Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Do tapers have fun at shows  (Read 22300 times)

Offline TeaLeafer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Do tapers have fun at shows
« on: August 01, 2006, 12:44:08 AM »
Sorry if this had been posted I couldn't find it, if anyone knows of a link just post it

So I'm thinking about getting started in taperdom, I have a good hook up for the gear to get started and I'm looking into it and researching.  One main thing that I need to know is how is taping a show different from just attending a show.  I love everything about live music, and think that taping would be a good thing thing for me to do, but don't want to sacrifice some things I enjoy about shows dancing,drinking,"other things",being social, and I like to be up close to the stage (I realise that's pretty obvious, won't be able to do that), but do you have to kinda be by your equipment all night?  Not that I need these things to enjoy a show.  So, what I'm looking for is all of your oppinions on this matter, I hope you understand what I'm trying to ask:  How is the experience different when taping? 

I hope to learn from your experiences
Thanks
Ben
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 12:45:52 AM by TeaLeafer »

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Do tapers have fun at shows
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 12:55:29 AM »
I have fun at shows. I taped Ween and The Flaming Lips the other night and was fried out of my mind for most of the night. It was a great time, and I'm listening to the Ween set now.

Depending on the show you may have to stay by your gear. I usually feel comfortable at most shows at I'm at. When there are other tapers about they'll usually keep an eye on your gear. Just don't be that guy that asks if you can watch his gear...every show.

If you really want to enjoy a show, skip taping for that night. I've skipped on taping a few shows this year (only ones that I know are being recorded). It was nice to know I was having a great time, and I could still get a copy of the show.

Frequently I have MORE FUN at shows when taping. I'd actually say that I'm sure I had more fun the other night hanging out with my taper friends vs. the "regular" friends I came with!

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 01:00:41 AM »
I have more fun taping and I drink like a fish.  just make sure you can handle your booze and "other".
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 01:03:54 AM »
I have the most fun taping when

a) I really like the band (duh...)
b) I'm not with my girlfriend
c) I can sit on a stool or at a table
d) I have a friend to hang out with who doesn't mind hanging in the back and chilling.

I have a lot of fun at shows.

Offline tfs8271

• Hand polished by Chris Lindsey
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 01:05:09 AM »
Fun?
A six pack a day, that's all we ask.

Neumann skm140>ACM Oade PMD660
or Oade Mod R4

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 01:14:15 AM »
I've got to say I have a great time taping at shows.  There is the random person around your mics that are bound to bug you... but thats life.  After recording several shows it will stop bugging you and you will get used to it.  Also, I have met some very kind people in the taper section.

I think one key for me to having fun is that we have a few local tapers here that are at most shows.  We have fun with each other and if any of us decide to leave the taper section to hit the rail or go get drinks we know that the rest of us will look out for our gear so there are really now worries.

Taping became much of an addiction for me and I love doing it.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

easy jim

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 01:33:04 AM »
I generally have more fun at shows that I'm taping vs. not.  Although maybe a bit removed from the normal concert going experience, there is a unique satisfaction in capturing it in a recording...kinda like fishing.

There is a bit of delayed gratification involved, of course.

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 01:38:57 AM »
I generally have more fun at shows that I'm taping vs. not.  Although maybe a bit removed from the normal concert going experience, there is a unique satisfaction in capturing it in a recording...kinda like fishing.

There is a bit of delayed gratification involved, of course.

I especially like it when you capture something completely unique (even better when you're running video).  Like something you hear about a few weeks later from someone else... "Hey, did you hear they covered such and such a song?" or "Did you hear what he said between these two songs?"  And you have it on tape.  That's nice.

Offline ehg

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 04:55:49 AM »
I mostly do stealth so leaving the gear is not an option obviously. I guess I could say I don't enjoy the concert the same way when taping (no drinks, dancing, claping and so on) but on the other hand I can really listen and watch what's going on on stage without much distraction.

Also, if I'm not taping (or taking pictures) I tend to stand the whole concert thinking "I would have got a great tape/photos from here. I should have brought my stuff"...
AT853 > battbox > Sony MZ-NH1

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 06:40:24 AM »
I mostly do stealth so leaving the gear is not an option obviously. I guess I could say I don't enjoy the concert the same way when taping (no drinks, dancing, claping and so on) but on the other hand I can really listen and watch what's going on on stage without much distraction.

Also, if I'm not taping (or taking pictures) I tend to stand the whole concert thinking "I would have got a great tape/photos from here. I should have brought my stuff"...

Yup, I stealth tape also and that can be a bummer not being able to move much. But, at the last show I taped I managed to put the mics on my jacket...

...But the jacket was on the barrier (I was front row balcony) so I was able to move and enjoy the gig without wrecking my recording. Only bummer is the people that keep moving past to get drinks or go to the toilet. My mics got knocked about 4 times that night - but overall a decent tape and I enjoyed it more.

Its a good thing that for a few of my next gigs are at the same venue so hopefully do the same thing.   ;)
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 08:17:56 AM »
I am strictly a stealth taper... I've taped over a hundred shows and not a single one of them open.  I must say that these days I have more fun taping than not.  I've never been much of a drinker or partaker of "other" substances so I don't miss that.  (I will say that my early taping "mentor" used to make sick tapes even when fried out of his brain.)  I've gotten so used to the not-moving-around thing that it doesn't bother me anymore.  I do a lot of head-bopping in my seat. :)  Sometimes it does suck that I can't talk to my friends during the show, but it more than pays off when I can listen to a nice recording later. 

I get a real kick when I look down and check my meters and see those VUs going.  I absolutely love that.  (except when they're clipping) ::)

As someone else said above, when I'm not taping sometimes I'll be saying to myself, "Damn, I should've brought my gear."  And definitely afterwards, I'll regret not having taped it. 
Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953, Shure MV88
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 08:19:51 AM »
I have more fun taping and I drink like a fish.  just make sure you can handle your booze and "other".

