Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: First recordings coming up  (Read 6219 times)

Offline roskile

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
First recordings coming up
« on: September 29, 2004, 08:00:21 PM »
Hi guys,

I just want to thank everyone who has provided help to me in my short time here. There is a lot that I have learned...and there is a lot that I still must learn.

There are two, maybe three, concerts upcoming that I plan on taping. These will also be my first ever attempts. A week from today I will be going to see the Deftones and then Skinny Puppy soon after. I'm really not sure what I am more nervous/excited about..the fact that this will be my first concert since 1998, or the fact that I will be attempting to tape it.

My setup is a Sony PCM-M1>TFB-2 CARDIOID(ear mounted mics)>SP-SPSB-2M3(Mini Premium Battery Module w/bass rolloff).

Both the Deftones and Skinny Puppy concerts are general admission. Obviously I want to stay out of the front section to avoid the mosh pit. But where else can I stand to get the most out of the sound?

Also, how should I adjust the bass rolloff for the mics and how do I choose the volume to record at? Can this only be done by checking the levels during recording to make sure that it is not clipping?

I remember someone mentioning earlier to go line in instead of mic in, should I adjust the setting on the dat recorder to line in? And what are the advantages over this?

I've also read that brand new dat tapes should be fastforwarded in the unit once to spread the tape lubricants and loosen the tape up. Is this recommended?

I hope you all don't mind the questions. I know that the only true way to find all this out is to try it on my own and experiment. However, I would like to have an idea of how to maximize the settings and whatnot beforehand so I can further understand the process and motions.

Regards,
roskile
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 08:04:53 PM by roskile »

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
Re: First recordings coming up
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 08:41:45 AM »
Refer to the taping guide...oh it aint ready yet  ;D

First off you've got the sound going the wrong way - it should be mics>battery box>recorder!

Anyway I've done some digging on the sound pro site, and figured out those mics (AT831s) are the same as in my CMC2s.

I use typically 95 or 107 Hz bass roll-off for loud rock shows. 16Hz is for acoustic, and 160Hz should only be used for bands with a very loud bassist. Adjust to suit the band you are going to see.

Try standing dead centre, right behind the mosh pit. If you end up IN the mosh pit, move back a little..

Go line in, I'm pretty sure with the M1 (never used one) that you will overload the levels going mic-in.

Good luck!
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 09:03:24 AM »
i wouldn't be packing you tape using the m1, it'll wear out your motors.  i do mine (most of the time) on a full size deck.  if you don't have one don't worry.  what you do want to worry about is that you're recording in absolute time mode.  i have absolutely no clue where the mode button is on an m1, but as you scroll through it will appear as a-time. 

be sure you have fresh batteries, and back-up batteries.

learn to use your rig in the dark, now.  practice so that you know the feel of the buttons so you don't have to look(if it's that stealthy a situation)  once you have things squared away, engage the hold button, so you don't do anything silly by mistake.  now all you need to worry about is the gain.

sweet spot should be just behind the mosh pit.  don't get too close to the sbd, or they'll see you being the only person not moving and bust you.  going with friends?  enlist them to block for you.  don't let them talk shit about going upfront to check out the hottie, etc.  they'll all want a copy of the show, and they'll want it to be as good as you do, have them help it be that way.  if there are other stealthers there, you guys will spot each other right away, combine forces.

go to the bathroom before the show

good luck

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2004, 09:15:34 AM »
I second the notion of going to the bathroom early.   Here's some other advice:

As far as where to stand, I always try to get in the center - in your mind, make a equilateral triangle between the stax on the R, the stax on the L, and the third point would be where you would want to stand, ideally.  What I have also learned is that I learn venues- the other evening I taped the black keys, and I was standing pretty far back, and I think it woulda sounded better had I gotten closer to the stax.  So, this Monday, for Dillinger Escape Plan, I am going to stand up closer than I was the other day.  Sooner or later, you'll tweak it, and get the sound you like the best for your recordings.

Another thing- with those ear mounted mics- your tapes are going to be extremely sensitive to head movement; Stand as still as possible, and don't look to the sides- you'll definately hear it in the tapes, expecially if they are cardoids.  Its a little less dramatic if they are omnis, but definately still noticable.   But also, if you have omni caps, in your source information, be sure to note that they are a true binaural recording;  And be sure to check out the recording on headphones too when you get home- because ideally, with omnis placed by your ears and split by your head, the recording should recreate exactly what was heard (barring mic and preamp coloration, obviously).

