Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Do tapers have fun at shows  (Read 22299 times)

Offline bconnolly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
Re: Do tapers have fun at shows
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2006, 12:43:03 AM »
Regardless of taping or not, I seem to be perennially stuck behind tall teenage guys at concerts. They just seem to know that I want to watch a performance, and they position themselves in front of me in packs.

Just say no to tall teenagers.

I was taping from an elevated bar platform (like, 3' up) on Sunday night and a guy standing in front of the rail was blocking my view.  I was sitting at a table, but still... come on.

Offline bubbybooshay

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2006, 12:54:57 AM »
at open shows i have lots of fun, particularly if i am with other people and can throw back some drinks without worrying about my gear, at stealth shows i have lots of fun listening to the show afterwards ;)
mk41, c4's > nbox, Lunatec V3 > mt24/96, hdp2, sd722

Offline tenesejedd

• Taperssection Member
  • Never trust a woman who wears her pants too tight
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2006, 01:39:36 AM »
I definitly agree that some people take it way too seriously. My whole rig fits in a hard metal case (the kind you find at Lowes for Home Depot) so once my levels are set, I close the case, lock it up and go have some fun. I typically stay within eye sight of my gear and get a feel for the crowd. If its all good, then I'll wonder off and enjoy the show. There have been shows where I'll start recording, stay through the first song and a half and watch the levels, and then lock up and I don't see my rig until the end of the show.  If I get a good pull, then I'm happy, if my pull isn't worth listening to, then thats the advantage of the compact flash card and rechargeables... no money lost. For me, enjoying the show comes first. If I get a good pull and I can enjoy it over and over again, then thats a great bonus. And its those good pulls that keep me taping over and over again.
Avantone CK-1>Busman T-Mod FR2-LE
Edirol R-1

I see you scissoring me with your eyes...

Offline beathydrolysis

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2006, 01:59:57 AM »
I probably won't say anything that's not already been said but I have way, way more fun at a show when I'm taping vs. not taping.  The other tapers are right that there's the occassional concertgoer that forces you to watch your gear but its usually a non-issue.  Personally I prefer the view from the tapers section but that's not to say I feel chained to it.  If there's a tapers section, there's likely going to be more than one taper and tapers are great at protecting each others gear.  All you have to do is ask another taper to keep an eye on your rig and you can take off and party your ass off.  Then when you come back you return the favor (it's a great little system).

Also you can be pretty drunk and still handle your rig (you shouldn't even have to touch the levels during a show unless someone drops a bass bomb on you).  And any little effort you spend minding your gear is far eclipsed by the enjoyment you'll get listening to the show on the way home/the next day at work, etc.  I taped my ass off at Bonnaroo and 10klf this summer and don't regret a single moment (I'm sitting on 30 hours of tunes from 10klf alone, post-editing them as we speak, and loving my life).  I stealth a lot too and that can be a different story.  Stealthing requires a lot more effort and self restraint (depending on how much you value a "quality" recording) but you can get some amazing pulls and it is a definite thrill.  'nough said.  Go out and tape, you won't regret it.
Take care of the tapers and the tapers will take care of you.

Offline svenkid

• Needs to get out more...
  • Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2006, 02:10:50 AM »
Ive been recording for about 6 years now. at first I patched only from a great sbd at cafe tomo and always partied and was amazed at how easy things were  :P
Whenever I patched out of actual tapers, I always tried to stay in the section to watch gear, block drunks etc. I was also in a stage of getting older (and wiser  8)) and actually enjoyed being in the back more, better sights and sound.

when Im taping 90% im the only taper. I usually have to stay by my rig the whole show, but I dont mind, cause I usually get best sight and sound. I have some friends who occasionally bring me beers, but I usually just stay sober so I can also drive home. sometimes for intown sgows, Ill lock the gear in the car and walk home if there's a show at the humboldt brewery  :drunk: but if I have to drive to a show a ways away, Im definately driving back.

Taping is fun and enjoyable. I love it bc in a way, its like Im part of many bands, putting in time at shows, and sometimes working as diligently as the artists on stage  ;)
and Its a trip and a half if you become an archivist for a band, or introduce them to the whole taping thing.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 02:12:44 AM by svenkid »
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline tfs8271

• Hand polished by Chris Lindsey
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2006, 02:17:03 AM »
humboldt brewery 

??? Not really one of these anymore. But there is Humboldt Brews  ;D  ;)

edit: spelling [shit]
A six pack a day, that's all we ask.

Neumann skm140>ACM Oade PMD660
or Oade Mod R4

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2006, 02:24:41 AM »
There has never been any question in my mind that I enjoy recording opposed to NOT recording.  In fact, when I attend shows without my gear, my mind often wanders back to my gear...enough to change my focus.

For me, what really changed my attitudes and approach was my show-going experience.  When I was young, dumb and full of cumb, it was nice not having anything to worry about.  Then again, that was 20 years ago, and taping was not in my mind yet.  As I aged, went to over 1500 shows, the "been there, done that" attitude was kept in check by introducing recording in to the mix.  I can honestly say that the last 10-15 years of taping have steadily gotten better, and continue to do so.  I continue to learn, I continue to make contacts, I continue to become more and more a part of each show I attend.  I used to leave a concert with a hangover and a ticket stub.  Now I leave with a hangover, a ticket stub, and a well planned out evening of recording and the show itself.