Word.  I feel naked without a beer constantly in my hand.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 08:33:19 AM »
I don't have much fun taping.  Esspecially stealthing.  Open taping I have not had much fun because I have had problems with my rig.  Now that I got my rig all put together and have a ton of practice, I think it is gonna be a ton more fun.   ;D
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2006, 08:46:11 AM »
I stopped being the "front row guy" a few years ago. The TS was the next logical step for me. ;D
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2006, 09:20:13 AM »
usually i have fun, at times you have the asshole who wants to give you shit or play with your gear
but as a whole its fun
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Wiggle

• Taperssection Member
  • So soft. Clearly meant to be loved by humans.
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2006, 09:21:26 AM »
I stopped being the "front row guy" a few years ago. The TS was the next logical step for me. ;D

Swap 'guy' with 'gal' and that was me a few years ago too. I find music sounds so much better just about anywhere but the front row. Not to mention that part of me gets off on watching the crowd get into the show too. The further back I am (within reason) to take it ALL in the better.
Open: SP C4/MSH-1O > Nick's Picks hydra cables > BM2P+ UA-5 > iRiver H120
Optional: Giant Squid cards > iRiver H120

Offline JoeKiller

• Taperssection Member
  • Duo!
    • JoeKiller.com
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2006, 09:26:08 AM »

Swap 'guy' with 'gal' and that was me a few years ago too. I find music sounds so much better just about anywhere but the front row. Not to mention that part of me gets off on watching the crowd get into the show too. The further back I am (within reason) to take it ALL in the better.

True that.  Some of the most fun I have is watching all the people doing crazy stuff and having fun.  Also, I figure I'm a bit too much of a booze hound to go all the way up front.  I'll have to pee eventually (no nalgene)  Generally the only problem I have is when the show is over and I'm picking up a chick, I gotta be like, lemme run this shit outside and sometimes I miss her, or if my friends are like, lets go hang with the band, sometimes I miss that transition but its totally 100% worth it. 
spc4>mme>mt

Archive List

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2006, 09:35:21 AM »
I love everything about live music, and think that taping would be a good thing thing for me to do, but don't want to sacrifice some things I enjoy about shows dancing,drinking,"other things",being social, and I like to be up close to the stage (I realise that's pretty obvious, won't be able to do that), but do you have to kinda be by your equipment all night? 

For the band I tape the most, and for certain other artists, I am a fan first... meaning I would rather be up front.  I have taped from the front row a handful of times...  It is certainly doable and depending on whether the taping gods are watching over you it IS possible to get a decent tape.

One pull I have fond memories of was a Yes symphonic show back in 2001 in Interlochen, MI.  I ran my Sonics and MZR70 MD completely stealth (no visible wires, no touching deck from beginning to end) from the front row.  I was directly in front of the PA for the orchestra.  The recording sucked... 80% orchestra, 20% band, in mono...  but I had a great time and it was the only tape to ever surface from that show.   (Plus, having had experience playing in an orchestra, it was real interesting to hear exactly what was going on back there, as it was usually drowned out by the band.)
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

Offline Aaron41

• Quack
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2006, 09:42:45 AM »
I've been wondering this the last couple shows I've been hitting. Yes I have fun at the shows but taping can definitely put some strain on the evening. I will say though that I find it hard NOT to tape. I'd imagine I'd feel worse not having taped an event than taping it and not enjoying it as much in person.
"The pizza game has treated me well" - Evil Taper

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2006, 09:45:41 AM »
I think it all depends on what you call fun. I walk away from my gear, but only if I know it's in a secure area or that the crowd isn't going to mess with it. But, I have fun at shows too, but for me that's sans any extras other than some beer or wine (or the ocassional vodka & tonic). But I'm a music geek, I love music and love recording. I'm not much into the whole dance thing, or being a "front row joe", so hanging back a bit is just fine with me... and really for me that's all part of the fun.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2006, 10:15:49 AM »
Sorry if this had been posted I couldn't find it, if anyone knows of a link just post it

So I'm thinking about getting started in taperdom, I have a good hook up for the gear to get started and I'm looking into it and researching.  One main thing that I need to know is how is taping a show different from just attending a show.  I love everything about live music, and think that taping would be a good thing thing for me to do, but don't want to sacrifice some things I enjoy about shows dancing,drinking,"other things",being social, and I like to be up close to the stage (I realise that's pretty obvious, won't be able to do that), but do you have to kinda be by your equipment all night?  Not that I need these things to enjoy a show.  So, what I'm looking for is all of your oppinions on this matter, I hope you understand what I'm trying to ask:  How is the experience different when taping? 

I hope to learn from your experiences
Thanks
Ben

The biggest difference between taping and not-taping is your mobility.  At least for me, I don't feel comfortable leaving my gear out and like to be where I can watch it.

I stopped dancing and partying a long time ago and became a chill-in-the-back guy, so taping was natural.  If you still want to go crazy, I don't think taping will be fun for you, you might even find it boring.

However, that's not saying you can't become a patcher...  That might be the way to go...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Sanjay

• www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2006, 11:03:04 AM »
If it wasn't fun I wouldn't tape.  Taping for me is solely a way for me to preserve and have a copy of the concert I went to, its not a contest, its not a race, and its not a job.  As soon as it stops being fun for me i'll quit since I want to have fun at the concerts I go to.  There are several tapers who I know who think of taping as a Race, they sit, have no fun, are really pissy at other people for coming within 10 feet of their stand, and at the end of the night have the tape converted before I pull into my driveway.  I've even seen one taper set up and go back to his car and go to sleep for the majority of the show, coming back later to get his stuff.  These people probably don't have any fun at concerts, but its what they want out of it.

Its all what you make of it, as long as you tell yourself that your enjoyment of the concert comes first you will leave happy and probably still with a copy of the show. 
mics & cameras

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2006, 11:33:41 AM »
Keeping the dumbasses off your stand is the only real headache. Otherwise, I still dance around, drink beer and partake of the occassional.....whatever. We have a pretty good group of tapers in the SE and it's fun to get out and hang with friends that share a common interest.
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2006, 11:38:18 AM »
I have a great time at concerts I tape!  I feel strange if I'm at a show and I'm not taping.  When I first started taping I had a girl who loved to go to show's as much as me, but she had a lot less fun when I was recording because my attention was no longer on her.  I actually prefer to go to shows alone when I am taping so that I can focus just on that.   I'll move from my rig to go into the crowd from time to time each show, and I drink a few beers but I don't get trashed... I don't typically get trashed anyways.  The challange of getting the great pull is a very exciting thing for me.  Sometimes you nail it, and sometimes you don't!
     Sometimes when I bring my full multitrack rig out (this is my personal "prefered" way to tape) the load-in > setup > tear-down can get old, but I have gotten to know so many bands, venues and engineers by being there early/late that I often get in for free, or atleast early when I bring that rig out, so that is a nice perk.  My ambient rig is now a very small open rig and bringing that out is just pure pleasure.  Some shows I am at, I know the band is running on all 8 and if I am the only taper I get huge satisfaction knowing I preserved a very special moment in time that would otherwise never be heard by outside ears.  I guess for me the fun is there but it is the ending satisfaction that makes me want to do it again.  I look at some of my recordings on the archive and see that hundereds or thousands of people have downloaded my source and I feel pretty proud of myself!  One band actually thanked me in the liner notes of their first album because they attribute a lot of their early success to my first recording of them and then the efforts of of other tapers via the buzz I started about them through the TS taping community.
     Then add to that all the friends I have made at shows with just hardcore fans of the artist, bands archivists, other tapers, or even just the people who come up and want to know what I am doing and how to get started.  Taping is cool as shit!

