Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What gear bags do people use ??  (Read 3467 times)

spearheadtaper

• Trade Count: (0)
What gear bags do people use ??
« on: January 19, 2006, 04:03:28 PM »
did a search and didn't come up with any threads on it ?? is there one.... would be nice to know all the options......

I already have this patagonia bag I am thinking about just using and maybe modding abit ...... but might be nice to have something just for gear
http://www.patagonia.com/za/PDC?OPTION=PRODUCT&merchant_rn=7385&sku=48271&ws=false
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 12:18:07 AM by spearheadtaper »

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
Re: got mics ! Need help finishing out the rig.....
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 04:11:36 PM »
height:  head height (unlikely you'll be allowed higher if you're really FOB)
configuration:  whatever works
power:  Walmart battery for the UA5; whatever you can find really.
cable:  whatever you can afford.  if you believe some cable is better than others, then choose that way.  many pros say cable is cable.  many people here say silver is better.  base it on your budget.  if you don't have a decent playback system you won't hear a difference anyway.

Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 04:19:34 PM »
...people that run neumanns how high a stand should I go with ???  most is not all of my taping will be FOB at festivals

This is not Neumann-specific.  It depends on the situation, but I generally run head height or slightly higher.  I rarely run above 7'-8', and if FOB often keep it at just over 6'.   

also what kinda setup does everyone use for mic configurations .... mount where to get....

Mic configs:  see the Mic Configs forum sticky about, well...mic configs.  Try 'em all - as well as your own - and see which you like.

also what kind of power supply do I need to buy to be able to power everything for around six hours a day at a festival ?  experiences?  something that works great where to get ?

The Walmart DVD battery TNJazz mentioned is available online or in stores, often rebranded by Memorex, Walmart, Lenmar, and others.  Search the Remote Power forum for keywords UA5, DVD, Walmart, Li-ion.  Lots of info and people reporting direct experiences.

what brand of cables do I need to connect the mics to the UA-5 and the UA-5 to the JB3

Depends on your budget.  If making your own, check the Archive and/or Cable forums for keywords DIY, mic, cables.  Also check out taper-friendly online retailers for cables that fit your budget.

and then I will need soundboard patching cables for the  sbd to the UA-5.....I saw in the "sbd patching thread" there was a picture of some cools ones that someone made..  does anyone know who that was or anyone that makes cables make sort of a kit of everything needed so I can matrix when the board patch is offered

Maybe contact the person who posted the picture?  You can buy the appropriate cables from most online retailers or local musicians gear shops.  Check the Archive forum for a list of commonly used taper-friendly retailers.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

spearheadtaper

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 04:28:15 PM »
cool so the 3333 should work.... I guess my really question on the configs was what kinda mounts do people use ..... what brand.... couldn't find anything relating at b+h while looking around there website

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 04:36:46 PM »
cool so the 3333 should work.... I guess my really question on the configs was what kinda mounts do people use ..... what brand.... couldn't find anything relating at b+h while looking around there website

I think any of the popular stereo bars should work.  I bought the $20 AKG stereo bar from B+H for my mics.  Should work for yours as well.  The part about mounting your mics that is brand/model specific is the shock mounts.  Look in the archive threads on shock mounts to find out which ones work with your particular mics.

kskreider

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 04:38:21 PM »
Stand: If you are going FOB I recommend getting a Bogen 3373.  It goes 7' max and is small and light.  Pull the plastic feet off each leg and saw a couple inches off each one.  Then Crazy Glue the feet back on.  Smaller footprint and folds up nicer.  Make sure that if your vendor of choosing only carries the one without a threaded tip to get the Bogen Quick-Release adapter as well.

For JB3 power I use a battery pack made for digicams that throws out 5v and lasts for about 6-7 hours steady.  If you need to power both the UA5 and the JB3 you should get a Wally 9v and a power regulator/splitter that will power both.  Todd-R makes the JuiceBox which has been gaining popularity around here.  Even moreso since Marc went MIA.

For mounts I just use the ones supplied with my skm kit, ORTF and X/Y.  I find that since I mostly tape indoors and/or on-stage I do X/Y more than anything.

my $.02

Offline chucky

• Taperssection Member
  • Hookd on cronics
Re: What gear bags do people use ??
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 01:48:41 AM »
I would also go with a smaller stand if you usually run FOB.

The 3333 is 9 ft I believe and ?silver only? I think.
With the silver stand its easier to see for venue security when lights hit it,
but also easier to see for spun wooks that may just plow through your black stand that they can't see.
 I use a black stand and put a glowring (which are usually on the floor anyway) around the two legs that sticks out, the third leg goes between my legs, and I put my gearbag between the other 2 legs as to not make a big hole in the audience with a stand poppin out. Also you could put a black cloth over your mics.

Also, the 3333 is pretty fat, and a bit more of a pain to carry all day.
With the 3373 you can just tie it to your gearbag or backpack.
The 3333 also has a big footprint, but it's much more sturdy.

For a bag, I love my Lowepro Nova 5, as most do, but the UA5 can fit in a Nova 3.
I like to have the extra room because I don't have a car, and only use public transportation.
My bud Shaggy uses a Nova 3 with a UA5. I'll dig up a pic.

Offline chucky

• Taperssection Member
  • Hookd on cronics
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 01:51:07 AM »
Here ya go, heres a pic of the Nova 5/3 side by side.
As you can see the UA5 fits perfectly in the Nova 3.

spearheadtaper

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 01:54:16 AM »
Here ya go, heres a pic of the Nova 5/3 side by side.
As you can see the UA5 fits perfectly in the Nova 3.

thanks !  just what I was looking for  :D

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 03:05:56 AM »
I use and love the nova5.  lots of room for everything.

shutterfly is down or I would post a pic.  I'll post one tomorrow.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline wsphansam

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My trading list.
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2006, 03:30:48 AM »
I use a big fishing tacklebag that I got at Wal-Mart for about 20 bucks. It's big, lots of pockets perfect for taping.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/wsphansam

Team Kansasouri, Southern Office
Team Texas

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2006, 08:51:24 AM »
For it's back saving capacity and ease of setup I recommend the Targus Rakgear series. I have the deluxe notebook model.
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

kskreider

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2006, 09:07:16 AM »
I found this Mountainsmith Roadrunner on discount at REI-Outlet for something like $30

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2006, 01:46:54 PM »
For it's back saving capacity and ease of setup I recommend the Targus Rakgear series. I have the deluxe notebook model.

I had one but it was too much.  too much free space etc.  here are pics of my nova 5. 

front pocket holds lots of stuff.

my 480's in their home.  need to make something similar for my 184's.

Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com