Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Random JB3 Question  (Read 1929 times)

Offline reigntaper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Random JB3 Question
« on: April 25, 2004, 02:28:47 AM »
Hey guys, I just found this site last night, so this is my first post.

I'm a Philly area taper, who's been taping for a little over a year... I've only taped 6 or 7 shows with various results.  But on Thursday I taped a killer Matt Nathanson show 1-ft from the stack.  I mean I standing with my ears bleeding next to a speaker all night.  It's a little bassy at times, but still excellent in it's current form, I could run it through my bass roll off box, but I may just leave that up to the downloader. Anyway...

So currently, I'm running this:

At350's (one of the Sound Pros models... made by Audio Technica) > SP Battery Box > Sony MZ-N505 MD Recorder

I love my mics, I know there's better ones out there, but these haven't failed me yet... my first attempt at taping (once I got the balls to try it) was with shitty radio shack mics, but once I lost the jitters, I raised my budget and I upgraded to these mics.  They're actually quite good at filtering the crowd noise, even when there's screaming girls standing right next to you, and your mics are on your shirt, and not above the crowd... so anyway...

I'm keeping the mics, and the battery box (although I'm tempted to get a smaller model)  

So now to my JB3 question:

If I buy a Nomad JB3, what kind of adapter do I need to plug my mic/battery box into the digital input?  The battery box has a 1/8 miniplug.

I've seen a lot of posts about preamps and such, that have the proper outs... and maybe down the road I'll pick one up for shows that are hardcore taper-friendly... but I tape some shows that are basically 'don't ask don't tell'... mainly the band doesn't care what you tape... but they can't be completely open about it, because of their label, etc.  So... I can't take a bag containing a full rig into these shows.

I'm trying to stay away from anything 'big' that can't fit in my pocket.  Right now, my MD, battery box & mics can fit in one pocket.  (i tend to tape in venues where there's no search... like most bar shows)

So I know a Nomad JB3 is 2 inches bigger in both height & width, so I hope this digital converter isn't too big to stick next to my battery box & a JB3.  I can always use both pockets and run a line across my belt or something.

Okay so maybe my question is: "How much more crap must I carry in to upgrade from MD to JB3?"

Any help would be great. ???
Thanks.
At 350's > SP Battery Box > Nomad JB3
-or-
AT853's or AT835's >  SP Battery Box > Nomad JB3

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
Re:Random JB3 Question
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2004, 03:38:46 AM »
the jb3 is about the size of your average personal cd player, it can easily pass as one too.

if your shows are loud enough (Matt Nathanson would be considered loud enough) you just plug the 1/8 batt box terminal into the line in of the jb3. that's it.  I listened to the d100/jb3 A>D comparison made by a Brian Skalinder and I agree with his conclusion: there's a noticeable difference, but the internal A>D of the jb3 is quite acceptable for the things we do.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline Diggin

• Taperssection All-Star
  • The similarities are frightening.
    • 10,000 Motherf*ckers
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2004, 10:03:57 AM »
since the SP Battery box is not an optical signal I would think you just use line in.  There will not be a quality loss comared to the MD and you only have to carry around a cd player ;)
Toshiba HD-A2 > HDMI > Panasonic TH-50PX600U
audio to be built soon

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Needs to get out more...
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 07:23:18 AM »
when i made the switch from md to njb3, the jb3 sounded much better than the md and i was just running mics > bat box > jb3

i'd say go for it.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline reigntaper

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2004, 07:41:48 PM »
So if I go without the battery box... will the JB3 power my mics?
At 350's > SP Battery Box > Nomad JB3
-or-
AT853's or AT835's >  SP Battery Box > Nomad JB3

Offline Diggin

• Taperssection All-Star
  • The similarities are frightening.
    • 10,000 Motherf*ckers
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2004, 09:12:56 PM »
no, you need the battery box to power the mics
Toshiba HD-A2 > HDMI > Panasonic TH-50PX600U
audio to be built soon

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com