Matt

*edit*  When I first started out I was very anal about staying with my rig, staring at my meters, checking to make sure batts were OK, and gurding my shit.  I have since relaxed and I think that would be true for most people who have been taping for awhile.  First few shows are a little nervewracking but fun nonetheless.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 11:40:15 AM by mmmatt »
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline leehookem

• Texas Tapers
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2006, 11:48:29 AM »
I've got to say I have a great time taping at shows.  There is the random person around your mics that are bound to bug you... but thats life.  After recording several shows it will stop bugging you and you will get used to it.  Also, I have met some very kind people in the taper section.

I think one key for me to having fun is that we have a few local tapers here that are at most shows.  We have fun with each other and if any of us decide to leave the taper section to hit the rail or go get drinks we know that the rest of us will look out for our gear so there are really now worries.

Taping became much of an addiction for me and I love doing it.
that sums up taping here in Austin too!
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Offline Liquid Drum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2006, 12:31:36 PM »
If it wasn't fun I wouldn't tape.  Taping for me is solely a way for me to preserve and have a copy of the concert I went to, its not a contest, its not a race, and its not a job.  As soon as it stops being fun for me i'll quit since I want to have fun at the concerts I go to.  There are several tapers who I know who think of taping as a Race, they sit, have no fun, are really pissy at other people for coming within 10 feet of their stand, and at the end of the night have the tape converted before I pull into my driveway.  I've even seen one taper set up and go back to his car and go to sleep for the majority of the show, coming back later to get his stuff.  These people probably don't have any fun at concerts, but its what they want out of it.

Its all what you make of it, as long as you tell yourself that your enjoyment of the concert comes first you will leave happy and probably still with a copy of the show. 

These people are mainly sellers, I reckon.

They only care about a decent tape so they can make a quick bit of cash.

I do get pissed when people knock my mics around on purpose (when they basically sitting on top of me) its not good.

Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2006, 12:32:23 PM »
Stealth taping isn't really 'fun' to me personally.  I have fun open taping though.  I don't tape the 'big' shows I go to since there are always multiple sources from big money rigs available the next morning online (I have patched a time or two at these types of shows).  I usually tape small local shows where there are 1-3 tapers present.  I don't have a big money rig and all my stuff fits in a waterproof gear bag (cooler).  This allows me to leave the rig and not really worry about someone spilling a beer on it or walking out with it.  Since I've stopped using DAT, I've even let the recorder run while I've left the venue momentarily.  It's nice not worrying about running out of tape or using it efficiently.
AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2006, 12:40:38 PM »
I went from being front row guy to guy stealthing in front of a stack to being front row guy with a cam.

I still get a buzz whenever I come out of a show with awesome footage. 

Offline Sanjay

• www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2006, 12:48:43 PM »

no just people who tape a hobby too seriously.
mics & cameras

Offline Liquid Drum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2006, 01:05:59 PM »

no just people who tape a hobby too seriously.

Maybe, but they gotta calm down, lol.  :P
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

RebelRebel

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2006, 01:15:37 PM »
when I taped I didnt have much fun because I am obsessive compulsive about my gear, so I was constantly checking levels, elbowing people away from me, etc.

Now I dont tape anymore and have a lot more fun at concerts. (I still record gigs, but only classical and in an employment setting)

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2006, 01:35:26 PM »
Keeping the dumbasses off your stand is the only real headache. Otherwise, I still dance around, drink beer and partake of the occassional.....whatever. We have a pretty good group of tapers in the SE and it's fun to get out and hang with friends that share a common interest.

true.  taping solo is not nearly as fun.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2006, 01:38:56 PM »
Yup, I used to be pretty obsessive about making the tape.  My behavior was so extreme in some cases that I earned myself a nickname among the fans of the bands I was archiving for at the time (the Silencer).

I rarely record shows for fun anymore, as it's become a business for me.  I still do get out and run from time to time though, just because it's something I've been doing for almost 20 years and dammit, it's still pretty fun sometimes.  I don't stress out about anything anymore though unless it's a paying gig.

Dirk
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2006, 01:40:04 PM »

true.  taping solo is not nearly as fun.

QFT, Team SE represent!!!

I do have a habit of not taping shows I know will be taped by others, and looking for shows where I may be the only taper...  So I don't get to hang out as much...

T

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2006, 02:23:52 PM »

Not exactly.  At this point, I have a hard time not tracking out my recording the night I get home (which makes for a shitty next day at work).  I don't know what it is... I just feel a need to get it all squared away before my next show.  P.S. I have never sold a show.

Offline Tenn Man

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2006, 02:29:44 PM »
Yup, I used to be pretty obsessive about making the tape.  My behavior was so extreme in some cases that I earned myself a nickname among the fans of the bands I was archiving for at the time (the Silencer).

I rarely record shows for fun anymore, as it's become a business for me.  I still do get out and run from time to time though, just because it's something I've been doing for almost 20 years and dammit, it's still pretty fun sometimes.  I don't stress out about anything anymore though unless it's a paying gig.

Dirk

Dirk,

I haven't seen you at any John Cowan shows lately. Are you still recording any of his? I saw him at the Down Home last Saturday. I had run in to you there and at Somerset, KY.

Offline TeaLeafer

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2006, 09:57:26 PM »
Wow, thanks for the great responses, that clarifies a lot for me!

Thanks

Offline rowjimmy

• rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2006, 10:26:02 PM »
just to throw one more out there...

I have been on the fringe of the TS for years and years. had friends who taped and hung out nearby, bringing them beers carrying the stand in and happily reaping the benefits as a music collector. In those days I could easily move around, get loaded, spun, whatever but Id drift back toward the section because,

a) my friends were there
and
b) i do better in the more tame surroundings away from the lip.

Then I became a patcher for many of the same reasons but now I got to come home with the show...

Since then I've made a few forays into the field with borrowed gear. The results have been mixed (one great recording, one... not) but It's been fun so far...

