Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Suggestions on passing thorugh a metal detector?  (Read 5973 times)

Offline Evil Taper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
Suggestions on passing thorugh a metal detector?
« on: November 06, 2004, 01:02:25 AM »
The venue which I am going to tape at is The Rave in Milwaukee, WI.  It seems to be fairly random as to when they use the metal detector wands and not.  I have seen some bands there multiple times and sometimes they used them and sometimes they didn't.  I am going to be precautious just incase.  My gear is as follows:

Sony MZ-R37 MD
Giant Squid Audio Labs Omnidirectional Powered Stereo Mics with Bass Roll-off
Giant Squid Audio Labs Battery Box

I am planning on crotching the gear unless someone has a better suggestion.  The band I'm recording is Marilyn Manson.  I know that nobody seems to have much positive to say about the GSA mics but it's my current setup and the recordings I have made in the past sound better than most recordings I've heard from metal shows.  My only complaint would be how large the battery box is, the mics can reproduce a drumset recorded from 18 inches away with zero distortion, which in my opinion is a fairly strong testament to their abilities.  Enough with the rambling, any helpful info will be greatly appreciated.  Also, in anyones previous experiences where a wand has located the recorder does claiming to have an exotic piercing grant you easy entry without further checks?  Thanks to all who can help me, the show is next week!!!
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline udski

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Suggestions on passing thorugh a metal detector?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2004, 11:12:30 AM »
Croctch It + big cowboy-type belt buckle

It they make you take the belt off, admit the Prince Albert.

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2004, 05:18:34 PM »
I have a big belt with metal studs all over it and a big belt buckle.  I'd heard the belt buckle trick sometimes works.  If I do claim to have a prince albert they can't make me whip it out for them can they?

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2004, 09:49:53 AM »
Croctch It + big cowboy-type belt buckle

It they make you take the belt off, admit the Prince Albert.
Price A is the man and you can be too...this would work big time for that show  ;D
glf
jah
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

Offline Just Taper Mark from NC

• when the bass kicks..all I need is a mic and a stage and mix.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Dodgertown 90090
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004, 11:15:34 AM »
being a MM show I think they would have no trouble believing the prince albert
story and NO they wouldn't make you whip it out unless they're homo's or
something. hell,I'd think it would be a requirement to get in or something,all I
know is that d00d scares me :o
Positive vibration man.That's what makes it work.That's reggae music.You can't look away because it is real.You listen to what I sing because I mean what I sing,there's no secret,no big deal.,Just honesty,that's all."-Hon. Robert Nesta Marley 1977

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 02:01:24 AM »
ok thanks guys, i hope the recording sounds better than a large portion of the other manson boots I own, mostly made with sony stereo mics (uckkkkkk)!!!

Offline deadhoarse

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 11:47:33 AM »
Unfortunately, a venue that I frequent has started using metal detectors as well.  When I first saw the wands, I hesitated and thought about putting my gear in the car, but I said hell with it and just walked through.  Nothing went off that time, or the two other times I was wanded.  Keep in mind that it probably would go off if their wands were set to a higher sensitivity, I do get nervous about that every time.  I am stealthing a Sony M1, a plastic battery box, and DPA 4061 mics.
Good luck.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2004, 11:49:25 AM by deadhoarse »

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 12:37:52 PM »
I have a big belt with metal studs all over it and a big belt buckle.  I'd heard the belt buckle trick sometimes works.  If I do claim to have a prince albert they can't make me whip it out for them can they?

don't wear studs or spikes to a show. they might make you remove the item and check it.
you can do it!

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2004, 01:39:45 AM »
Gosh darn, I put my big belt buckle on a studded belt.  Guess I better find a let weaponlike belt now.  Also the MD and battery box are both metal.  In the instance that I do get picked up with the wands they can't determine exactly what size the object is can they?

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2004, 04:45:15 AM »
So...the wands shouldn't be able to detect to size of the object right?  Sorry if I'm being paranoid but I just can't really afford to have my stuff confiscated.  First time is always the most intense for things of this nature.

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2004, 04:50:45 AM »
i doubt they can determine the size...but then again, who's to say you don't have a huge PA and a cockring to match. heh.

i've also hard that ductape around the items would work.  maybe wear old pants and put in a layer of duct tape around the inside of them.  i'd bet that'd get really hot tho.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2004, 10:18:43 PM »
Unfortunately, a venue that I frequent has started using metal detectors as well.  When I first saw the wands, I hesitated and thought about putting my gear in the car, but I said hell with it and just walked through.  Nothing went off that time, or the two other times I was wanded.  Keep in mind that it probably would go off if their wands were set to a higher sensitivity, I do get nervous about that every time.  I am stealthing a Sony M1, a plastic battery box, and DPA 4061 mics.
Good luck.

isn't it the batteries that do the most damage metal wise? I've only been wanded once. and i had a ton of gear on me.  luckily taping was ok.

