup, you can get a mounting bar for them, making setup a breeze, and a battery box, church audio preamp, or naiant Tinyhead to power them and get gain. Then a recorder of some sort.

The trick to having a good time, is setup and get levels set, then take a step back and enjoy yourself. For stealth I don't know, I don't do it very often. Just get the mics up on a stand and talk not near them. As for people who want to Talk to you, if your with friends talk with them and don't acknowledge anyone else, and they will leave you alone.
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK1,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline psychwolf

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 10:00:56 PM »
Haha alright, yea usually when the music is playing none of us are trying to shout over it since I go to loud shows, so I'm in the same boat then and would be fine with some binaurals going.

I might setup my tascom on a mini-tripod in the back somewhere, but are you ever worried some of your stuff would get stolen? I usually don't know the sound guys at shows I want to tape heh.

And those Church mics sound good. Are these what you had in mind: http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/KP-WORSHIP ? I don't think I'm at that stage yet with price. I have to have a few awkward taping moments first before I can pretend I know what I'm doing and setup with multiple mics around the clubs I go to heh. I'd feel like there'd be a lot of pressure on me to put up a multi-mic setup with the people I know.

Marshall7

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 10:26:56 PM »
Leave it to someone else

Offline psychwolf

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 10:43:19 PM »
Leave it to someone else

Nobody else is taping these shows unless it's with a handheld camera, and even then they usually get singled out by the drunks and are taking a beating up front of a speaker usually.

I'm new here and to each his own, but that kind of crap makes me want to leave already.

You have to start somewhere, so it might as well be with recording some original music and a small rig that grows throughout the years with practice. The other part of taping involves keeping it about the music and having the experience to not stick out. Plus, I don't have the experience to say I'm a taper with any kind of good setup yet like you may have.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 10:54:43 PM »
Don't mess with a camera tripod.  Find something to clamp your recorder to.  There are some cheap china clamps for cameras on ebay for under $7.00 that will work in many situations or sometimes you can luck into a Rowi camera clamp under $20. Fits in your pocket.  cheap.  Don't have to carry a tripod.  Easier to set up without tripping somebody which will get you in big trouble.

Offline psychwolf

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 10:54:58 PM »

I like this since it's pretty impossible to get anything clean without getting jostled around on the floor of say a death metal show.

Any advice on some gear that's ideal for setting up before people arrive for a show, that wouldn't get jacked or could blend in well enough? I don't think the tech is there yet for wireless mics that I would be able to afford or risk not being jacked, but something like this is what I was thinking.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 10:59:25 PM »
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=150670.0

Useful ideas in this....find good spot, clamp your recorder, go hang out.

Offline psychwolf

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 11:05:02 PM »
Don't mess with a camera tripod.  Find something to clamp your recorder to.  There are some cheap china clamps for cameras on ebay for under $7.00 that will work in many situations or sometimes you can luck into a Rowi camera clamp under $20. Fits in your pocket.  cheap.  Don't have to carry a tripod.  Easier to set up without tripping somebody which will get you in big trouble.

Cool I will check that out, that's what I was looking for some nice gear advice for that kind of thing. Yes I agree! Large tripods would make things awkward haha. I figured more like a mini tripod (3 inches high) that I could put the recorder under a hat or under something to both muffle the sound. That Rowi can really help me elevate the recorder above heads - great direction to go there for me I think.

Marshall7

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 12:09:29 AM »
Leave it to someone else

Nobody else is taping these shows unless it's with a handheld camera, and even then they usually get singled out by the drunks and are taking a beating up front of a speaker usually.

I'm new here and to each his own, but that kind of crap makes me want to leave already.

You have to start somewhere, so it might as well be with recording some original music and a small rig that grows throughout the years with practice. The other part of taping involves keeping it about the music and having the experience to not stick out. Plus, I don't have the experience to say I'm a taper with any kind of good setup yet like you may have.

I don't really care what kind of rig you have, everyone started somewhere...it's this comment that makes me think you're not serious about the whole idea:

"I want to be able to hang out with friends at shows or talk while I'm taping."

For most of us the biggest pet peeve we have is talkers ruining our recordings.  So for you to come flat out and say you're basically going to ruin your own...well, why bother?

Offline psychwolf

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 12:39:20 AM »
For most of us the biggest pet peeve we have is talkers ruining our recordings.  So for you to come flat out and say you're basically going to ruin your own...well, why bother?

I can see how we got off on the wrong foot but I didn't mean finding a way to talk and record too. I just meant a way to not have my talking ruin the recording, and not having many mics set up which will have people expecting a lot out of me (which I can't meet as a newbie).

Some of the comments in the post here have pointed out some ways to tape and still talk to people I came with and enjoy the show, so I'm reassured to know it's common and okay to use a handheld, but I just need to be ready to clamp to any kind of surface. I figure having a decent clamp vs. a mini tripod to set somewhere is a great step in that direction too. Other tips and tricks like favorite places to set the recorders and not have them lost, damaged or stolen is great to have too since I haven't had to go through all of the dilemmas you all have yet.

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 01:28:55 AM »
Actually, its easier than you think.  Just three easy steps

1.  Buy a Nice Rig, Like  Schoeps or Neumann Mikes With a Quality Preamp and Recorder
2.  Give It To a Friend to Tape, and Rig Him Up
3.  Go the Bar With Your Friends and Talk and Drink to Your Heart's Content
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 02:19:15 AM »
1) Put your mics on a stand, and go somewhere else to talk.
3) Onstage + SBD Matrix, and go somewhere else to talk.
4) Find someone who hates to talk, give him the rig, and go somewhere else to talk
5) Remember that you paid big money for the music, and don't talk.

4 and 5 work at stealth shows, 1-3 work well when bands allow taping
Thank you for that! I laughed so hard after reading this post.
Priceless
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 08:52:15 AM »
I hang out with my friends away from  my rig when I can while taping. These are two of those times:

1) Rig is in a safe spot and levels are good
2) Another taper is there and we take shifts

Otherwise, I sit/stand with the gear and watch levels all night. I miss out on a lot of pre-show activities with my friends because I need to get to the venue early for the sweet spot. If you want to make good tapes, you may have to forgo some enjoyment to make it happen.

If I want to go to a show and cut loose, I leave the gear at home.
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com