:D
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2006, 10:34:23 PM »
I won't go to hear music I don't like just to record it. I went through a "taping isn't fun" stage, but I'm over it. I have fun and don't sweat it now. The all in one ACM PMD 671 has liberated me! :)
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline ~~~>

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2006, 10:35:37 PM »
Nah.  I hate going to shows.  The moment the show starts I'm looking at my watch wondering when it's gonna end so I can go home and listen to it.

Offline beefstew

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2006, 10:54:33 PM »
Nah.  I hate going to shows.  The moment the show starts I'm looking at my watch wondering when it's gonna end so I can go home and listen to it.

LOL best post ever ;D
*Audio*
Mics:
SP-CMC-19
Panasonic WM61a

Recorders:
MZ-RH910 (Hi-MD)
Sony TC-WE435 (CASS)

*Video*
Canon ZR-500 [Mini DV]
54" Tripod

I spend most of my money on gambling, booze, and women. The rest i spend foolishly.

Offline tfs8271

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2006, 12:22:05 AM »
The all in one ACM PMD 671 has liberated me! :)

Sweet Daddy +T

I know you were kidding, but...
It was the same here, twenty years ago and it wasn't to go home and listen to the show. Just to get to the hotel  ;). Sick old days.

or Oade Mod R4

Offline L Ron Hoover

• "I figure the odds be 50/50"
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2006, 12:29:02 AM »
I definately had a lot of fun taping at Blues Traveler tonight. Small crowd. 250-300 people, and they still brought it. Still worth the coin IMHO.

Offline Gizby

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2006, 12:39:40 AM »
Regardless of taping or not, I seem to be perennially stuck behind tall teenage guys at concerts. They just seem to know that I want to watch a performance, and they position themselves in front of me in packs.

Just say no to tall teenagers.
Mics: DSP mod Oktava MK012s, CAD E100S (2), Studio Projects C4s, SP-CMC-2, Polsen OLM-20
Preamps/BB: Sound Devices MixPre, SP-SPSB-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam DR‑05
Video: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4

Team SoCal

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2006, 12:42:26 AM »
The all in one ACM PMD 671 has liberated me! :)

Sweet Daddy +T

I know you were kidding, but...
It was the same here, twenty years ago and it wasn't to go home and listen to the show. Just to get to the hotel  ;). Sick old days.

Hahaha...  I run out to my car after shows and listen on the way home...  The benefits of JB3's line-out and an AUX input on my Alpine...

Terry

PS... I love technology...

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2006, 12:43:03 AM »
Regardless of taping or not, I seem to be perennially stuck behind tall teenage guys at concerts. They just seem to know that I want to watch a performance, and they position themselves in front of me in packs.

Just say no to tall teenagers.

I was taping from an elevated bar platform (like, 3' up) on Sunday night and a guy standing in front of the rail was blocking my view.  I was sitting at a table, but still... come on.

Offline bubbybooshay

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2006, 12:54:57 AM »
at open shows i have lots of fun, particularly if i am with other people and can throw back some drinks without worrying about my gear, at stealth shows i have lots of fun listening to the show afterwards ;)
mk41, c4's > nbox, Lunatec V3 > mt24/96, hdp2, sd722

Offline tenesejedd

• Taperssection Member
  • Never trust a woman who wears her pants too tight
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2006, 01:39:36 AM »
I definitly agree that some people take it way too seriously. My whole rig fits in a hard metal case (the kind you find at Lowes for Home Depot) so once my levels are set, I close the case, lock it up and go have some fun. I typically stay within eye sight of my gear and get a feel for the crowd. If its all good, then I'll wonder off and enjoy the show. There have been shows where I'll start recording, stay through the first song and a half and watch the levels, and then lock up and I don't see my rig until the end of the show.  If I get a good pull, then I'm happy, if my pull isn't worth listening to, then thats the advantage of the compact flash card and rechargeables... no money lost. For me, enjoying the show comes first. If I get a good pull and I can enjoy it over and over again, then thats a great bonus. And its those good pulls that keep me taping over and over again.
Avantone CK-1>Busman T-Mod FR2-LE
Edirol R-1

I see you scissoring me with your eyes...

Offline beathydrolysis

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2006, 01:59:57 AM »
I probably won't say anything that's not already been said but I have way, way more fun at a show when I'm taping vs. not taping.  The other tapers are right that there's the occassional concertgoer that forces you to watch your gear but its usually a non-issue.  Personally I prefer the view from the tapers section but that's not to say I feel chained to it.  If there's a tapers section, there's likely going to be more than one taper and tapers are great at protecting each others gear.  All you have to do is ask another taper to keep an eye on your rig and you can take off and party your ass off.  Then when you come back you return the favor (it's a great little system).

Also you can be pretty drunk and still handle your rig (you shouldn't even have to touch the levels during a show unless someone drops a bass bomb on you).  And any little effort you spend minding your gear is far eclipsed by the enjoyment you'll get listening to the show on the way home/the next day at work, etc.  I taped my ass off at Bonnaroo and 10klf this summer and don't regret a single moment (I'm sitting on 30 hours of tunes from 10klf alone, post-editing them as we speak, and loving my life).  I stealth a lot too and that can be a different story.  Stealthing requires a lot more effort and self restraint (depending on how much you value a "quality" recording) but you can get some amazing pulls and it is a definite thrill.  'nough said.  Go out and tape, you won't regret it.
Take care of the tapers and the tapers will take care of you.

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2006, 02:10:50 AM »
Ive been recording for about 6 years now. at first I patched only from a great sbd at cafe tomo and always partied and was amazed at how easy things were  :P
Whenever I patched out of actual tapers, I always tried to stay in the section to watch gear, block drunks etc. I was also in a stage of getting older (and wiser  8)) and actually enjoyed being in the back more, better sights and sound.

when Im taping 90% im the only taper. I usually have to stay by my rig the whole show, but I dont mind, cause I usually get best sight and sound. I have some friends who occasionally bring me beers, but I usually just stay sober so I can also drive home. sometimes for intown sgows, Ill lock the gear in the car and walk home if there's a show at the humboldt brewery  :drunk: but if I have to drive to a show a ways away, Im definately driving back.

Taping is fun and enjoyable. I love it bc in a way, its like Im part of many bands, putting in time at shows, and sometimes working as diligently as the artists on stage  ;)
and Its a trip and a half if you become an archivist for a band, or introduce them to the whole taping thing.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 02:12:44 AM by svenkid »
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline tfs8271

« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2006, 02:17:03 AM »
humboldt brewery 

??? Not really one of these anymore. But there is Humboldt Brews  ;D  ;)

edit: spelling [shit]

or Oade Mod R4

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2006, 02:24:41 AM »
There has never been any question in my mind that I enjoy recording opposed to NOT recording.  In fact, when I attend shows without my gear, my mind often wanders back to my gear...enough to change my focus.