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2004, 01:39:35 AM »
Batteries...good point.  Too bad I don't have any steel toes anymore cuz I could jam those by my toes.  But yeah, especially at a very pierced concert how can they contest that you have a jacobs ladder, PA, and some scrotum jewelry too boot.  I'll let you guys know how it went on saturday.  As for the sneakiness, I got the idea of sewing a pocket onto my briefs for the minidisc to keep it in position, works really well.  Now as long as the battery pack stays in place i should be ok.  For some reason the cords are all about 60" for the mics and the plug.  All shall go well and I will have made the first manson recording of this tour come saturday. ;D

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2004, 03:28:17 AM »
So...the wands shouldn't be able to detect to size of the object right?  Sorry if I'm being paranoid but I just can't really afford to have my stuff confiscated.  First time is always the most intense for things of this nature.

The worst thing that can happen is they kick you out.  They cannot take your gear.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline deadhoarse

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2004, 04:08:44 AM »

The worst thing that can happen is they kick you out.  They cannot take your gear.

Exactly.  And since your biggest concern at this point is the wands outside the venue....if you do happen to set them off, you can always just come clean about it and walk to the car. Just relax.

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2004, 04:45:41 AM »
Ok cool.  I just have first time jitters.

silverbullet

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2004, 06:28:27 AM »
I wouldn't recommend wearing studs either or anything that a venue may think would hurt somebody in a mosh pit. studs, chains, etc...

If your MD runs on just one AA battery then if you have a spare pager around put the battery in that and just do a battery transfer once in the venue.

Seems like a lot of the new MD recorders are mostly cheap plastic nowadays. I guess that could be good in this situation :)

I always say 'go for it' also. I even got in line twice at a APC show after I got caught the first time figuring what the hell. During the second check the main security guy had me set aside for a thorough spread eagle pat down and still nothing. No metal detectors though.

most important is to stay cool and calm Maybe throw some coins and a fat lighter in your pocket with some cigarettes even if you don't smoke. You'll be good to go.

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2004, 04:00:08 AM »
OK.  With all this info taken into consideration I guess the best thing I can do is just go for it and hope for the best.  I'm fairly confident that the genital piercing alley will be the one I should go especially at this show, they can't touch you in your private area or you can sue them fuckers.  So I'm going to get in and tell you all how it went down.  Thanks for all the help.

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2004, 08:30:42 AM »
confidence is key.  if they ask you what it is just tell them that you don't think your disability is any of their business.  if you're really worried you could wrap your arm in gauze and wrap the gear in their as well...use those metal hooks and they'll never know.  its not like they're going to make you take your bandages off your broken arm....once you get inside take it off and you're set.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2004, 01:03:42 PM »
confidence is key.

This can't be stated enough.  If you're nervous at all they'll probably know something's up.  You have to stay cool.  Also a good idea is to act completely idiotic.  Load up your pockets with stuff, and if the detector goes off start pulling things out slowly.  If you annoy the people working enough they'll get frustrated and just let you through (most of the time).
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline DAT grl

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2004, 02:16:57 PM »
confidence is key.

This can't be stated enough.  If you're nervous at all they'll probably know something's up.  You have to stay cool.

Yeah, cojones are key.  I will never forget this story for creative thinking on the spot!:

In going to the show, to be honest, I really didn't expect any type of security search.  In times past, security has been relatively lax (at least in my opinion....no worries though).  On with the story...

When the security dude felt the nbox in the back pocket, he asked me what it was.  Then he kept searching, and found the ad20 clipped to my belt.

I explained to him that the ad20 was a special diabetic machine that keeps me alive, and that the nbox was the powersupply for it.  Which in turn feeds into my torso.

So the dude looks at me, and i don't think he's buying it.  So he asks to see where it feeds into my torso.  I tell him i can't because its infected and puss is oozing out, and that i would feel embarrased to show him right then and there.

so he sends me over to head of security for the line, and without showing him anything (gear) and just explaining myself, he was cool, and sent me in.

8)

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2004, 03:11:09 PM »
i knew a guy once that had a little setup like that. he was extremely diabetic and had to have an electronic device administer insulin all the time. he got really loony sometimes when it messed up

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2004, 01:19:15 AM »
Well luckily I am aware that security guards are not cops...and I'm way too cocky with cops even.  So I'm getting in and making my recording.  Poker faces do come in handy away from the table.  Also what I have found is that the metal detectors can't determine what you're carrying.  They just vibrate if any sort of metal is detected.  I'll let you guys know how it goes tommorow.  Thanks for all the tips.

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2004, 02:39:44 AM »
Well I went to the show....When I went in to get my ticket reserved at the box office nearly 2 hours before showtime the security wouldn't let me go back outside.  So unfortunately my gear stayed in my car well I got to watch the show.  Oh well.. I shall strike again.  It would've been reallllly easy getting the gear in though, the security with the wands had em so sensitive that they went off from the zippers on the pants.  Better luck to me next time.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 49 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com