Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: are tapers "OBLIGATED" to share their recordings?  (Read 18470 times)

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: are tapers "OBLIGATED" to share their recordings?
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2004, 01:34:57 AM »
Simply, but brillantly put..

This is the mentality all tapers should have I think.

I don't know, maybe my mind is playing tricks on me, but aren't you one of the pricks over at ateaseweb that publicly shit on me because I asked not to mp3 my source and then had the audacity to offer the mp3s via HTTP and shit on other tapers that chimed in on the thread?  If not, excuse this post.

And maybe I've been living in a cave, but for someone that doesn't tape, how to you know what the "mentality" of a taper is?

I'm not trying to be a dick, but what went on over there was absolutely bullshit and is the number one reason I'll never release another radiohead show except to other tapers.

Yeah that was me...Sad to say, but sorry.

That is when I first starting getting into all of this, and I didn't know what the difference between loseless and mp3 was. So I just collected everything in mp3....And I'm sure I pissed a bunch of people off in the process. Finally after talking to Evolvist and the RH Hub, I realized I was doing it all wrong, and eventually got rid of all my mp3 recordings and downloaded most every Radiohead show in loseless. I was dumb and stupid, and sorry for whatever I said in the past.

And about people expecting shows, that's true you didn't drop $$ to record for me, if they wanted it they'd be out there taping themselves...And that is what I've decided to do..

Sorry for anything I said in the past JasonGreen, like I said, I really do fancy your 2003 tape of Radiohead...And hope my recordings will turn out well in the future..Cheers.

that was you! i remember you. from stg too, if i'm not mistaken... i knew i remembered the usename from somewhere... i remember you really making me mad about something. i guess it was radiohead.
anyway, whatever.
armen

Yeah, that thread was way, way, way back in the past....All of like two months ago.

JasonGreen

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2004, 01:44:10 AM »
kat-  This thread has officially been hijacked.  +T for letting us do it :)

taperkat

« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2004, 01:48:33 AM »
i am but a pretty pawn. actually, it's facinating watching how things go... i watch people too much, I guess. :)

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
    • Southern Shelter
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2004, 03:27:14 PM »
kat-  This thread has officially been hijacked.  +T for letting us do it :)

Anybody picked any good 'maters lately?

Sloan

thierryhenry

« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2004, 04:23:10 PM »
thierryhenry-

I'm not one to hold a grudge, (as some on this board can bring up some embarrasing moments from my past *cough* Scott *cough* *cough* Alex *cough*).  +T

Haha, go on my boy...

Anyway, yeah for anyone I pissed off in the past, I'm sorry. I was stupid and didn't know how the real trading/recording community functioned. I am trying to do it all correctly now, and hopefully I am...If not tell me! Thanks!

taperkat

« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2004, 05:03:26 PM »
picking it back up where I left off.

Someone asked today on the Vertical board if there was any intent to have any recent shows spread. I mentioned that I"d be handing off some masters to my friend next week :)

and then I'm asked:

"Awesome. Do you have any plans on uploading any of them to the usual places (Bt.etree, STG, ETc.)? I will keep my eyes peeled. "

my reply:

"I won't be the one uploading them - most likely they will be going on FTPs, not any normal site, because I don't want to see them on eBay and I'm not too enthused about letting any ol yokel download them.

However, i'll make sure that the FTP information gets to this circle of people. Smile"

then someone else posts:

"im not gonna start an argument or anything...all i will say is that the 2 shows that were put up on sharing the groove were downloaded by a lot of people...people that are not part of this board, and people who may not have dled it in any other setting....and since the idea is to spread vh's music as much as possible, that seems like a really good idea to continue...confining the people who have access to dl it is essentially defeating the purpose... "

so then I posted:

"Depending that there seem to be server issues with STG right now, as well as some legal issues, I would prefer to keep VH's name off that area.

I could always convert them and then just do B+P where it will probably take me a month or 2 per show to do them. Smile"

Now i'm thinking I just get them converted and give copies to the band, and THEN let the BAND decide what they want done.

Offline gewwang

« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2004, 05:09:00 PM »
Since they're taper-friendly, have someone seed them on bt.etree.org

taperkat

« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2004, 05:11:10 PM »
is that a good place to put them? not the legal problems of stg or anything as such?

i haven't downloaded much at all :/

Offline gewwang

« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2004, 05:17:20 PM »
They have a check box on the upload page that asks if the band is verified to be taper-friendly. I've never left it unchecked as I only torrent taper- friendly (or at least tradable) shows there, so I don't know what the form will do if you don't.

Not sure what the legal issues are with STG. I've torrented alot of stealths there and never worried about it.

Offline Fryhoffer

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2004, 05:26:36 PM »
They have a check box on the upload page that asks if the band is verified to be taper-friendly. I've never left it unchecked as I only torrent taper- friendly (or at least tradable) shows there, so I don't know what the form will do if you don't.

Not sure what the legal issues are with STG. I've torrented alot of stealths there and never worried about it.

