Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What does a good tape sound like?  (Read 8537 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: What does a good tape sound like?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2006, 11:17:18 AM »
What did you tape a cappella?  Was it a group, choir, or solo?

Group my father runs and in which my father, brother, and sister (and previously uncle) sing:  Coriolis.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline CQBert

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Sunset in Zilker Park
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2006, 11:49:37 AM »
I have great recordings of mediocre shows that I hardly ever listen to and mediocre recordings of great shows I listen to religiously.... frustrating sometimes...   ???

What is a great recording?  What is the meaing if life?   :-\

When I started I loved my giant squids > minidisc sound for what it was....  then my ADK > V3 > D8... have great stuff there too.... now its borrowed Schopes stealth, my u89's all 24 bits.

They are all good to someone - you may love your recording of your favorite band and it may sound like crap to someone else, does it really matter in the end?

This is a hobby/obsession that generates different results from different equipment in different environments every day.  We are lucky that so much is recorded, there is a much better chance of catching the gems that pop up.  

I for one know that I am thankful that I can track down my favorite bands recorded in different locations and still be surprised by what I hear - good and bad...

Relax and Enjoy - everyone is out there doing the best they can with what they have.

CQBert
Sennheiser MKH 8040 (Matched) > Sound Devices 702

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2006, 11:57:33 AM »
I have great recordings of mediocre shows that I hardly ever listen to and mediocre recordings of great shows I listen to religiously.... frustrating sometimes...   ???

What is a great recording?  What is the meaing if life?   :-\

When I started I loved my giant squids > minidisc sound for what it was....  then my ADK > V3 > D8... have great stuff there too.... now its borrowed Schopes stealth, my u89's all 24 bits.

They are all good to someone - you may love your recording of your favorite band and it may sound like crap to someone else, does it really matter in the end?

This is a hobby/obsession that generates different results from different equipment in different environments every day.  We are lucky that so much is recorded, there is a much better chance of catching the gems that pop up.  

I for one know that I am thankful that I can track down my favorite bands recorded in different locations and still be surprised by what I hear - good and bad...

Relax and Enjoy - everyone is out there doing the best they can with what they have.

CQBert

righto..  its all about the gems..
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2006, 06:41:34 PM »
What did you tape a cappella?  Was it a group, choir, or solo?

Group my father runs and in which my father, brother, and sister (and previously uncle) sing:  Coriolis.

Thanks for the link.  That looks really interesting.

How do you approach those recordings...onstage, stagelip....?
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2006, 08:48:03 PM »
a "good tape" will sound just like it did live
if you can capture the sound on tape as it sounded live you will have a good tape, unless it sounded like crap live  :P
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RebelRebel

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2006, 04:36:37 AM »
Check out Moke's recordings, VA_Taper (search for chris berryman at archive.org) skalinder, many others.
Hey, a thought struck me. I have been thinking that the stuff tapers do inherently must sound bad. I mean, down at the lawn among noisy people, taping stuff going out of those stinking PA stacks, how can it ever be any good? I guess I am wrong, but need a bit of help. Can you point me to an mp3 (or whatever) taper stuff that you think sounds really good that I can download and use to change my opinion?

Gunnar

Offline baustin

• Trade Count: (4)

RebelRebel

RebelRebel

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2006, 07:55:15 AM »
I hope it sticks around too. The fact that the converter companies and DAW folks are creating DSD/DXD compatible gear is encouraging. I am not so hopeful about SACD, but the DSD/DXD medium will be around for a long time, I feel. DSD/DXD is especially great for acoustic music, as it reveals every little nuance. High Res PCM is great too. As long as the audiophile folks keep demand up... ;D

DSD is an amazing format. :keeps fingers crossed for a Tascam portable:
The first song that I posted "doesn't suck", was mastered in DSD. And the version heard here was an analog transfer, DSD->Analog out->722@2496->resample->mp3

http://www.archive.org/details/glen2005-08-30.dsd.flac

Offline JiB97

• Trade Count: (12)
    • My Archive Bookmarks
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2006, 04:57:11 PM »
AKG ck3/ck8 | c460b  + Naiant Actives | PFAs
Audio Technica u853r (omnis/mini-guns)
Tascam DR-70D

My Archive Links

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 11:07:33 PM by Max Power »
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2006, 06:36:06 AM »
I agree completely...especially the banter by the band.  I can NEVER understand what bands are saying between songs, go home and listen to my recording and can hear every word clear as can be.
Use earplugs.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2006, 10:01:43 AM »
I hope it sticks around too. The fact that the converter companies and DAW folks are creating DSD/DXD compatible gear is encouraging. I am not so hopeful about SACD, but the DSD/DXD medium will be around for a long time, I feel. DSD/DXD is especially great for acoustic music, as it reveals every little nuance. High Res PCM is great too. As long as the audiophile folks keep demand up... ;D

The HUGE difference there is that PCM is a completely open format.  I can build my own PCM playback gear if it comes to that (both because it is simple and because I won't get sued).

DSD/SACD are closed and proprietary.  Even if you could figure it out, they'd sue you. For that reason I will never use it. No way am I putting my recordings into someone else's closed format.

In 50 years, PCM will still be easily decoded.  But DSD/SACD?

RebelRebel

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2006, 11:16:48 AM »
Yep, everything is backed up to PCM. Youve decided that it is not worth it to you to have DSD compatibility. Many echo that feeling. But for me, anything I can do to squeeze one more drop of better sound out of my recordings is worth it to me. 1200 bucks for a machine with good converters seemed like a no brainer.

Not to mention that when I start my own business, DSD/DXD compatibility is good to have. A lot of Classical Titles go to DSD/DXD/SACD/HDCD

The HUGE difference there is that PCM is a completely open format.  I can build my own PCM playback gear if it comes to that (both because it is simple and because I won't get sued).

DSD/SACD are closed and proprietary.  Even if you could figure it out, they'd sue you. For that reason I will never use it. No way am I putting my recordings into someone else's closed format.

In 50 years, PCM will still be easily decoded.  But DSD/SACD?

thats why we backup to 2496pcm
2.82mhz@1bit->analog->2496pcm

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2006, 10:03:59 PM »
I think My recent Gregg & Warren From red Rocks last weekend Turned out pretty well .

Taped from about 60' from the stage DFC front row in the section
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=500010

Dont judge the book by its cover.

AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com