Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Taping Guide Sign-ups! (Last chance I guess)  (Read 19603 times)

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Jokell
Re: Taping Guide Sign-ups!
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2004, 06:21:28 PM »
You guys do realize that to actually do this in a way that won't suck it will have to be something like 300-400 pages, right?  Oh, and Chapter 5 doesn't really need to be more than a paragraph.  Just be polite and courteous to the soundguy when asking for a patch, and make sure he's not busy at the time.  There, I just wrote Chapter 5 in a sentence. ;D  Chapter 9 could be a book all of it's own.  You'd have to cover on site matrixes (with equipment) and post matrixes on both Macs and PCs.

Not that I don't think this is a good thing.  I just think you guys may not know what you're getting into. ;)
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Sanjay

• www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2004, 07:33:27 PM »
well 300 pages might be a bit much but as much stuff as people contribute will go in, so if I get 300 + pages so be it  ;D  right now i really need something to keep me busy anyways..
mics & cameras

hexyjones

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2004, 07:49:40 PM »
I think the steath stuff should be limited to gear and technique...what works and what doesn't...where to sit  - where not to sit...

As for eluding security checks...sneaking gear in...on that one - we should all keep our collective secrets to ourselves...

Offline goose

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2004, 07:59:50 PM »
[old guy attitude on]
I'm not sure I get the desire behind undertaking such a project.  Most of the information is on this site, and frankly, that is spoonfeeding newbs as much as I am comfortable.  I am disappointed with the sense of entitlement and lack of willingness to learn that I see in a lot of people.  Too many people, IMO, want stuff handed to them rather than researching, reading, and experiencing - just as this project is meant to do.
[/old guy]

The above comment is not aimed at anyone in particular, just an observation.  This site has become the repository for taping information on the internet - why is a summary of ts.com info and experience necessary?

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2004, 08:25:45 PM »
[old guy attitude on]
I'm not sure I get the desire behind undertaking such a project.  Most of the information is on this site, and frankly, that is spoonfeeding newbs as much as I am comfortable.  I am disappointed with the sense of entitlement and lack of willingness to learn that I see in a lot of people.  Too many people, IMO, want stuff handed to them rather than researching, reading, and experiencing - just as this project is meant to do.
[/old guy]

The above comment is not aimed at anyone in particular, just an observation.  This site has become the repository for taping information on the internet - why is a summary of ts.com info and experience necessary?

I agree 100% with your comment that some newbs want everything handed to them when they want them, but i also realise as I have been only doing this for two years that even as you progress in the hobby it would be nice to have something to refer to.  And only those who truely want to learn would read this book.  Those who want things quickly answered and handed to them won't want to read through a book any more than they wont want to research.  In my mind this wont be a taping for dummies but instead a reference tool for tapers of all levels putting together hard to find and relativly common information together.  Those who are too lazy to research certainly won't want to look at a book.
mics & cameras

hexyjones

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2004, 10:10:41 PM »
[old guy attitude on]
[/old guy]

Man - I remember trying to find taping/mic/recording info BEFORE THE INTERNET...ORTF?...you may have heard about it...but where, where, where, could you find any real info...? It was very hard to come by before the net...

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2004, 10:15:27 PM »
[old guy attitude on]
[/old guy]

I agree with this wholeheartedly....part of what I like the most about this hobby is the friends I have made along the way in learning about it...and also the infamoust screw ups I have had....nothing teaches better than your own mistakes...

Offline DCDireWolf

• Taperssection Member
  • You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2004, 01:04:01 AM »
I dunno, what's the big deal if there's a primer in print for people to read if they choose, not read if they choose.  Particpate if you want, don't particpate if you don't want.  I doubt the guide will have any significant impact on this forum, it will continue to chug along in all its glory.  *shrug*
"It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness."  -Jerry Garcia

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2004, 02:50:00 PM »
we still need more volunteers, lets not loose yesterdays momentum!
mics & cameras

jpschust

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2004, 07:34:21 AM »
hey, i just remembered something with indesign.  do not use an old version, only use the newest version.  old templates are not compatible with new versions.  it really screwed me over on my last project.  (created probably 200 extra hours of work for me)

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2004, 02:43:49 AM »
http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?action=search

you can probably get about 100 pages of info in a few hours of ctrl+c/ctrl+v

Offline C.Clark

• Rediscovering the Magic!
    • Too Many Shows!
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2004, 04:40:34 AM »
ill do ch. 12, spread that recording
Current Rig:
Mics: Neumann SKM184, Neumann SKM185, AKG C414 XLS/ST, DPA ST2015
Recorder: SD MixPre-6ii, SD MixPre-10ii
Extras: SD MixPre-D, SD USBPre2, Sony TCD-D8
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Former Rigs:
ADK TL --> Segue Dogstars --> SD 722
AT4051a --> Segue Dogstars --> MP-2 --> SD 722
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> VxPocket V2 --> Laptop
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> V2 --> Mod SBM-1 --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> MP-2 --> AD1000 --> Sony TCD-D100
AKGC1000s --> Denecke PS/2 --> Denecke AD-20 --> Sony MiniDisc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://db.etree.org/cpclar

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2004, 05:25:45 PM »
I'd like to do the matrix chapter, but I have no experience with "post-matrixing" Those are 2 completely different animals IMO and should be done separately.  The post matrixing is more closely related to post production, then taping technique, and may be best covered that way.   Also there should be a chapter on approaching, and building rapport with bands and management.  I would say that between that chapter and the patching chapter you could remove the "be nice to the sound guy" chapter.  If that idea is well received and you don't want to split the matrix chapter, I will take that one instead, or both if nobody else wants them.
     All that being said.  Based on the comments of disagreement with such a project:  I don't think it will be that time consuming if we have a lot of people working on it together.  I think that many of these subjects are going to have many different opinions, and the moderator may not agree with the masses, so we will have to have general consensus on some of the topics as opposed to just one voice.  And as far as the "one stop shopping" comments... I think that this will cut down on some of the "dumb" questions that newbies (including myself in the past) have asked, but it may also cut down on the people posting and getting involved in the community.  I disagree strongly with the stealth chapter, for all the reasons listed earlier in this thread.  Weather we justify it in our minds or not, it is an illegal activity, and those techniques are best spread out as opposed to a one click guide.  The things that are most beneficial in stealthing are the creative ways people do it and those ways come from not knowing how everyone else does it. 
     My opinion is that this will be a good thing, but I felt I should play devils advocate.  If this flies, I definitely want to contribute what I can.
Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2004, 08:52:17 PM »
I'm on vacation right now so I haven't been updating the thing for awhile, just wanted to let you know I haven't disappeared.  I'm in Jackson, WY so I found a computer but I wont be home till monday to update.  Hope all is well.

-Sanjay
mics & cameras

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2004, 09:16:03 PM »
it is an illegal activity

No it's not.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.116 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com