If you don't check the box it rejects your upload and forces you to check it before continuing (I forgot once).  I, too, am wondering about these legal issues with STG.

taperkat

« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2004, 05:28:27 PM »
basically, it boils down to if stuff is being sold on ebay that is gotten off stg, does that mean STG is participating , albeit unwillingly, in the sales?

I guess I can always email the band and ask.

JasonGreen

« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2004, 07:08:08 PM »
kat-  Just lie about taping.  Obviously these spoiled kids have taken your tapings (and others) for granted and now expect it.  I'd quit giving them shows all together.

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2004, 01:16:43 PM »
Kat, I agree with you 100000%. The first person who offers to buy me a cd burner with no scms code can feel free to do so. Until then, I've spent my 5K on gear and don't need any more. I do have some shows at which I was the only taper and they are uncirculated. I'd love to spread these tunes, but I am not willing to pony up any more of my cash right now. This wook asked me one day how I plan to listen to the shows after I recorded it on dat. I pointed to the PLAY button. I'll go cd when I stop stealing coasters from the bar, otherwise they have little use to me.  ;)

People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

Offline mizary

• Taperssection Member
  • Bam!
    • Go buy some Elvis stuff!
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2004, 03:04:02 PM »
Yep...  I agree unless the band has a policy that states otherwise you are under no obligation to do anything with your recordings.

However...  I must say I will never understand the people not wanting to distribute the shows they record.  I can understand not wanting to spend more $$$ on gear to do transfers...  but it's not hard to find a trustworthy transfer bitch - I am sure you could even find people willing to cover postage both ways. 

As far as the ebay excuse goes, people will always try to sell bootlegs on ebay.  Archive.org has 1,000's of shows available for the bootleggers to DL and sell.  The bootleggers could care less if I don't share my recordings - they will find something to sell - and if not they will start taping the shows themselfs (like the old days) - then I will have to pay $40 for an "import" of the show instead of grabbing it for free off stg.

I will also never understand tapers acting all high and mighty when people come up after a show wanting a copy.  Just give them an email address and offer a B&P or point them to stg/etree/ftp/etc.  I LOVE it when a crowd of people come up after a show wanting copies.  Also only about 1 out of 10 will actually email you back so it's not much effort to rattle off an email address to them.  However if someone demanded a copy or got pushy I'd tell them to buzz off.  But all the people who have came up to me after a show have been super nice - after all you have something they want.

--mizary
Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
    • Southern Shelter
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2004, 11:51:41 AM »
Yep...  I agree unless the band has a policy that states otherwise you are under no obligation to do anything with your recordings.

However...  I must say I will never understand the people not wanting to distribute the shows they record.  I can understand not wanting to spend more $$$ on gear to do transfers...  but it's not hard to find a trustworthy transfer bitch - I am sure you could even find people willing to cover postage both ways. 

As far as the ebay excuse goes, people will always try to sell bootlegs on ebay.  Archive.org has 1,000's of shows available for the bootleggers to DL and sell.  The bootleggers could care less if I don't share my recordings - they will find something to sell - and if not they will start taping the shows themselfs (like the old days) - then I will have to pay $40 for an "import" of the show instead of grabbing it for free off stg.

I will also never understand tapers acting all high and mighty when people come up after a show wanting a copy.  Just give them an email address and offer a B&P or point them to stg/etree/ftp/etc.  I LOVE it when a crowd of people come up after a show wanting copies.  Also only about 1 out of 10 will actually email you back so it's not much effort to rattle off an email address to them.  However if someone demanded a copy or got pushy I'd tell them to buzz off.  But all the people who have came up to me after a show have been super nice - after all you have something they want.

--mizary

It's not always a case of high and mighty though.  It can become a huge pain in the ass; I'm trying to get my stuff together and get out of the venue without pissing off the staff.  God forbid I try to speak to a taper/civilian friend while I'm doing so, 'cause everytime I'm swarmed by a bunch of rude folks making demands.  And then how dare I suggest that they find a pen?  And why won't I contact them, or just send them CDs? "Oh I don't have email, just give me your number" (like I want some total stranger calling me at work to do them a favor; they don't wanna send B&P either, just send 'em the CDs).  Nobody waits politely while I try to speak to a cute girl.  My favorite is the guy that wants to yell to me while the band is gettin' down about getting a copy.  My policy:  "no problem, just come talk to me after the show."  "Oh, I'm leaving before the show ends."  Well, I'm not talking to you to explain the concept of B&P while I'm listening to the band!  I have 'em get pissed that I don't wanna trade (my favorite, being a Georgia resident, is "man I've got lots of Panic to trade!", like I don't know where to find that stuff); I can't keep up with all the stuff I tape, but I'm an asshole if I don't wanna trade with every pushy stranger at 2:00 am.  And the ones that do actually write you, I've had 'em write before I got home from the show!  I've also had a couple folks respond, hit me up for the B&P, and then a couple days later I'll get a random email from someone I didn't give my email to, one of the people I gave it to PASSED MY EMAIL ADD ON to their friends!!!

Anyway, I know you guys all know about all that kinda stuff, just seemed like a good thread to vent in  ;D !!

Sloan

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com