Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Do tapers have fun at shows  (Read 22267 times)

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Do tapers have fun at shows
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2006, 01:15:37 PM »
when I taped I didnt have much fun because I am obsessive compulsive about my gear, so I was constantly checking levels, elbowing people away from me, etc.

Now I dont tape anymore and have a lot more fun at concerts. (I still record gigs, but only classical and in an employment setting)

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2006, 01:35:26 PM »
Keeping the dumbasses off your stand is the only real headache. Otherwise, I still dance around, drink beer and partake of the occassional.....whatever. We have a pretty good group of tapers in the SE and it's fun to get out and hang with friends that share a common interest.

true.  taping solo is not nearly as fun.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2006, 01:38:56 PM »
Yup, I used to be pretty obsessive about making the tape.  My behavior was so extreme in some cases that I earned myself a nickname among the fans of the bands I was archiving for at the time (the Silencer).

I rarely record shows for fun anymore, as it's become a business for me.  I still do get out and run from time to time though, just because it's something I've been doing for almost 20 years and dammit, it's still pretty fun sometimes.  I don't stress out about anything anymore though unless it's a paying gig.

Dirk
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2006, 01:40:04 PM »
Keeping the dumbasses off your stand is the only real headache. Otherwise, I still dance around, drink beer and partake of the occassional.....whatever. We have a pretty good group of tapers in the SE and it's fun to get out and hang with friends that share a common interest.

true.  taping solo is not nearly as fun.

QFT, Team SE represent!!!

I do have a habit of not taping shows I know will be taped by others, and looking for shows where I may be the only taper...  So I don't get to hang out as much...

T

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2006, 02:23:52 PM »
These people are mainly sellers, I reckon.

Not exactly.  At this point, I have a hard time not tracking out my recording the night I get home (which makes for a shitty next day at work).  I don't know what it is... I just feel a need to get it all squared away before my next show.  P.S. I have never sold a show.

Offline Tenn Man

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2006, 02:29:44 PM »
Yup, I used to be pretty obsessive about making the tape.  My behavior was so extreme in some cases that I earned myself a nickname among the fans of the bands I was archiving for at the time (the Silencer).

I rarely record shows for fun anymore, as it's become a business for me.  I still do get out and run from time to time though, just because it's something I've been doing for almost 20 years and dammit, it's still pretty fun sometimes.  I don't stress out about anything anymore though unless it's a paying gig.

Dirk

Dirk,

I haven't seen you at any John Cowan shows lately. Are you still recording any of his? I saw him at the Down Home last Saturday. I had run in to you there and at Somerset, KY.

Offline TeaLeafer

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2006, 09:57:26 PM »
Wow, thanks for the great responses, that clarifies a lot for me!

Thanks

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2006, 10:26:02 PM »
just to throw one more out there...

I have been on the fringe of the TS for years and years. had friends who taped and hung out nearby, bringing them beers carrying the stand in and happily reaping the benefits as a music collector. In those days I could easily move around, get loaded, spun, whatever but Id drift back toward the section because,

a) my friends were there
and
b) i do better in the more tame surroundings away from the lip.

Then I became a patcher for many of the same reasons but now I got to come home with the show...

Since then I've made a few forays into the field with borrowed gear. The results have been mixed (one great recording, one... not) but It's been fun so far...

:D
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2006, 10:34:23 PM »
I won't go to hear music I don't like just to record it. I went through a "taping isn't fun" stage, but I'm over it. I have fun and don't sweat it now. The all in one ACM PMD 671 has liberated me! :)
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline ~~~>

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2006, 10:35:37 PM »
Nah.  I hate going to shows.  The moment the show starts I'm looking at my watch wondering when it's gonna end so I can go home and listen to it.

Offline beefstew

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2006, 10:54:33 PM »
Nah.  I hate going to shows.  The moment the show starts I'm looking at my watch wondering when it's gonna end so I can go home and listen to it.

LOL best post ever ;D
*Audio*
Mics:
SP-CMC-19
Panasonic WM61a

Recorders:
MZ-RH910 (Hi-MD)
Sony TC-WE435 (CASS)

*Video*
Canon ZR-500 [Mini DV]
54" Tripod

I spend most of my money on gambling, booze, and women. The rest i spend foolishly.

Offline tfs8271

• Hand polished by Chris Lindsey
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2006, 12:22:05 AM »
The all in one ACM PMD 671 has liberated me! :)

Sweet Daddy +T

I know you were kidding, but...
It was the same here, twenty years ago and it wasn't to go home and listen to the show. Just to get to the hotel  ;). Sick old days.
A six pack a day, that's all we ask.

Neumann skm140>ACM Oade PMD660
or Oade Mod R4

Offline L Ron Hoover

• "I figure the odds be 50/50"
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2006, 12:29:02 AM »
I definately had a lot of fun taping at Blues Traveler tonight. Small crowd. 250-300 people, and they still brought it. Still worth the coin IMHO.

Offline Gizby

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2006, 12:39:40 AM »
Regardless of taping or not, I seem to be perennially stuck behind tall teenage guys at concerts. They just seem to know that I want to watch a performance, and they position themselves in front of me in packs.

Just say no to tall teenagers.
Mics: DSP mod Oktava MK012s, CAD E100S (2), Studio Projects C4s, SP-CMC-2, Polsen OLM-20
Preamps/BB: Sound Devices MixPre, SP-SPSB-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam DR‑05
Video: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4

Team SoCal

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2006, 12:42:26 AM »
The all in one ACM PMD 671 has liberated me! :)

Sweet Daddy +T

I know you were kidding, but...
It was the same here, twenty years ago and it wasn't to go home and listen to the show. Just to get to the hotel  ;). Sick old days.

Hahaha...  I run out to my car after shows and listen on the way home...  The benefits of JB3's line-out and an AUX input on my Alpine...

Terry

PS... I love technology...

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com