Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: busted recording at a show--what should I do?  (Read 14641 times)

Offline Aaron41

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Quack
Re: busted recording at a show--what should I do?
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2006, 03:29:18 AM »
Don't sweat the photo or the name and address thing.  Scare tactics.  All about power tripping.  The only thing that sucks is they have an idea what a R1 and the DPA4061 look like.  You were doing your stealthy best (and with gear that is really hard to see), I am suprised to see they popped you, unless you were trying to read levels or fiddling with something.  Just being still, is not enough....that means they were looking at you for while....something drew them to you before they noticed you having a very stiff neck.

Can you tell us exactly what you were doing?  Where you were standing, if there were lights on you, the type of hat you were wearing, all little details would help the next set of people avoid getting popped...including yourself.

And always remember, they cannot take your gear away...including your flash card.  I would, in the future...keep a shitty 8MB card to give to them when you do the slight of hand popping your real card out.  Give them that. and walk away with a recording....

I was wondering many of the same things. 4061s are extremely tiny. Standing still at a concert doesn't necessarily mean you are recording it. Was it level checking? Cables sticking out of your pockets?
"The pizza game has treated me well" - Evil Taper

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2006, 03:32:04 AM »
You can go without gear... But if you try to take it in all they can do if they catch you at the gates is send you back to your car to put the stuff away.  You have done nothing wrong.  It's not like you are holding a crack pipe... Everything you have is legal and the venue has no proof that you were going to use the gear for anything against policy.

Alot of venues try to use scare tactics to get you to stop because they know that they have no real legal leg to stand on.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2006, 03:40:06 AM »
I stealthed my DPA 4022 inside my hat.

I really think this is how i got caught.

I am first row off of the floor 10 rows from stage--so i am close.

I was standing not much movement but some--this one guy who was walking through the area looked at me and i looked right at him--then he turned away to walk in the other direction but then turned around again and I was still looking at him-it was like man i made eye contact with this dude for way to long--i got a funny feeling inside--and sure enough minute later i was swarmed.

the thing was i was not checking levels, or fooling around with my rig at all, it is supported in a fanny bag under my shirt--the r-1.   They guy walks up to me and says do you haved a recroder under that shirt.  I dont know how. I set levels and put it on in the bathroom  a couple of minutes before the band going on.  I knew the levels fromt he night before--so i jsut set it and forget it. I think it was the double stare--who keep looking at a dude with a headset wehn the band is rockin

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2006, 03:50:06 AM »
Cant say... Get a roo cap and dont stare. 8)

With my sonic studios DSMs I go through security with my mics attached to my sunglasses hanging around my neck.  I'm probably jinxing myself but in over 50 shows I've never had anyone notice.

I'd say don't worry.  The venues are not going to talk to each other.... And even if they do and they recognize you at the door there is nothing the can do cause you have not done anything wrong.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2006, 04:11:12 AM »
I agree with everyone else. They won't be specifically looking for you, it would be too much hassle for them. Most likely is was to scare you so that you never tape again, but obviously that won't work on us.

I would do what some other suggested and go to the next show without gear and check out what's going on. Then with yuor next show, begin taping again - but try not to stare, lol.
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2006, 04:50:42 AM »
i just wanted to say thanks to the taping community for the advice and support.

I will try not to stare so much.

Its jsut wierd the last 4 shows I taped which were in the past 5 days i had my r-1 out and adjusting all the time--this time i set it up in the bathroom and set the levels and forget about it and bam 1 hour into the show i get busted.  Stunned i guess

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2006, 04:53:25 AM »
maybe get rid of the fanny pack and make some stealth pants.  i don't know how old you are but anyone under 40 with a fanny pack is going to stand out suspiciously.  i cut holes in the tops of the front pockets of oversized cargo pants and just run the cables through the pants themselves.  it's completely self contained with no wires showing or having buldges where there should be none.  just what i do and it's always worked...
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline dank

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • cold irons bound
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2006, 05:28:29 AM »
Ill toss my opinion in....

