Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Some Newbie Questions (been reading the fourms for awhile)  (Read 2344 times)

Offline lowsparked

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • ***Just listen to the music play***
Some Newbie Questions (been reading the fourms for awhile)
« on: October 24, 2005, 09:43:07 PM »
So I have been kind of hesitant to ask some questions before I did some research but as most of you know at the start this stuff is a little mind blowing.  So this is what I have on my mind... I have spare p4 dell with 512 so I am going to try and set up a decent rig to take to shows with me.  Here are the questions I have so far staring what the preamp (for the gain right) I have been reading up on the u-5 and the e ap1000.  Any pros and cons for either of these that I may not have heard about... what is the world clock deal wiht the ap1000? So one of these will take care of my pre-amp.  So then how in the hell do you choose a mic?  I have shows with most of the mic's I see here and chatted abut (akg’s and neaumans) but how do your really choose what to get?  Then how tall of a mic stand do you need? I was looking at the manfrotto stands and was looking at the 13' one but it was $125.  Do I really need a $125 stand? I think not but I don't want to go cheap right off the bat and then in a year or so have to get a better piece of the rig.  Ok last is the cables....  laptop to pre amp?????  Mic to pre amp???? And am I missing anything? Thanks for your help and I hope to give back to this community some how in the future!
Thanks
low
I have a message to deliver to the cute people of the world...if you're cute, or maybe you're beautiful...there's MORE OF US UGLY MOTHERFUCKERS OUT THERE THAN YOU ARE!! So watch out.
“Frank Zappa”

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Some Newbie Questions (been reading the fourms for awhile)
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 09:57:33 PM »
The word clock going bad in the Apogee AD1000 results in a non-functioning ADC, i.e. the unit can no longer perform the functions you want it to perform.  These units are no longer supported by Apogee, nor anyone else since Apogee refuses to provide schematics to third parties.  They're a huge gamble, one from which I personally would stay away.

Defining a budget for your gear (total budget, or $X for preamp/ADC and $Y for mics) will help members make appropriate recommendations.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline lowsparked

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 10:05:13 PM »
I am thinking laptop + $1,000... so as for as the preamp would you stay with the u-5?
I have a message to deliver to the cute people of the world...if you're cute, or maybe you're beautiful...there's MORE OF US UGLY MOTHERFUCKERS OUT THERE THAN YOU ARE!! So watch out.
“Frank Zappa”

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 12:17:12 AM »
really good air cushioned stands can be had thru ebay for less then 30.  a lot of peeps here use them.  ua-5 is a really good beginner box (i got one too) but are not available new anymore (or are hard to find NIB).  that should get you started.  since you are going to use your lappy, you can dump about 5-650 in mics (after paying for the ua-5, stand, xlr cables (~$50+), random other shit like interconnects and shockmounts and a gear bag will run you another benji or so)... there are a lot of choices in that price range... even more if you go used.  audix micros 1290 are a cool little mic (and there are some in the yardsale now), josephine c42, akg 390's, dpa 4060, oktavia, peluso cmec are all fine examples of this mid pricepoint.  that being said, there are several other very good mics for less money too... as long as you are aware that my $200 at853's are not going to sound like $2500 scheops, they are still going to pull consistantly good tapes and are extremely affordable.

good luck
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 01:05:43 AM »
Here is a brief list of things you will need

1. Laptop power.  Extra batteries, n-charge valence, etc.
2. Recording software.  Wavelab, etc.
3. Interface (optional depending on setup).  Vx pocket 2 or vx pocket 440.  If you decide to use a pre that can't interface with your laptop you will need to buy something that will help it interface.
4. Preamp/ ADC.  Apogee minime will interface with your laptop, Sound devices USb pre will too, there are others
5. Mics.  Budget will be the biggest decision maker. 
6. Stand, cables, shock mounts, back pack/case, power

Here are some sample rigs around a 1000 budget
Adk tls 600
USb pre 300
Misc items 100

Akg 391 400
Wmod UA5 400
Misc 100
Vx pocket 2 150
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline lowsparked

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 07:39:36 AM »
3. Interface (optional depending on setup).  Vx pocket 2 or vx pocket 440.  If you decide to use a pre that can't interface with your laptop you will need to buy something that will help it interface.

Not to sure what you mean by interface? and what goies into the decison to use a pre or not to use a pre..... thanks ton!!
low
“Frank Zappa”

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 09:22:23 AM »
Some pres will automatically hookup to your computer (ie a usb cable).  Most pres won't automatically hookup to your computer, so you need to buy something else.  I am using the term interface, there might be a better term.  So if you find a good pre that you want, you might have to shell out some cash to make it work.

Personaly story, I had to buy a vx pocket 2 in order to use my laptop. 
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 09:48:19 AM »
Not to sure what you mean by interface?

Interface = the way in which you connect your gear outside of your laptop, to your laptop.  The VX Pocket's are examples of that interfaces.  There are three primary interfaces you may use, generically speaking:

[1]  mics > preamp > laptop interface (including ADC) > laptop
In this case, the ADC process takes place within the interface itself.  I believe both the VX Pocket's support this capability.  Ideally, however, we want the ADC to take place before the interface.

[2]  mics > preamp > ADC > laptop interface > laptop
Here, the analog-to-digital conversion takes place outside of the interface and laptop - exactly what we want to happen.  I believe both VX Pocket's will receive a digital signal from the ADC and pass it into the laptop.  If the external ADC does not include a USB output, then this type of interface is required.

[3]  mics > preamp > ADC > laptop (using built-in interface)
Alternatively, some ADC's may take advantage of the built-in interfaces in the laptop, the most common of which are USB or Firewire.  For example, the Edirol UA-5 may output its digital signal via USB, in which case you don't need a VX Pocket.

and what goies into the decison to use a pre or not to use a pre..... thanks ton!!

Per the Getting Started thread (if you haven't read it yet, please do), we generally require gain to amplify the signal level produced by the microphones.  Preamps are one way of adding gain.  If you don't use a preamp, you need an altnernative way of adding gain.  The best alternative to a preamp for gain:  line transformers.  However, most preamps provide functions other than simply gain, mainly phantom power for the microphones.  Line transformers do not.  So while line transformers are less expensive for gain, you still need to purchase a phantom power source for the mics.
Roland R-05

Offline lowsparked

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 10:02:31 PM »
just slaped down a bid on this ua-5
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7360862863

now to read up on the pre's.  any suggestions?
low
“Frank Zappa”

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2005, 10:10:05 PM »
just slaped down a bid on this ua-5
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7360862863

now to read up on the pre's.  any suggestions?

Well, if you win the bid, the UA5 *is* a pre (as well as an ADC), so...don't bother with second!
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com