Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: My JB3 recording sounds really low, can barely hear it...  (Read 9506 times)

Offline dhora

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: My JB3 recording sounds really low, can barely hear it...
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2005, 04:32:59 PM »
I finally got a chance to test out my mics/jb3 in the field. The levels were fine.  I ended up running my jb3 at +2db and had pretty good levels.  Had to normalize a little in post, but not nearly as much as I did when I was trying to test my rig at home.
AT853h,o, AT831c > AT831 (SP-CMC-2) > SP-SPSB-1 > JB3
Shows on the Archive: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Dave%20Hora%22

Offline Howid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Bounce With Me...
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2005, 09:00:20 PM »
I taped about 2 hours, still have to pull it to my computer and mess with it with Sound Forge. From my headphones, the sound is pretty low (at +12 DB!) but I think when I use Sound Forge to normalize, I may be suprised.
Giant Squid Cardioids > JB3

Offline Howid

• Taperssection Regular
  • Bounce With Me...
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2005, 12:02:10 PM »
ok, I took down the test show from my JB3 and made a couple wav smaplers for the experts to hear. Any help or suggestions would be great.

This was recorded at a local bar/ restaurant about 10-12 feet from the band right in the middle. I used a camcorder case (used to transport my jb3) as a mic stand on the table we sat at. The mics were about 6 inches apart and turned to the left and to the right (they sat like this  \  /  ).

I used the Giant Squid Cardioids and my JB3 with the gain turned up to +12dB like was suggested. These two samples are one raw and one that I normalized in Sound Forge 7.

Here are the links... (they were too big to attach to the board, so I uploaded them to my server).

http://www.bdlab.com/sampler_12db_raw.wav

http://www.bdlab.com/sampler_12db_normalized.wav

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks for helping me get this far!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2005, 12:05:11 PM by Howid »
Giant Squid Cardioids > JB3

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2005, 03:49:16 PM »
What kind of feedback are you after?  The immediate thing that jumps out is the lack of bottom end.  Things really drop off below ~150 Hz.  This is probably just the sound of the cardiod capsules in use.  Giant Squid says the specs are +/- 4dB from 100Hz - 12k.  You might want to do some eq'g to get that sounding reasonable.  To be honest, I wouldn't really consider that a 'music recording' capsule. 

As far as using a preamp goes, you had about 9 dB of room on the raw file with the JB3 at +12 dB so you'd do fine with a preamp  providing ~20dB of gain.  But if you're going to spend some money making things sound better those mics should probably go first.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com