Don't get too upset if the tape doesn't come out as good as you would have hoped- we've all muffed them b4.

And, have fun.  Hopefully you get to hear some stuff from "Too Dark Park" .   Finally, share the tape.  Don't sell it.  ;)

+t for startin out.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline snapple ryes

• Taperssection All-Star
  • ``release the hounds
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2004, 05:40:01 PM »
i wish i knew more about DAT decks so as to give you some more advice on this. it's great that you're taping the deftones, i've been trying like crazy to find as many people as possible to tape them on this tour.
i dont know why, but almost every deftones recording i've heard has serious bass distortion problems. they're a pretty bassy live band judging from the few times i've seen them play. id suggest setting the bass levels just a little lower than whatever seems right at the time. at least a lack of bass can be EQ'd or tinkered with later on...whereas distortion will be a permanent annoyance on a recording.

other than that, yeah. the obvious dont stick around where the crowd is too thick to minimize crowd noise thing....

as for the bobbing of the head while taping, i've done that several times i've recorded and normally dont notice any sound difference at all from the times i do bob my head and the times i dont. and i use stealth cardiod mics(fuck binaural's!).
- The isolation of science from feeling, emotion, purpose, singular events, and historic identity, endeared it to more limited minds. But it is not, perhaps, an accident that most of the great spirits in science, from Kepler and Newton to Faraday and Einstein, kept alive in their thought the presence of God - not as a mode of explaining events, but as a reminder of why they're ultimately as unexplainable today as they were in their time.

http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/abandonshows/past_torrents.html

"been there done that" attitudes are for folks who are too cool to be happy.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2004, 06:41:25 PM »
as for the bobbing of the head while taping, i've done that several times i've recorded and normally dont notice any sound difference at all from the times i do bob my head and the times i dont. and i use stealth cardiod mics(fuck binaural's!).

I don't mean bobbing head- I mean turning your head away from the soundsource.   And, Binaurals are not mics- its a technique.  And, to each his/her own.  I like omni's, and I wish I had a set.

So, since you are a minustee whore, does that mean I plustee you  ;)
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline snapple ryes

• Taperssection All-Star
  • ``release the hounds
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2004, 07:21:22 PM »

I don't mean bobbing head- I mean turning your head away from the soundsource.   And, Binaurals are not mics- its a technique.  And, to each his/her own.  I like omni's, and I wish I had a set.

So, since you are a minustee whore, does that mean I plustee you  ;)

well yeah. i never turn my head away from the source unless it's b/w songs.

and binaural's, binaral's, however u spell em. those crappy mics arent worth spelling correctly anyways.

- The isolation of science from feeling, emotion, purpose, singular events, and historic identity, endeared it to more limited minds. But it is not, perhaps, an accident that most of the great spirits in science, from Kepler and Newton to Faraday and Einstein, kept alive in their thought the presence of God - not as a mode of explaining events, but as a reminder of why they're ultimately as unexplainable today as they were in their time.

http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/abandonshows/past_torrents.html

"been there done that" attitudes are for folks who are too cool to be happy.

Offline roskile

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2004, 12:57:14 AM »
First off you've got the sound going the wrong way - it should be mics>battery box>recorder!

Anyway I've done some digging on the sound pro site, and figured out those mics (AT831s) are the same as in my CMC2s.

I use typically 95 or 107 Hz bass roll-off for loud rock shows. 16Hz is for acoustic, and 160Hz should only be used for bands with a very loud bassist. Adjust to suit the band you are going to see.

Try standing dead centre, right behind the mosh pit. If you end up IN the mosh pit, move back a little..

Go line in, I'm pretty sure with the M1 (never used one) that you will overload the levels going mic-in.

