Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Good rig for bad rooms?  (Read 9127 times)

Offline Evil Taper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
Good rig for bad rooms?
« on: September 13, 2005, 04:49:15 AM »
I'm considering putting together a mid-upper level rig for open taping mostly in rooms with bad acoustics.  Would just like some suggestions of mics that perform better than average in unforgiving circumstances or some mic>power/processing combos that might be good for this environment.  Lets stamp the budget at around $850 total (assuming I can get a good deal on new or used gear).  I'd mostly be using these for taping local jazz acts or the bassy open acts like Pfunk or Claypool.  Should I just invest in more processing for my 4061 to excell in an open taping situation and forget about getting some high end cards altogether?  Lets assume I have an oade sbm-1 already.  Thanks for any opinions but please try to not be a fluffy fanboy. 8)
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
Re: Good rig for bad rooms?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 05:22:33 AM »
Probably looking at some C4s/modUA-5.  Or C4s/MP-2, MV100, PSP2 or Sonosax.  Those C4s sound alright but not made durably like AKGs.  Evil, whatever you do, think about what you are probably gonna do after you want to upgrade again.  I think AKG 480s sound good in shitty rooms.  But you gotta buck up a bit more and still get the pre.  Too bad you didn't jump all over that Denecke PS-2 AD-20 combo that was sold in about ten mintues for $200 by Gloco.  Some people are too cool with getting rid of gear...others are expecting too much for their used gear.  Be picky, and bargain.

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 05:47:51 AM »
C4s are too entry level for me though, I'd just end up reselling those things in a month or two.  I'm thinking more on the lines of mics that are approaching Neumann/MBHO/Schoepps quality.  I'd possibly consider some of those Pelussos but I have yet to hear what they actually sound like.  I guess the budget is determined by what's necessary.  Shotguns possibly worth consideration?

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 08:07:57 AM »
AKG 483s DIN
sounds good in any room.  even outside.
:)

the Peluso's wouldnt be bad either.  card/hyper caps would probably work well.  the cards sound fantastic.

if you want to hear what the hypers sound like, look for "peluso" on archive.  ive' got an SKB show up there from 6-17-05 where the room sounded good..but was full of chatty ass people.  a poor taping environment for sure.  but the recording doesnt' reflect it that much.
that was the hyper cap.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 08:09:45 AM by Nick's Picks »

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 08:48:28 AM »
Cool shit, I'll check out some pelusso tapes.  For the price point I don't know if they can be matched.

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 09:15:18 AM »
Evil,
the other side of my shotgun diatribe NOTwithstanding, I do not feel shotguns are an ideal solution for bad rooms.  they work sometimes to reduce chattiness and enhance vocals like I said in that post, but most ugly sounding rooms will still sound ugly with guns.  hypers do tend to make the best out of a bad situation.  IMO, Neumanns will usually not help any in a bad room, but I am not a fan of the Neumann sound.

music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 09:35:07 AM »
my thought on this would be to go with mics that allow for switching caps or pickup patterns. That way you can respond to the shittyness of a room with more than just the mic positioning.  I guess that would include a ton of possibilities depending on budget, running from the AT line (good if you want miniature as well) to the Neumanns.   I really like the sound of Scheops 641's in a less-than-perfect venue, but that's probably way out of your budget.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 09:37:37 AM by Unitmonster »
AT853rx (c,sc,o)> Fostex FR2-LE (Busman T-Mod)

marc0789

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 09:50:38 AM »
I'm considering putting together a mid-upper level rig for open taping mostly in rooms with bad acoustics.  Would just like some suggestions of mics that perform better than average in unforgiving circumstances or some mic>power/processing combos that might be good for this environment.  Lets stamp the budget at around $850 total (assuming I can get a good deal on new or used gear).  I'd mostly be using these for taping local jazz acts or the bassy open acts like Pfunk or Claypool.  Should I just invest in more processing for my 4061 to excell in an open taping situation and forget about getting some high end cards altogether?  Lets assume I have an oade sbm-1 already.  Thanks for any opinions but please try to not be a fluffy fanboy. 8)

adk a51's TL>phantom power source>modsbm1. probably round that stuff up for $700 bills used, another $150 for 15' cables, used stand and shocks. that way you get the hypers for real crappy rooms, but the cards are real forgiving too. Can't come close to the quality of the TL's in the $625-650 used range. The only thing close would probably be a pair of 393's or mg 300's, can't go too wrong there either.

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 10:08:02 AM »

definately not 850 ..but if you can get the $$ check out pearl elm-c.

>:D >:D

Ray76

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 10:47:04 AM »

you come up with some of the most off the wall names for stuff that ive ever heard. :) where do you hear about these mics???can you get them in the US?? ;D

Ray76

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2005, 10:49:41 AM »

Well....I think my 4050s sound really great in bad rooms...i can send you a sample too. and they are pretty clean..which you like. 3 pattern, LD mics...800 bucks for a pair on ebay. audio technica 4050s.

two recordings i made with them were in rooms that sounded like echo chambers...and full of loud people...you wouldnt know it..pm me your email address. ill send you samples.

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2005, 10:50:28 AM »

Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Ray76

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2005, 10:56:58 AM »

what are those for???us company?

charactaristisc??pzm mic?

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2005, 11:04:22 AM »
agree with Marc, the MG300s if you can find them are easily the best sounding sub $1000 a pair mic imo...used they go for around $600 and they sound fantastic

Offline SuperDave

• Now that's a mandolin!
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2005, 11:47:21 AM »

Well....I think my 4050s sound really great in bad rooms...i can send you a sample too. and they are pretty clean..which you like. 3 pattern, LD mics...800 bucks for a pair on ebay. audio technica 4050s.

two recordings i made with them were in rooms that sounded like echo chambers...and full of loud people...you wouldnt know it..pm me your email address. ill send you samples.
What pre do you like to pair the AT's with Ray?  A warmer pre? 
I'm gonna go put my spacesuit on boys, then lets get this dirty cocksucker in the air! ...

Open Rig: ADK A-51 TL's > Oade Warm Mod UA-5 > Iriver H120/JB3
Stealth Rig: AT853 > SP-SPSB-10 > Iriver h120

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.123 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com