For me, what really changed my attitudes and approach was my show-going experience.  When I was young, dumb and full of cumb, it was nice not having anything to worry about.  Then again, that was 20 years ago, and taping was not in my mind yet.  As I aged, went to over 1500 shows, the "been there, done that" attitude was kept in check by introducing recording in to the mix.  I can honestly say that the last 10-15 years of taping have steadily gotten better, and continue to do so.  I continue to learn, I continue to make contacts, I continue to become more and more a part of each show I attend.  I used to leave a concert with a hangover and a ticket stub.  Now I leave with a hangover, a ticket stub, and a well planned out evening of recording and the show itself.

+t by the way for the question.  That's an important aspect of recording.  If you're going to lose something in the experience, you probably shouldn't do it.
Socks are overrated.

Offline tfs8271

« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2006, 02:28:22 AM »
There has never been any question in my mind that I enjoy recording opposed to NOT recording.  In fact, when I attend shows without my gear, my mind often wanders back to my gear...enough to change my focus.

For me, what really changed my attitudes and approach was my show-going experience.  When I was young, dumb and full of cumb, it was nice not having anything to worry about.  Then again, that was 20 years ago, and taping was not in my mind yet.  As I aged, went to over 1500 shows, the "been there, done that" attitude was kept in check by introducing recording in to the mix.  I can honestly say that the last 10-15 years of taping have steadily gotten better, and continue to do so.  I continue to learn, I continue to make contacts, I continue to become more and more a part of each show I attend.  I used to leave a concert with a hangover and a ticket stub.  Now I leave with a hangover, a ticket stub, and a well planned out evening of recording and the show itself.

+t by the way for the question.  That's an important aspect of recording.  If you're going to lose something in the experience, you probably shouldn't do it.

WOW +T around...feelin' drunk  ;D good night

or Oade Mod R4

Offline Liquid Drum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2006, 05:20:49 AM »

Not exactly.  At this point, I have a hard time not tracking out my recording the night I get home (which makes for a shitty next day at work).  I don't know what it is... I just feel a need to get it all squared away before my next show.  P.S. I have never sold a show.

Well, not everyone is a seller and I'm sure there is none here also.  :)
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Offline funkoff13

• wishes leisure suits would come back in style.
  • strawberry fields central park november 2008
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2006, 07:58:32 AM »
for the most part yes.  it varies depending on the venue, crowd, me.

if it wasnt fun we wouldnt do it.

afterwards its always worth it when those headphones go on in the car.

Offline bgalizio

• http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2006, 08:44:32 AM »
I always have fun taping. For one, I tape music I like, not just because the band is taper friendly. I generally see/tape folk music. The crowds are usually very well behaved and quiet. My fiancee enjoys the same music too. I'm usually the only taper, which has good and bad points. The folk community is very grassroots and are always very appreciative of the archival efforts of tapers.

I recently went to see GRAB and there were some moments of near stress with blocking stands, talkers, etc. I don't think I would enjoy taping as much if I had to deal with that environment each show. As it is, I don't like seeing shows in that type of environment very often anyway - taping or not.

Offline cyfan

• Taperssection Member
  • It's not personal
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2006, 09:16:00 AM »
I have as much fun taping shows now as when I started. But I do find it nice sometimes to just scrap the mics and run a JB3 board patch that I can essentially ignore until the end of the show. (I only do this on solo acoustic shows, stuff with DI boxes, things I know will sound OK). It's a little more low-stress, no gear to haul around, easy breakdown for fast exit ...

On the other hand, I have not kept the same joy for the transfers/mastering process. Given that I run a lotta multi-tracks and do some post matrix work, it sometimes means spending a long time at the PC at home to tweek them into shape.

Still nothing like nailing a sweet recording of a performer you dig though ...

tim
Superlux HK8 > Edirol UA-5 > JB3
Multi-tracker: Fostex VF 160 EX

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2006, 09:21:22 AM »
Here's my view on it.  Right now I have a hell of a lot of fun recording my music and my friends, even with the less than wonderful equipment I have.  I love concerts, and even with as many fun experiences I've had on the rail, I would love to put out just a smoking recording for myself to enjoy and hopefully someone else can enjoy that concert as much as I did.  This all started because I absolutely love listening to fan recorded shows, all things recording are of interest to me, and because I feel that shows by good bands deserve to be preserved.

That said, I'm starting small, for both financial and logical reasons.  Anyone want to sell me a 3-wire box?  :P
Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2006, 09:37:28 AM »
i really enjoy taping and i stealth.  i guess its becuase i think i am doing something--i guess i am wound up tight--just cant relax, but as the years pass from the shows i have taped, then i go back to listen to them again it brings back the memories of that show so vividly.  Its like the time is in the fabric of my skin

Offline tenesejedd

• Taperssection Member
  • Never trust a woman who wears her pants too tight
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2006, 12:48:12 PM »
QFT
........ but as the years pass from the shows i have taped, then i go back to listen to them again it brings back the memories of that show so vividly.  Its like the time is in the fabric of my skin

I think my favorite thing about taping is that every show I tape has a story behind it. Whether its something cool the band did, new friends that I made, seeing old friends I haven't seen in a long long time, etc.
Avantone CK-1>Busman T-Mod FR2-LE
Edirol R-1

I see you scissoring me with your eyes...

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2006, 12:42:11 PM »
As far as having fun taping... there's more to it than just the few hours you spend doing the actual recording.

I would rather not have to worry about the rig and everything else that goes along with taping a show - and just dance, drink, and have a good time.  But I forego that because I really enjoy listening to the show later and sharing the music - there is more than enough fun in that to make the part that I don't enjoy that much worthwhile.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2006, 02:10:59 PM »
As far as having fun taping... there's more to it than just the few hours you spend doing the actual recording.