Good luck!
HeHe, thanks for pointing out that I had it backwards  ;) SP-SPSB-2M3>TFB-2 CARDIOID>Sony PCM-M1  ;D Also, thanks for recommending the bass roll-off settings and suggesting where to stand.

learn to use your rig in the dark, now.  practice so that you know the feel of the buttons so you don't have to look(if it's that stealthy a situation)  once you have things squared away, engage the hold button, so you don't do anything silly by mistake.  now all you need to worry about is the gain.

sweet spot should be just behind the mosh pit.  don't get too close to the sbd, or they'll see you being the only person not moving and bust you.  going with friends?  enlist them to block for you.  don't let them talk shit about going upfront to check out the hottie, etc.  they'll all want a copy of the show, and they'll want it to be as good as you do, have them help it be that way.  if there are other stealthers there, you guys will spot each other right away, combine forces.

go to the bathroom before the show

good luck

jr
Thanks for your info as well JR. I'll start getting to know my DAT recorder a little better so I can memorize and have a feel for where all the buttons are.

Also let me know what you think of this. I work in retail and my district manager was in town today. She lives in Albuquerque, NM where the Skinny Puppy concert is going to be. I told her about it and it turns out she sometimes helps the sound guy that works at the venue (named Rich or Rick). She told me that all I have to do is get in and she can allow me to setup with the sound guy, saying that I can lay my deck right down there to record. Do you think I should take her up on the offer? I could use a different set of mics (SP-CMC-2) for this. Would this offer better sound to record from this area?

I second the notion of going to the bathroom early.   Here's some other advice:

Another thing- with those ear mounted mics- your tapes are going to be extremely sensitive to head movement; Stand as still as possible, and don't look to the sides- you'll definately hear it in the tapes, expecially if they are cardoids.  Its a little less dramatic if they are omnis, but definately still noticable.   But also, if you have omni caps, in your source information, be sure to note that they are a true binaural recording;  And be sure to check out the recording on headphones too when you get home- because ideally, with omnis placed by your ears and split by your head, the recording should recreate exactly what was heard (barring mic and preamp coloration, obviously).

Don't get too upset if the tape doesn't come out as good as you would have hoped- we've all muffed them b4.

And, have fun.  Hopefully you get to hear some stuff from "Too Dark Park" .   Finally, share the tape.  Don't sell it.  ;)

+t for startin out.
Thanks to you as well pfife. I'll make sure to head into the bathroom as soon as I get in to get everything set. I do believe Skinny Puppy allows taping. I have a few cds (Back and Forth volumes) which contain early demos, remixes, unreleased/bsides, and live songs as well as multimedia content. On one of the cds I have (volumes 3+4), it states:

thanks to those who submitted live tapes and bootlegs for this series, as it is, we never even made it through the vault. brap on.

I know, they use the ugly word there. But reading this led me to believe that they do allow taping. I emailed Cevin Key almost a month ago asking him for permission to tape but received no response. Should I get caught with the gear, this will be one of my last resorts/excuses to why I have it. Gonna take the cd with me to show lol. But only if I can't make it in clean.

And while I'd like the recording to be perfect, I know it will not be. In a way, I don't even expect it to be that good seeing as this is very new to me. It is about having fun and coming away with a memory of a hopefully great night.

Also I think Skinny Puppy is currently playing Convulsion and Reclamation off of Too Dark Park..though I'm hoping they'll throw in T.F.W.O. or Spasmolytic. It's cool that they are playing Glass Houses too. I can't wait.  :D

I can't give them yet, but +T's for all of you who have replied.

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2004, 01:57:34 AM »
binaural is a taping technique using omnis.  its where the mics are on the side of your head by your ear.  i have a pair of little stealth omnis like that and i must say, i hardly ever made a bad tape with them.

one suggestion, get a bottle of water or two before the show too.  especially if the venue allows smoking and especially if you smoke (my throat gets really dry at shows from all the smoke) ...and standing in one spot for 1-3 hours can take a lot out of you surprisingly...you'll enjoy the water about 45 minutes into the opening band.  don't drink too much tho, or else you're going to be in pain by the end of the show from your bladder.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2004, 02:02:00 AM »
+T for taping deftones.  tape dredg, the opener too.  they're awesome.

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2004, 08:24:21 AM »
anytime you can get an 'in' with the house sound guy do it.  that way you may get power, you and your gear will be in a safe environment, and you'll be able to go to the bathroom as well.  send him a copy so he remembers you for next time.

