Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: what could I upgrade to for better sound?  (Read 1608 times)

Offline chong138

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
what could I upgrade to for better sound?
« on: January 23, 2006, 06:05:43 PM »
I currently use a M-1 DAT and Core Sound High End Binaural mics with a battery box.  It sounds pretty good...but I wouldn't mind getting an even better sound on my recordings.  I see lots of talk about Analog - Digital converters on here and I'm not sure how much of a difference one would make.  I only record metal/punk shows in clubs and It is ONLY stealth. 

So for the money...what would improve the sound on my recordings more?  A-D converter or new mics?
As I said, I ONLY stealth so what kind of mic is a good step up from what I'm using and is still very stealthable?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: what could I upgrade to for better sound?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 06:13:59 PM »
DPA 406x / CS-HEB > batt box > M1 is a kick-ass stealth setup.  Upgrading the mics will have the single biggest impact on your sound.  Unfortunately, in the strictly stealth arena, there aren't alot of options close to the DPA 406x / CS-HEB price point. 

First things first:  What's your budget?  And what, exactly, would you like to improve in your sound?  Or, put the opposite way, what about your recordings don't you like? 
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 06:15:05 PM »
Is there a better stealth mic than DPA4061s? Maybe some Schoeps with actives, but they're a lot bulkier than your mics. I suppose you could always borrow some AT853s to see if you like the sound better. No experience of external A>Ds so someone else chime in here pls.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline chong138

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 06:52:37 PM »
DPA 406x / CS-HEB > batt box > M1 is a kick-ass stealth setup.  Upgrading the mics will have the single biggest impact on your sound.  Unfortunately, in the strictly stealth arena, there aren't alot of options close to the DPA 406x / CS-HEB price point. 

First things first:  What's your budget?  And what, exactly, would you like to improve in your sound?  Or, put the opposite way, what about your recordings don't you like? 

I think the DPA's pick up the low end more accurately than mid and high end sounds.  I made a quick clip of three different shows if you wanna gimme your opinion about the sound.  I've edited out some bass and brought up mids and highs though...so these aren't straight off my tape.
http://s25.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2I5B7RD77WZ8D1CYJTLZ7FN66Q

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 09:38:45 PM »
first things that came to my mind was a R1 or Microtrack.  24bit  ;)

AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com