I would rather not have to worry about the rig and everything else that goes along with taping a show - and just dance, drink, and have a good time.  But I forego that because I really enjoy listening to the show later and sharing the music - there is more than enough fun in that to make the part that I don't enjoy that much worthwhile.

definately! +T
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2006, 02:57:18 PM »
absolutely, admittedly a different kind of fun, in that the excitement of being in the front row or being as loud as you want to be is replaced with the satisfaction of pulling tape during the show, I prefer to tape when I see live music

Offline rocksuitcase

• RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2006, 03:11:01 PM »

Good perspective.  I see those points for sure.  Sometimes taping IS NOT fun, but for me,those times are few and hopefully farther between!
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline Digital Quality

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2006, 04:09:06 PM »
The only not-fun part for me is getting there super early for the big shows. That and getting pegged by the heavy duty glowsticks, the light ones don't bother me but some of them are like test tube hard and heavy,, ouch. Other than that it's a hoot, sometimes we even meet people of the opposite sex  :o By the end of summer season I'm ready to come out of the rain do some indoor taping and of course at the end of winter it's nice to be outside.

Edit: Now we have indoor smoking ban too so I'm looking forward to that.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 04:11:15 PM by Riff Raff »
You are here: http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

rig:         mk41/21>kc5>cmc6>KindKables>v3>Axim x50v,WM6,live2496
playback: Marantz DV7600>Mackie 1202>Mackie HR824

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2006, 06:40:23 PM »

you were 'the front row guy' for moe morgantown on 2/27/2005 but shortly after, i recall you taping ;D wait a minute, you were 'the front row guy' at roseland moe as well ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2006, 07:48:57 PM »
There are several tapers who I know who think of taping as a Race, they sit, have no fun, are really pissy at other people for coming within 10 feet of their stand, and at the end of the night have the tape converted before I pull into my driveway.  I've even seen one taper set up and go back to his car and go to sleep for the majority of the show, coming back later to get his stuff.

I think I pooed a little reading this... fucking funny shit!

I can think of a few people like this... reminds me of some tapers that spend their whole time at the show grabbing balloons and beach balls and deflating them, when they could just have a little fun and realize that a practically weightless balloon will not only not make any noticeable sound on the recording if it grazes the mics, but it will also do no damage. Big ass beachballs are another story, but still... some people should really just find a new hobby if they're going to take this one so seriously that they can't seem to enjoy themselves.

Offline Oysterhead00

• Taperssection Member
  • Rock This Bitch
    • My Ugly Page In Need Of A Huge Makeover
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2006, 07:57:56 PM »
Pro's:
 - PERSONAL lasting memory of the show
 - Can revisit the show any time you want
 - Fun to play with your expensive toys
 - Some bands give you special attention and REALLY appreciate your taping and giving them copies
 - Same for venue, little clubs will give you all the free drinks you want for copies of great shows
 - MOST IMPORTANT:  Hot chicks seeing you tape and asking you for copies...you do the math  ;)

Con's:
 - Security hassles
 - Drunks (in my case, that includes me at lots of shows - ha ha ha)
 - Big venues, your friends want to run for a beer in the beer garden...leave your gear or stay by yourself??
 - MOSH PITS near your gear

Overall - I love taping.  If I go to shows with a special someone, I won't tape as I hope to make my own special memories for the night :)  When stealth taping, I used to stand like a rigid pole to get a good recording, have since relaxed and just hoped the recording turned out OK for my own personal enjoyment.  What I can say is I've gone to see some taper friendly/little bands that I NEVER would have gone to if it wasn't to tape them and have been introduced to some of my favorite bands that way.

If you're thinking of getting into the hobby, I'd recommend a cheap setup to see if you enjoy it...if not, why do it?  If you enjoy it then the investment is totally worth it and the Pro's will greatly outweigh the Con's.
Big Rig:  SMK-H8K/U or MSH-1O > PS-2 > AD-20 > CJB3
Sm Rig:  SS DSM-6S (or SP-CMC-12 > SPBM-2)  > MD-MT77
ISO: Cheap iRiver 120 or 140 :)

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2006, 08:27:14 PM »
When stealth taping, I used to stand like a rigid pole to get a good recording, have since relaxed and just hoped the recording turned out OK for my own personal enjoyment.

Ditto.  I have a few drinks, smoke, move a little, & you usually can't ever hear it.  If so, oh well, that's the nature of the game.  I have a stiff neck often, I've found i enjoy stealthing (my usual MO) a lot more when I can go home without my neck hurting for the next coupla days.
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2006, 02:14:14 AM »
  ...What I can say is I've gone to see some taper friendly/little bands that I NEVER would have gone to if it wasn't to tape them and have been introduced to some of my favorite bands that way. ...

This is very true for me as well.  I never knew what I was missing before I started taping.   SOOOO much good music out there these days!

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2006, 02:21:59 AM »
i was shut down taping tuna last month. had a misserable time because every time i went to ceck on my rig, it wasn't doing anything. as long as my gear isn't in any iminnent danger, i just let it be.

had a date friday, and that was even worse than not taping or being anal about gaurding gear. she wasn't into the tunes and just wanted to sit in one spot. usualy i'll only do that if i have to take my turn watching others gear, and quickly wander off as soon as someone returns.

[edit] the "work" comes in when you need to get a tape to the band asap(sorry, i can't do instant live). it's worth it though when the praise comes from them.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 02:26:27 AM by admkrk »
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2006, 09:21:44 AM »
I taped UFO ('70s British rock band) last night (I'll post about some other things that came up while recording in a different thread if anyone cares to read a bit about the show).

This probably sounds kind of stupid ~~ but it worked for me!

OK ~ how to add a little enjoyment to the recording experience... lip synch the music.  Yes - I said LIP SYNCH.  Sing your lungs out.  Flap your gums.  Belt 'em out like the drunks in the front row.  Just be careful you don't get so carried away that you start dancing and jumping around and you're all set.

I was diggin' the jams so much (haven't seen them in 25 years) and knew I probably had a good sounding tape rolling that I just couldn't mess up by singing out loud.  So I just started lip synching... and by God, it was almost like the real thing.  Kind of like sex with a rubber on... not nearly as good as the real thing - but a helluva lot better than nothing!

Next time you tape - give it a try - you've got nothing to lose.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline Javit

• Lágrimas de Sangre - Guayasamín
« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2006, 10:02:01 AM »
I think the best thing (and not just with taping) but collecting music is introducing it to people that would have otherwise never known about it. I just turned my dad onto an Elvis show he was at back in the 70's and the look on his face when he was getting to listen to it was priceless; so happy. i have tons of fun at shows if I'm stealthing (getting the gear in is half the fun) or if I'm open taping in a huge forest or the only taper.  So if I'm taping somewhere and someone wants to bother me for a copy of the show I'll give them my contacts and stuff because I want people to be able to hear the same stuff we do on a regular basis. [/hippie]

Nobility is expensive, nonproductive and parasitic, siphoning away too much of society's energy to satisfy its frivolous cravings.

