Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help with stealth soundboards!  (Read 22791 times)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
Re: Help with stealth soundboards!
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2004, 03:37:04 PM »
... kinda hard to figure out where that fine line is..

It's really not hard to figure out where the line is.  When you tap into someone else's equipment without permission, that is across the line of acceptability.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2004, 03:43:46 PM »
Ditto. A local venue here in Boston stopped allowing SBDs even for taper-friendly acts after one guy blew out the house system by plugging in without permission. Not cool at all.

if your talking about harpers ferry, permission was granted. we dont know what the fuck happened but we think DC was getting sent some how to the board somehow. probably through a short.

Oops...my mistake. I tried to find the thread on here but couldn't come up with it. Sorry 'bout that.
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

urobouros

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2004, 04:27:58 PM »
buddy up to the local soundguys, and more often than not they'll hook you up with a patch even if the band doesn't allow board patches... drop them off some cdrs of other shows you've taped. They like that gesture. And its a lot better to have them plug your ass in than doing it yourself!!! Maybe if they show you, where, etc.. but to do it on your own... I'd be very hesitant.

One of my close friends is a sound engineer and she hooks up patchers all the time if they ask nicely and promise to hook her up with a copy.  She will and has, however, beat the living shit out of some one trying to patch without asking her. 

Offline redseed

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Word to all of the business ladies!
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2004, 06:01:30 PM »
buddy up to the local soundguys, and more often than not they'll hook you up with a patch even if the band doesn't allow board patches... drop them off some cdrs of other shows you've taped. They like that gesture. And its a lot better to have them plug your ass in than doing it yourself!!! Maybe if they show you, where, etc.. but to do it on your own... I'd be very hesitant.

One of my close friends is a sound engineer and she hooks up patchers all the time if they ask nicely and promise to hook her up with a copy.  She will and has, however, beat the living shit out of some one trying to patch without asking her. 

haha! Sounds like one tough cunt!

Offline Tall Adam

• The Artist Formerly Known as GQJSP
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2004, 06:05:15 PM »

wow man, youre doin great makin friends around here. im sure our few female members would LOVE that comment.

Offline redseed

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2004, 06:20:16 PM »
It's apparent from the fact that you would post to this board and be so desperatley in need of advice that you haven't got a clue what you're doing.

One option  is to learn the make and model of the boards you're interested in and learn your self, good luck with that ::)

The best advice you've gotten is to cozy up with some local soundguys.

If you try this without permision you're a greedy jack-ass in my book and you deserve the ass-kicking that  you're bound to recieve.

Actually, I did study the user guide of the Soundcraft 200b and that's how I figured out that I need to plug into the CR outs. Like I said before, I never would have plugged in randomly trying to get a feed, and no harm can be done by plugging the correct cables into a line out. The chances of that blowing the system are about 1 in a million. I just figured it would be easier to ask you guys before I spent hours researching. And no, the feed doesn't need to be turned on. That's only if it's one of the aux outs. I'm in a band, so I am buddies with some soundguys around town, and most times I do ask. It's really not that tough to stealth though. Sbs at smaller venues are very accessible.
And for all of the people who think SBs suck, think again. You've got to pick your performer. If it's a band with huge, loud amps you probably won't get a good board tape (due to the mix, obviously)...but if shit is quiet and baffled properly, or you have an acoustic performer you can get some amazing recordings off of the board. I got a STUNNING Wide Mouth Mason stealth SB this summer that I completely treasure, and no, I haven't traded it, never mind sold it. There are no other tapers in this town, so don't you guys worry about me ruining it for others either.

Ever hear of live and let live boys?

Offline Tall Adam

• The Artist Formerly Known as GQJSP
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2004, 06:26:56 PM »
Ever hear of live and let live boys?

no but i did once hear a song called "live and let die"

ok im done with this post. whatever man, you clearly dont get what were trying to say here.

urobouros

« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2004, 06:32:37 PM »

Built like a line-backer and tougher than nails.  She's not the typof person you want to fuck with.

There are no other tapers in this town, so don't you guys worry about me ruining it for others either.

Unless you're taping local bands, you stand an extremely good chance of ruining open taping of currently taper-friendly bands.

Ultimatley, you strike me as George Bush-esque.  You don't seem to give two shits what anyone else thinks or consider that your idea of right and wrong might be a little skewed.  

Offline moewu4u

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2004, 06:47:19 PM »

Built like a line-backer and tougher than nails.  She's not the typof person you want to fuck with.

Ultimatley, you strike me as George Bush-esque.  You don't seem to give two shits what anyone else thinks or consider that your idea of right and wrong might be a little skewed.  

+T for using "Bush-esque" in a sentence. And yes, this does sound like a very crappy idea.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 06:51:12 PM by moewu4u »

Offline redseed

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2004, 06:48:25 PM »
NOOOOO!!!
I'm not like Bush!!!!!!!!!!!

I never said I was doing the RIGHT thing, just that the chances of fucking something up are extremely minimal. And yeah, it's a local band.

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2004, 06:56:24 PM »
if its a local band why dont you get permission from said band or make good w/ the soundman. i tried to offer help in my 1st post by pointing you in the right direction. i did this once in a bar i worked at and new the soundguy really well and he helped me do it.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline redseed

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2004, 07:08:53 PM »
Well, I know they're recording a live album, so I think they may be against it, although they're very cool guys, acquainances of my band's from way back.
Trust me guys, no worries.

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2004, 07:19:23 PM »
THEN JUST BUY THE FUCKIN ALBUM AND SUPPORT THEM!
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline redseed

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2004, 07:23:02 PM »
Of course I will! I go to all of the shows, and have their 3 CDs! I'll buy their live album just like all of the rest!

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2004, 07:24:21 PM »
The control room feed has a separate volume control, often labled "monitor".  This is a studio board that is being used in live sound applications.  The control room out is used to send a mix to the control room in a studio. It has a seperate volume control for that send so that the volume can be adjusted to keep from overloading the preamp for the studio monitors. So you are at the mercy of the FOH anyway.  What your doing is a dick move and I can honestly say that if I were the FOH and caught you at it I would either A) just take your shit and put it outside on the sidewalk B) "accidently" step on the clothing it was concealed in while checking the back of the board or C) wait till the end of the show and as I saw someone walking up to retrieve said item go ahead and go through with choice B.  But as has been pointed out here you just dont get it. The fact that the band may be recording for a release just compounds it.  Your shady behavior most likely reflects your overall moral outlook.... :-[
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com