Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Just about ready to order......little help..  (Read 8558 times)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
Re:Just about ready to order......little help..
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2004, 07:09:00 PM »

But remember that line-in does not apply any gain to the signal at all, so you can never "boost the volume" when using a line-input.  The level adjustments on a line-input act as an attenuator, meaning if the rec level is set at maximum, the signal coming in is not being changed at all.  At lower rec levels the signal is being attenuated down to the level you set it at.  You cannot actually "boost" the signal using a line-level input, all you can do is cut it, at best you can record it as-is.  The mic-input is just the opposite, it applies gain to the incoming signal which does actually increase the signal (it also adds noise, which is why you avoid cheap mic-pres if at all possible).  If the signal from the mics is weak to begin with, you cannot increase it using a line-input, only a pre-amp will actually add the gain you need.  If the signal from the mics is strong enough to work with the line-in you have no worries at all!  But without a mic pre you have no way to increase the levels (if you need to, you may not).

Fact is, I ran SP Binaurals -> Slimline Battery Box -> Line In on the Sony MD, hundreds of times.

The BB gives the gain.  The only thing the mic input does on that is supply 1.5v.  Battery box supplies that and then some.

You increase the levels on the MD recorder.  I have done it a million times.

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2004, 07:10:25 PM »
How does a Battery Box without a preamp give you gain?

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2004, 07:11:06 PM »
How does a Battery Box without a preamp give you gain?

Sorry... I mean power.

It gave plenty of power to use the line in.  Then, you hit record and pause at the same time.  Hit enter.  Hit left until you come to manual record.  Hit enter.  Then, the track left and track right buttons will increase/decrease the record level.  See page 33-34 on the MZ-N707 Manual.

Exactly how I did it every time on my Net NZ707.  I have used the same thing on the NJB3, setting the input to line in, and adjusting the record level.  On the NJB3, I usually never had to add anything, except the once, when I had it to about +6 on the record level for Leo Kottke.

All I am suggesting here is that if he is going to become a taping addict, like us, then he is going to want to upgrade.  Most logical upgrade is going to be a preamp, one that is better than a SP or CS preamp, such as teh AD-20, or something else with an A/D Converter.  So why buy 2 preamps?  I have done a bunch of recordings w/ mics -> battery box -> Sony MD.  Worked fine.  Sounds better w/ a pre, but works fine w/o it.

Why does this not seem like reasonable advice?

« Last Edit: April 30, 2004, 07:20:00 PM by pfife »
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2004, 08:02:53 PM »
yeah, sony's are a pain in the ass, go with a sharp

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
  • You wanna stick those white mics where?
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2004, 08:58:31 PM »
ok, prolly gonna get flamed but here ya go for ebay links

$95 gets you a set of mics and a preamp

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3278&item=3721121009

A cheaper option with just mics and a battery box would be giant squids from ebay $83

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15056&item=3093983372&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I have a set of the visivox mics and they arent too bad...  Have heard that folks have good results from giant squid too...

As for getting a NJB3 Check Ebay, Creative has been selling em on Ebay... This one with 20min to go is only going for $140ish  

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15058&item=3094346342

They have been putting em up for $169, so the mics with the njb3 would still be under $270, and you could easily upgrade the mics (if you go the squid route prolly would be easier to upgrade as they are more recognized)

« Last Edit: April 30, 2004, 09:07:09 PM by mikesus »
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Offline Rich.

• Taperssection Regular
  • Leeds, England.
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2004, 04:15:11 AM »
Thanks for the ebay links! Do those come with a bass-roll of option, as it mentions something about them but dosent say anything about the option been included?

Offline Rich.

• Taperssection Regular
  • Leeds, England.
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2004, 12:07:28 PM »
The mics and battery box from giant squid are lookin quite promissing!
The bass roll off seems to be built into the mics, is this a good idea? How would this work, would it just decrease the bass depending on the loudness of the show?

Thanks, Rich.

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
  • You wanna stick those white mics where?
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Rich.

• Taperssection Regular
  • Leeds, England.
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2004, 12:23:43 PM »
Thanks for the squid site. Call me stupid, but I cant find much information on the mics!

Offline Rich.

• Taperssection Regular
  • Leeds, England.
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2004, 12:36:15 PM »
Here's everything you need:
http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=7;action=display;threadid=18069

Hmm, interesting.

The bass roll off on the sp bat boxes; what are the mode's, does it completly get rid of all the bass from a  show or does it just "lower" it to a suitable level?

Also, has anyone got any info on the roll off on the giant squid mics?

Thanks, Rich.

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2004, 01:18:30 PM »
I'm selling my pair to todd e. ;) Darren will customize the roll-off setting to your recorder.
You will have much better results in shitty live environments using the SP-CMC-2s, the 831s, which will keep you under your budget and get good results simultaneous-lovin' style...

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2004, 01:23:34 PM »
Here's everything you need:
http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=7;action=display;threadid=18069

Hmm, interesting.

The bass roll off on the sp bat boxes; what are the mode's, does it completly get rid of all the bass from a  show or does it just "lower" it to a suitable level?

Also, has anyone got any info on the roll off on the giant squid mics?

Thanks, Rich.

rich;

if you're going with SP mics, consider my buddy's SP batt box. he just upgraded to phantom power/pre and wants to sell his SP batt box w/rolloff for cheap.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline Rich.

• Taperssection Regular
  • Leeds, England.
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2004, 01:47:12 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3093983372&category=15056&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

^Does this include mics and box? I emailed Darren & for an extra $15 he would include the optional bass-roll off!

All this number/code talk confuses me! What are the 831's?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2004, 01:56:18 PM by rich_incubus »

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2004, 01:57:45 PM »
Does this include mics and box? I emailed Darrend for an extra $15 he would include the optional bass-roll off!

All this number/code talk confuses me! What are the 831's?

831's are "Audio Technica AT831 cardioid condenser microphones".  they are VERY small and are great mics for stealthing.  imho, they are much better than the Squid mics.  i've ran AT831 mics in the past, and they are quite nice.

SP (SoundProfessional) sells them under their name as "CMC-2".  SP models' outputs are modified so you can run the mics with SP's battery box.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.424 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com