+t by the way for the question.  That's an important aspect of recording.  If you're going to lose something in the experience, you probably shouldn't do it.
Socks are overrated.

Offline tfs8271

• Hand polished by Chris Lindsey
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2006, 02:28:22 AM »
There has never been any question in my mind that I enjoy recording opposed to NOT recording.  In fact, when I attend shows without my gear, my mind often wanders back to my gear...enough to change my focus.

For me, what really changed my attitudes and approach was my show-going experience.  When I was young, dumb and full of cumb, it was nice not having anything to worry about.  Then again, that was 20 years ago, and taping was not in my mind yet.  As I aged, went to over 1500 shows, the "been there, done that" attitude was kept in check by introducing recording in to the mix.  I can honestly say that the last 10-15 years of taping have steadily gotten better, and continue to do so.  I continue to learn, I continue to make contacts, I continue to become more and more a part of each show I attend.  I used to leave a concert with a hangover and a ticket stub.  Now I leave with a hangover, a ticket stub, and a well planned out evening of recording and the show itself.

+t by the way for the question.  That's an important aspect of recording.  If you're going to lose something in the experience, you probably shouldn't do it.

WOW +T around...feelin' drunk  ;D good night
A six pack a day, that's all we ask.

Neumann skm140>ACM Oade PMD660
or Oade Mod R4

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2006, 05:20:49 AM »
These people are mainly sellers, I reckon.

Not exactly.  At this point, I have a hard time not tracking out my recording the night I get home (which makes for a shitty next day at work).  I don't know what it is... I just feel a need to get it all squared away before my next show.  P.S. I have never sold a show.

Well, not everyone is a seller and I'm sure there is none here also.  :)
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

Offline funkoff13

• wishes leisure suits would come back in style.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • strawberry fields central park november 2008
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2006, 07:58:32 AM »
for the most part yes.  it varies depending on the venue, crowd, me.

if it wasnt fun we wouldnt do it.

afterwards its always worth it when those headphones go on in the car.

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2006, 08:44:32 AM »
I always have fun taping. For one, I tape music I like, not just because the band is taper friendly. I generally see/tape folk music. The crowds are usually very well behaved and quiet. My fiancee enjoys the same music too. I'm usually the only taper, which has good and bad points. The folk community is very grassroots and are always very appreciative of the archival efforts of tapers.

I recently went to see GRAB and there were some moments of near stress with blocking stands, talkers, etc. I don't think I would enjoy taping as much if I had to deal with that environment each show. As it is, I don't like seeing shows in that type of environment very often anyway - taping or not.

Offline cyfan

• Taperssection Member
  • It's not personal
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2006, 09:16:00 AM »
I have as much fun taping shows now as when I started. But I do find it nice sometimes to just scrap the mics and run a JB3 board patch that I can essentially ignore until the end of the show. (I only do this on solo acoustic shows, stuff with DI boxes, things I know will sound OK). It's a little more low-stress, no gear to haul around, easy breakdown for fast exit ...

On the other hand, I have not kept the same joy for the transfers/mastering process. Given that I run a lotta multi-tracks and do some post matrix work, it sometimes means spending a long time at the PC at home to tweek them into shape.

Still nothing like nailing a sweet recording of a performer you dig though ...

tim
Superlux HK8 > Edirol UA-5 > JB3
Multi-tracker: Fostex VF 160 EX

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2006, 09:21:22 AM »
Here's my view on it.  Right now I have a hell of a lot of fun recording my music and my friends, even with the less than wonderful equipment I have.  I love concerts, and even with as many fun experiences I've had on the rail, I would love to put out just a smoking recording for myself to enjoy and hopefully someone else can enjoy that concert as much as I did.  This all started because I absolutely love listening to fan recorded shows, all things recording are of interest to me, and because I feel that shows by good bands deserve to be preserved.

That said, I'm starting small, for both financial and logical reasons.  Anyone want to sell me a 3-wire box?  :P
Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2006, 09:37:28 AM »
i really enjoy taping and i stealth.  i guess its becuase i think i am doing something--i guess i am wound up tight--just cant relax, but as the years pass from the shows i have taped, then i go back to listen to them again it brings back the memories of that show so vividly.  Its like the time is in the fabric of my skin

Offline tenesejedd

• Taperssection Member
  • Never trust a woman who wears her pants too tight
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2006, 12:48:12 PM »
QFT
........ but as the years pass from the shows i have taped, then i go back to listen to them again it brings back the memories of that show so vividly.  Its like the time is in the fabric of my skin

I think my favorite thing about taping is that every show I tape has a story behind it. Whether its something cool the band did, new friends that I made, seeing old friends I haven't seen in a long long time, etc.
Avantone CK-1>Busman T-Mod FR2-LE
Edirol R-1

I see you scissoring me with your eyes...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com