I have only been caught Stealthing once and it was after the set of the artist I wanted to record was done (he was the opener at this show), so I politely told the security personnel that my evening was over and I would be on my way. They wanted to keep me there and ask me all sorts of questions, but I explained to them that  I was leaving, and the worst thing they could do to me would be to make me leave, which I was already doing.  I submitted to no search of my pockets or anything, they never officially 'caught' me as they could not see the 4061s.

Be polite, be cooperative, but remember that these security guys do not have any right to get personal information from you or photograph you, unless you agree to it under the condition that you can stay for the rest of the show (thus agreeing to the contract that is your ticket).  If you bought your seat by credit card, the venue can find out your name and info that way if they so decide, but who cares?

If you really 'need' to stick around for the rest of the gig, then you might want to play ball to some extent. But if youre cool leaving for the night, show them and tell them nothing.... nicely.
Mics: DPA 4021, AT 933, AKG CK31, CK32
Pre:  Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Oade ACM PMD660, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-2D, Sony PCM-M10[x2]
DIME List: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=919941

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2006, 09:45:53 AM »
If you really 'need' to stick around for the rest of the gig, then you might want to play ball to some extent. But if youre cool leaving for the night, show them and tell them nothing.... nicely.

That's the advice I was going to give...venue security is hired to enforce rules. They have no legal rights to do anything other than throw you out.
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline rowjimmy

• rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2006, 09:52:39 AM »
And remember, keeping you there against your will puts them on shaky ground, legally. It might behoove you to know the local statutes (advice i've seen given in other threads of this nature that i'd take to heart if I stealthed...)
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline PG

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2006, 09:54:41 AM »
I think the average concertgoer is oblivious to the location of roving security. If you gave one the staredown you definitely stuck out.

J.T.L

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2006, 10:36:56 AM »
...+T for your troubles, will this help next time (w/croakie mounts?)?

Offline tapernateva

• LOOKING DOWN FROM OUTER SPACE
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Tapernate...doesn't advertise
    • db.etree.org/tapernate
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2006, 10:49:09 AM »
dude i got popped 5th row center at a dylan show by some tooley who didn't even have a floor ticket.. he ratted on me because he wanted my seat...the venue security tried to take my gear when i demanded he get a local police officer and have him take the gear the heat was off...after the show he came back up to me and was like dude wheres the tape wheres the recorder i told him i did not know what he was taking about and left with him following me still harassing me...when i got to the door around a bunch of cops i politely said loudly dude i am sorry i do not want to buy any pot from you...heat off forever...cops talked to him...got away with a crisp recording of dylan with some interesting banter
+TT for you troubles
Everybody's got a little karma to pay!

Neumann ak40 > lc3 > km100>sd442>sd744t
Neumann ak50 > lc3 > km100>sd442>sd744t
4 channels of Neumann bliss

Offline rdflash

• I am the Mike Jordan of Recordin'
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2006, 10:56:13 AM »
dude i got popped 5th row center at a dylan show by some tooley who didn't even have a floor ticket.. he ratted on me because he wanted my seat...the venue security tried to take my gear when i demanded he get a local police officer and have him take the gear the heat was off...after the show he came back up to me and was like dude wheres the tape wheres the recorder i told him i did not know what he was taking about and left with him following me still harassing me...when i got to the door around a bunch of cops i politely said loudly dude i am sorry i do not want to buy any pot from you...heat off forever...cops talked to him...got away with a crisp recording of dylan with some interesting banter
+TT for you troubles

+ T

that is a great line.

Im laughing really hard. LOL LOL LOL

now, im being weird.
Ted Kennedy has killed more people with his car, than I have with a gun.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2006, 12:07:45 PM »
Although I'm sure this is easier said than done, I'm agreeing with some of the statement above that are along the lines of don't give them anything, not your gear, not your name, not your photograph, nothing. Tell them you want to leave the premises immediately. Tell them they are holding you against your will which is illegal. And tell them to flat out call the cops if they don't let you go. I just can't imagine getting arrested at a PJ show for this, plus the cops wouldn't even know what to write you up for anyway I bet. Just submit to getting thrown out and bail as fast as you can. That all seems like good advice.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.133 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com