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2006, 11:20:05 AM »
This probably sounds kind of stupid ~~ but it worked for me!

OK ~ how to add a little enjoyment to the recording experience... lip synch the music.  Yes - I said LIP SYNCH.  Sing your lungs out.  Flap your gums.  Belt 'em out like the drunks in the front row.  Just be careful you don't get so carried away that you start dancing and jumping around and you're all set.

I do the same exact thing!!  Makes it more fun.  Plus if I'm taping from the front row, or I'm near the front, it just looks more natural to the performers on stage... like I'm singing along with everyone else.

Offline tapernateva

• LOOKING DOWN FROM OUTER SPACE
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Tapernate...doesn't advertise
    • db.etree.org/tapernate
« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2006, 12:08:53 PM »
if you have seen any of my posted picts they speak for themselves....
fuck yeah i have fun at shows
unless its like a giant show with like 1000000000 people then i get lost in the crowd and forget where my gear is plus i never get to piss if i'm stealthing but oh well
Everybody's got a little karma to pay!

Neumann ak40 > lc3 > km100>sd442>sd744t
Neumann ak50 > lc3 > km100>sd442>sd744t
4 channels of Neumann bliss

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2006, 11:35:56 AM »
There are several tapers who I know who think of taping as a Race, they sit, have no fun, are really pissy at other people for coming within 10 feet of their stand, and at the end of the night have the tape converted before I pull into my driveway.  I've even seen one taper set up and go back to his car and go to sleep for the majority of the show, coming back later to get his stuff.

I think I pooed a little reading this... fucking funny shit!

I can think of a few people like this... reminds me of some tapers that spend their whole time at the show grabbing balloons and beach balls and deflating them, when they could just have a little fun and realize that a practically weightless balloon will not only not make any noticeable sound on the recording if it grazes the mics, but it will also do no damage. Big ass beachballs are another story, but still... some people should really just find a new hobby if they're going to take this one so seriously that they can't seem to enjoy themselves.

That one came close. I think the beach ball was the giveaway ;D

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2006, 12:00:56 PM »
I have always thought that the problem with balloons is that if they get popped near the section it is very audible in the recordings (not that people worried about them brushing up against their mics, as was implied above).  Beachballs are another story entirely.
AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2006, 09:11:51 PM »
poping ballons is very good way to fuck uop a recording. expecialy if there a whole lot of them. say at a new years eve show for example  :(
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2006, 09:30:26 PM »
I have always thought that the problem with balloons is that if they get popped near the section it is very audible in the recordings (not that people worried about them brushing up against their mics, as was implied above).  Beachballs are another story entirely.
I saw the best beach ball murder to date over the 4th weekend.
The guy went psycho on the ball literally.(he was in the middle by himself and the ball blasted his stand)
Alfred Hitchcock would be proud. tapinfool can attest to that one.
We think the murder weapon was a screwdriver, the funny part was the next night the owner patched the ball up and paraded it past the section with all these white patches on it. It didn't make another appearance after that though.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline OGTL

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #79 on: August 18, 2006, 05:44:24 PM »

Next time you tape - give it a try - you've got nothing to lose.
Accept your dignity! :P

Offline Brian_CT

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2006, 02:15:13 AM »
OK ~ how to add a little enjoyment to the recording experience... lip synch the music.  Yes - I said LIP SYNCH.  Sing your lungs out.  Flap your gums.  Belt 'em out like the drunks in the front row. 

I've been doing this right from the start and assumed everybody else did it too.
My wife & I are also great at "stealth-clapping" ;)

Offline funkoff13

« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2006, 09:27:24 AM »
where my gear is plus i never get to piss if i'm stealthing but oh well

that is what water bottles and beer cups are for!

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2006, 10:57:01 AM »

You underestimate my capacity. A 2 liter bottle can be marginal.  Those 16 oz containers would never make it and as you know, it's nearly impossible to stop once you get that stream running.

How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline funkoff13

« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2006, 10:59:06 AM »

it's nearly impossible to stop once you get that stream running.

aaahhhhh control young padawan.

RebelRebel

« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2006, 11:38:46 AM »
I just hook up a colostomy bag first.

You underestimate my capacity. A 2 liter bottle can be marginal.  Those 16 oz containers would never make it and as you know, it's nearly impossible to stop once you get that stream running.

Offline kcmoejoe

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Team Kansasouri
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2006, 11:48:47 AM »
you could use this- http://us.gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/fake-beer-belly-gets-you-tanked-140140.php

and reverse engineer it to be used to fill back up after you drink it all, as long as you remember its not beer in there anymore!  :-X
Open: JW Mod AKG 460 (ck61/63) > Sound Devices MP-2 > R-09HR / D8
Stealth: AT853 w/ 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub-Card,Hypers) / DPA 4061 > Batt. Box > R-09HR

Audio trade list: http://db.etree.org/kcmoejoe  (outdated)
DVD trade list: http://db.etree.org/kcmjdvd  (outdated)
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000146308101
shows on LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/kcmoejoe
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/kcmoejoe

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2006, 11:30:11 AM »
poping ballons is very good way to fuck uop a recording. expecialy if there a whole lot of them. say at a new years eve show for example  :(

I usually stretch out the neck where you blow it up and bite a hole in it, then let it fly away. It's pretty funny to watch it fly away losing air with people trying to bat it around.
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

Offline merry77

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #87 on: September 26, 2006, 02:05:24 PM »
I am doing the same thing.
lip syncing, stealth clapping.
1) it shows your appreciation for the music
2) it distracts security

I am always stealth taping and this year during one show some chick clapped me on the back and shouted: You rock!
Hehe, that was very funny. I think she is on the recording. Normally I would find it annoying, but she said it to me so it brings back memories of that show.
I record shows because I WANT to be able to listen to them again and again.
It's funny to hear the singer's comments.

This year I've recorded 3 shows from the first row and my BEST recording for this tour came from a 1st row recording.
You can even hear off mic comments and that is really funny. Or hammering under the stage and then the performer talks about it. And the great thing is you can hear it all on the recording.
I get a kick out of the fact that after the show the first time you listen to the recording and hearing how good it is and then checking all of the songs.
After that distributing of the recording and getting a kick out of the reaction of other people when you can see they like hearing it again as well.
Shared joy is double joy!

So far I've got a recording of nearly every show I've seen in my life. Only missing one.