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2004, 10:31:07 AM »
don't drink too much tho, or else you're going to be in pain by the end of the show from your bladder.

yeah, but if you brought a few bottles of water in with you, and drank a few, you have a portable bathroom right there....

btw-  gatorade bottles are perfect to relieve yourself in....the large ones so that you don't have to worry about overflow and the opening at the top is pretty wide...  ;D
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2004, 11:22:25 AM »
TFWO!  Awesome!  THat would rule.

I would also agree that if you can do non-stealth (comfortably) - then take up the offer.  The only thing I would worry about is trying to get the stand past the security.  I noticed that here in detroit the show is at a place that has notoriously stringent security- they would never allow you to bring in a stand, if they were even remotely unsure that the band was pro-taping.  If you get turned away with the stand, be sure to go to someone else in line when you are trying to get through security (if there is security).

And, if you can secure different mics, I would too, but that's going to entail all kinds of differnet stuff that you might not be able to acquire before then (preamp w/ phantom power, cables, etc).  I think, as a new taper, you'll be pretty surprised by the quality of tape you pull using the SP stuff.  I was initially blown away- and so were my friends... but then the upgrade bug comes with a vengeance.

But, I should qualify my above statement by saying that I am becoming more and more stealth-loving as time progresses, for a couple reasons:  You can get into a sweet spot much easier, and I like recordings that are more nearfield than FOB (in general) in a large auditorium/theatre/arena/etc.  and 2) You don't have to worry about drunk ass punk bitches knocking your stand over.  I get really annoyed by that, to the point where I am ready to ditch it almost completely.

+  again for gettin down and dirty.  And + to heath for suggesting the gatorade bottle.  If you pissed in gatorade bottle at a show, in the middle of a crowd, that would be +10,000 punk points.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2004, 12:35:37 PM »
TFWO!  Awesome!  THat would rule.

I would also agree that if you can do non-stealth (comfortably) - then take up the offer.  The only thing I would worry about is trying to get the stand past the security.  I noticed that here in detroit the show is at a place that has notoriously stringent security- they would never allow you to bring in a stand, if they were even remotely unsure that the band was pro-taping.  If you get turned away with the stand, be sure to go to someone else in line when you are trying to get through security (if there is security).

And, if you can secure different mics, I would too, but that's going to entail all kinds of differnet stuff that you might not be able to acquire before then (preamp w/ phantom power, cables, etc).  I think, as a new taper, you'll be pretty surprised by the quality of tape you pull using the SP stuff.  I was initially blown away- and so were my friends... but then the upgrade bug comes with a vengeance.

But, I should qualify my above statement by saying that I am becoming more and more stealth-loving as time progresses, for a couple reasons:  You can get into a sweet spot much easier, and I like recordings that are more nearfield than FOB (in general) in a large auditorium/theatre/arena/etc.  and 2) You don't have to worry about drunk ass punk bitches knocking your stand over.  I get really annoyed by that, to the point where I am ready to ditch it almost completely.

+  again for gettin down and dirty.  And + to heath for suggesting the gatorade bottle.  If you pissed in gatorade bottle at a show, in the middle of a crowd, that would be +10,000 punk points.

i witnessed a very good friend use the gatorade trick on the field for the Dead at RFK stadium.  People were shoulder to shoulder down there and he just grabbed the bottle and did his business...hysterical!

H
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2004, 11:39:02 PM »
Also let me know what you think of this. I work in retail and my district manager was in town today. She lives in Albuquerque, NM where the Skinny Puppy concert is going to be. I told her about it and it turns out she sometimes helps the sound guy that works at the venue (named Rich or Rick). She told me that all I have to do is get in and she can allow me to setup with the sound guy, saying that I can lay my deck right down there to record. Do you think I should take her up on the offer? I could use a different set of mics (SP-CMC-2) for this. Would this offer better sound to record from this area?

Since I didn't see anyone address this too specifically I thought I'd chime in. If you don't have a mic stand it really won't do any good to open tape next to the board. Instead if you can get in good with the FOH guy see if you can get a soundboard patch, that would yeild better results than just setting your mics on the rail/shelf around it. To patch off the board you'll need different cables depending on the output check the archive for more specific info.

+T for taping deftones.  tape dredg, the opener too.  they're awesome.

Yes tape dredg, I like them a hell of a lot more than the deftones, but have yet to get any live dredg shows.  :(
we are the people the rescuers will never find

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com