Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Fluckin' Flac!!!!  (Read 9418 times)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
Re: Fluckin' Flac!!!!
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2005, 04:25:01 PM »
I tried that, but typically I do use setting 8...never had any problems till recently.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2005, 04:26:28 PM »
I updated my windows this morning as well before I posted this thread.

can you elaborate on this comment Matt?  windows update, i presume?

also, have you tried uninstalling/reinstall the FLAC or Shorten program? 
just a thought.
yes to all...
I've also been having problems with mozilla crashing on me too... I'm starting to think this is my drive... checkdisk is done, I'm going to start a defrag now and see if that helps.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline kgreener

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2005, 04:36:03 PM »
another thought: try running flac/shorten in safe mode and see how it responds.  could help eliminate whether spyware/virus is causing you problems.

F8 on bootup

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2005, 04:38:56 PM »
another thought: try running flac/shorten in safe mode and see how it responds.  could help eliminate whether spyware/virus is causing you problems.

F8 on bootup
T to you sir... hadn't thought about that one yet... actually t's to the thread guys!  Thanks for all the help.

Matt

sml42

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2005, 04:48:30 PM »
Matt,

Sounds like bad memory to me. When copying data around it gets copied via your RAM. When you're running flac w/verify, it's verifying as it goes, so I'd guess whatever is being verified is still in cache... as soon as it hits RAM you lose.

The error message, "bad crc" would tend to indicate it is NOT a hard drive failing... you'd expect to see disk I/O errors if that were the case. And your disc would be thrashing a lot, making weird noises. I just had a hard drive fail on me earlier this week, it made some horrible noises and brought the computer down with it (but hey, the swapfile was on that drive :D ).

It COULD also be your cpu overheating. Make sure the fan isn't obstructed, and the heatsink is seated properly. Add more heatsink compound (the white goop) is needed. After I removed my dead hard drive, I managed to jam my fan, and had exactly this sort of failure.

Are you overclocking? If so, try running at the correct speed. Are you memory timings set too fast? Be more conservative. Run a memory tester (memtest86?).

Good luck, and hope you figure it out soon!

best regards,
stephen

Edit to add: you can safely abort defrag while its running, that's not the problem.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 04:50:07 PM by sml420 »

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2005, 05:00:06 PM »
Matt,

Sounds like bad memory to me. When copying data around it gets copied via your RAM. When you're running flac w/verify, it's verifying as it goes, so I'd guess whatever is being verified is still in cache... as soon as it hits RAM you lose.

The error message, "bad crc" would tend to indicate it is NOT a hard drive failing... you'd expect to see disk I/O errors if that were the case. And your disc would be thrashing a lot, making weird noises. I just had a hard drive fail on me earlier this week, it made some horrible noises and brought the computer down with it (but hey, the swapfile was on that drive :D ).

It COULD also be your cpu overheating. Make sure the fan isn't obstructed, and the heatsink is seated properly. Add more heatsink compound (the white goop) is needed. After I removed my dead hard drive, I managed to jam my fan, and had exactly this sort of failure.

Are you overclocking? If so, try running at the correct speed. Are you memory timings set too fast? Be more conservative. Run a memory tester (memtest86?).

Good luck, and hope you figure it out soon!

best regards,
stephen

Edit to add: you can safely abort defrag while its running, that's not the problem.
good stuff stephen... I know nothing of the things you just mentioned.  I didn't add any white goop when I moved the cpu from one motherboard to the other.  I don't know much about computer building,I was sort of winging it.  I have no idea how to overclock so unless that defaulted I'm not doing that.  Memory or cpu cooling are starting to sound like good things to check at this point... memory came from one motherboard to the other with the cpu... I will check that stuff out.  Thanks and +T

Matt

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2005, 06:13:07 PM »
does anyone know how memtest86 works?  so far I have a blue screen with a title and nothing hapening for about 15 minutes  no indication that it is working and it won't take any input from my keyboard.

Matt

*edit*  I just hit my 2000th post... I feel so old! 

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2005, 06:14:54 PM »
did you put it on a floppy ???

im running it now for the hell of it, hopefully i'll be right back ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2005, 06:18:56 PM »
I don't have a floppy on my machine so I did it as a bootable cd.
let me know how it goes, but I'm running late for a little bbq smoker event that I deperately need after all this shit today.  I may not be back till tomorrow.
Thanks bean
Matt

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2005, 06:21:48 PM »
scratch that... just threw it in the lappy and it is working fine ???

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2005, 07:50:03 PM »
I have a PC which has a DMA data corruption problem when writing to disks on the internal IDE ports.  Basically, if you copy 50 gigs of flac to it, approx 4 or 5 files will be corrupted.  I couldn't fix it via drivers, etc, and ended up installing a promise ATA controller and not using the built-in ports.

Silent data corruption.  Fear it!

It takes a Lot more time to completely verify files after they are copied. I use rsync under linux. I don't know how good the windows version is.

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2005, 08:07:46 PM »
Sorry, just have to say this.... And people wonder why I recommend Macs over Wintel computers...

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline smokydays

• Taperssection Member
  • I Hunger
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2005, 09:27:11 PM »
FWIW, I would be willing to bet you have some bad ram in this case too.  I have had that bite me on an older machine.  Ram upgrade, everything was fine.
Still Missing Woody...

"Time to discover, what's really really really right.  Instead of what makes us feel strong."
-- About To Rage, Gov't Mule

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2005, 10:56:38 PM »
mmmatt - I've had the EXACT same problems as you. I had 2 hard drives in my machine, one with my program files (C:) and another huge drive that I was using just for storage (D:) - I did a reformat of C:, and all of the sudden, many of my flac files would not decode - both on D: and on CDs and DVDs I burned.   I've given up on trying to fix them, and have sworn off flac becuase of it.

I think my issue was a drive corruption - after the reformat, I made a new directory on D: that was all of the .wavs from old flacs that I could actually decode, and they were all being saved. The resultant .wavs coud be played in several audio programs.  I got Nero, and tried to burn the .wavs onto a DVD, and the directory was corrupt. When I clicked on the directory, it gave me a message that the directory was incomplete or corrupt - and this was not flacss, but wavs.  I don't know if my reformat of c: caused the corruption on d:  - unlikely b/c they are physcally different drives.... or if it was just coincidence....

I've had several discussions with freelunch and a couple w/ MikeW, and done hella searches online, and nothing has worked.  I searched the exact error text online, and most resolutions were achieved through re-downloading the original flac files, indicating a partial copy of the flac.  I've since started using a prog called "copy large files" to move the wavs around, per advice from Freelunch about losing data when copying - he uses rsync, but I suck at command line stuff, so I needed something with a nice interface. 

It really sucks, but I'd bet money that your drive is dying.  Exactly the same issues I had.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure if you'll be able to recover your FLACs.   As much as I liked flac, I'm done with it.  At least with some other file format, the audio would be somewhat salvagable.

sorry bout your luck dude.... I was there... I'm still there.... just had to come to grips with losing all kinds of stuff I considered rather valuable.  'twas my first hd failure.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 11:10:15 PM by Whipper-Snapper »
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2005, 11:35:11 PM »
you guys are really making me nervous. i have 100's of dvd's in flac. i had this happen to me w/ shn, and swore those off. fuck.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com