OK ~ how to add a little enjoyment to the recording experience... lip synch the music.  Yes - I said LIP SYNCH.  Sing your lungs out.  Flap your gums.  Belt 'em out like the drunks in the front row. 

I've been doing this right from the start and assumed everybody else did it too.
My wife & I are also great at "stealth-clapping" ;)
AT853 sub-cardioid taper

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #88 on: September 26, 2006, 05:03:51 PM »
2) it distracts security

Perfected my stealth clap after a guy next to me looked at me funny when I was feebly clapping like an old lady. :-\  I look like the head of the fan club now, plus it shows my true appreciation to the performers.  8)
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline funkoff13

« Reply #89 on: September 27, 2006, 01:22:06 PM »
2) it distracts security

Perfected my stealth clap after a guy next to me looked at me funny when I was feebly clapping like an old lady. :-\  I look like the head of the fan club now, plus it shows my true appreciation to the performers.  8)

I just clap, sing, woo hoo, start whistle wars, get laid get fucked.....etc with the full on intent of truly obtaining that 'live' experience and archiving it for the ages..

Offline pmonk66

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #90 on: September 27, 2006, 07:09:05 PM »
My only problem is I can't go more than 10 inutes without taking a peek at my recorder to make sure the levels are fine, the thing is still on, etc...!

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #91 on: September 27, 2006, 07:24:13 PM »
ya just got to set it and forget it.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #92 on: September 27, 2006, 07:47:28 PM »
My only problem is I can't go more than 10 inutes without taking a peek at my recorder to make sure the levels are fine, the thing is still on, etc...!

..must...have....self-

dicipline
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #93 on: September 27, 2006, 10:00:35 PM »

..must...have....self-

dicipline
...especially to stealth Fripp.  Excellent reference. Excellent album. +t
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline dreyfuss

• Taperssection Regular
  • Team Canada
« Reply #94 on: October 07, 2006, 11:46:15 PM »
This was a great thread that I had missed when it was posted,

As everyone has pretty much stated, the real payoff is after the show when you listen to it, share it, give it to the band, etc

Countryman ISOMAX 2 -> Tascam DR100

Offline ThePhog

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2006, 03:38:49 PM »
Any other married people here?? Ever taped a show just for your spouse? That is the only time I will not have as much fun as normal...my wife loves Kid Rock, I think he is a tool. But doing one show for her makes it possible for me to travel all over the midwest to tape the bands I like. Small trade-off I guess.
"Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of the Phog!"

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #96 on: October 08, 2006, 06:17:39 PM »
Any other married people here?? Ever taped a show just for your spouse? That is the only time I will not have as much fun as normal...my wife loves Kid Rock, I think he is a tool. But doing one show for her makes it possible for me to travel all over the midwest to tape the bands I like. Small trade-off I guess.

You might make "kidrocklive" happy as well!

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=55104.0
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline ThePhog

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #97 on: October 10, 2006, 05:07:36 AM »
He played the same show in 2006 that he did in 2004...I've had to endure 3 shows in 2 years and that is too much. I think he played a few more hits this year but it was the same gimmick. I feel dirty even talking about it. That kidrocklive guy is a trip...I give him major credit for his enthusiasm.
"Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of the Phog!"

Offline beathydrolysis

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #98 on: October 11, 2006, 02:44:44 PM »

I know what you're saying.  I tape the ocassional gig for my girlfriend so she won't be upset when I want to go to a show that she has absolutely no interest in.  Then I gotta watch my rig like a hawk.  I was tapin Nickel Creek for her at Bonnaroo this and my rig went down during the second track.  I lost the first two tracks with that little disaster (thanks to all the dust at the Roo I think...boy was she dissappointed.  The only minutes I lost during the entire festival and it was during the show she wanted to see most. 
Take care of the tapers and the tapers will take care of you.

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #99 on: October 11, 2006, 05:21:41 PM »
Any other married people here?? Ever taped a show just for your spouse?

Nope. ;-)

Actually the only stuff she has any real interest in are things I've turned her onto. I have however, recorded a show for my daughter. But then those were shows that were fun too. Farmer Jason (aka Jason Ringenburg - Jason & The Scorchers), Joe McDermott. All fun stuff.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

RebelRebel

« Reply #100 on: October 11, 2006, 05:27:47 PM »
well, recording pays the bills now, so in a offhand way..each show I record is for her and my daughter.  :) They both go with me to the gigs when possible and love music..

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #101 on: October 11, 2006, 09:25:25 PM »

Ok, I've got you all beat.  My first wife ( yep, I'm with the 2nd one now) was also an engineering student while we were in college and while I was starting to be a Grateful dead Taper ( 1982 ish).  In 1984 she announced she wanted to buy her own TC D5M ( Portable cassette recorder- almost professional grade).  So we drove down to NYC and went to Uncle Steves and paid $499 for her brand spanking new D5.  This deck was at at least 200 Dead shows and recorded many many other shows before it got retired.  Yes, my taper friends, she "gave" it to me in the divorce settlement.  At many GD shows we were at we used her deck to patch from another source or  maybe be a back up on a second set of mics.
music IS love

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #102 on: October 12, 2006, 09:18:01 AM »

Ok, I've got you all beat.  My first wife ( yep, I'm with the 2nd one now) was also an engineering student while we were in college and while I was starting to be a Grateful dead Taper ( 1982 ish).  In 1984 she announced she wanted to buy her own TC D5M ( Portable cassette recorder- almost professional grade).  So we drove down to NYC and went to Uncle Steves and paid $499 for her brand spanking new D5.  This deck was at at least 200 Dead shows and recorded many many other shows before it got retired.  Yes, my taper friends, she "gave" it to me in the divorce settlement.  At many GD shows we were at we used her deck to patch from another source or  maybe be a back up on a second set of mics.

Nice! Did the second wife go digital?
It's like a taper dowery.

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2006, 03:03:42 PM »

Nice! Did the second wife go digital?
It's like a taper dowery.

Hehe, exceot she didn't have to catch her self on fire a few years after the wedding!!!!!!   (joke)
funny question: the second wife wants nothing to do with taping, she enjoys the music and lets me do my "taper thing".
music IS love

Offline F0CKER

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #104 on: October 14, 2006, 10:28:46 AM »
NOBODY! has more fun than we do!

Taping adds to the enjoyment from my experience.  And you'll meet a whole new group of friends who share the same dorky hobby.  Subculture within a subculture.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 10:30:27 AM by F0CKER »
Nevaton MC49 -> Sonosax SX-R4

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.318 seconds with 130 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com