Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Do you ever EQ your recordings in post?  (Read 6571 times)

Offline baustin

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Do you ever EQ your recordings in post?
« on: September 30, 2006, 03:09:58 AM »
Do any of you ever edit your recordings with an equalizer to give lows, mids or highs a boost after the fact? Do you edit via analog or digital equipment? Do you ever seed these recordings?

Personally, I don't really have the time to spend on all of my recordings, but I tend to like a bit of a treble boost, whether it be AUD or SBD. Maybe I need a brighter preamp.

-ba
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 03:18:20 AM by baustin »

Offline baustin

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: Do you ever EQ your recordings in post?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 03:17:43 AM »
PS - Currently listening to a fresh transfer of moe. 09-11-1997 DSBD that seems not to have been seeded anywhere. Obviously I'm gonna seed the master, but I think it gains alot from a slight boost to the highs. Don't know. It just got me thinking.

Online Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 04:33:42 AM »
I do whatever makes my recording sound best to me. Frequently I'll add a little to the high end. Just the way I like it, I guess.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 07:53:56 AM »
Yep, I always have. a good idea though, is to listen to it on a couple of different playback devices (if you are going to spread it) for translation purposes..and document whatever you do.

it might be your listening space too, Baustin..getting a room treated or positioned differently can make a drastic difference.

Offline anhisr

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 09:04:59 AM »
When I use the KM 150's I have to add a little low end to the mix.  The cut off the low end a little early for me.
Audio: Neumann KM 100> 20, 30, 40, 43 or 50 > V3 > MT II (love that M/S)
Still Camera Body: Canon D5 Mark II
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

archive  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/anhisr

BobW

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 09:38:43 AM »
If I record LSD2 & FR-2 T-mod, I always cut bass somewhere when recording rock, especially in a large venue.
If not at the mic, at the deck or in post.

Basscut in post is a tricky thing.
What sounds good on one system can sound like ass on another.
I have gotten a feel for my current monitors and the visuals, so I have a starting point.
I then make CDs and listen in two cars (one high-end, one low) and on the mothership, my home system.
If I like it overall, I call it done.

Now other processing... I have LPF or high-cut when I had mics positioned at horns and the highs were tiring.
I have de-essed small stealth mics when they picked up audience chatter that had loud, high essing  (swwsss sounds).
This was from a pair of chatty young ladies that were too good to look at to chase away from the  mics.      ;D

100% of the time done DSP, with software processing in Wavelab, SF, or, usually, Adobe Audition.

The "secret" is to take time to do it, listen to what you have changed allot and on different systems, and even get a 2nd opinion, if you are unsure.
Also worth noting is that if you plan to do audio editing, take good care of your ears.
See:
HEARING NEWS

Offline CQBert

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Sunset in Zilker Park
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 09:49:57 AM »
When I archive I always keep a RAW file and when I burn for myself I will sometimes EQ a little based on the room.  Sometimes a show is just a little heavy or shy in one area > fix that little bit and BOOM ! instant relief.

CQBert
Sennheiser MKH 8040 (Matched) > Sound Devices 702

Offline Teen Age Riot

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 09:50:26 AM »
Until about two years ago, I always added EQ. Then I upgraded my playback system, and suddenly many older recordings that I had messed with sounded terrible. That's why I stopped doing it.
I would say, if you edit your recording just for your own listening pleasure (and playback devices), then do whatever sounds good to you. But if you intend to circulate it, do as little as possible, if anything at all. Once it's out there, people will do all kinds of crazy s**t with it anyway...

Offline gtalife

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2006, 07:11:24 PM »
Yes, as the raw recording sounds different depending on venue, where i tape from and how the band sounds via the the PA system. Typically I usually add low end to my recording with the set up i use. SBD recordings is another situation i have  to EQ depending on how the mix is from the board.

i usually prcoecess the recording, listen to it for a couple of days via car stereo, home stereo and work stereo.
 if adjustments need to be made then i do it. But usually if the recording rocks and sounds great via my vintage
home HI FI with my ESS speakers it's a good one!

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2006, 08:44:16 PM »
I used to, but now I don't find it worth the effort.

Offline jkbyram

• Taperssection Underachiever
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2006, 09:04:43 AM »
no, never. i found they sounded better on a variety of systems better if left alone.

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 11:24:14 PM »
I really dont EQ but I do use L3 ultramaximizer or BBE maximizer plug ins while using PEAK  to normalize and increase gain to give a bigger boulder sound

Offline 612

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2006, 12:17:38 PM »
I'm kind of a purist. I used to normalize everything but stopped. I usually try to run my levels pretty conservative out of the UA-5 just to play it safe but I have tried to push em a bit further lately now that I'm comfortable with the UA-5 and h120 meters.

At the most I just boost the levels a bit giving the recording a little gain but lately there have been a few recordings that I'm happy with as is and have not done any post-production to....I'm sure improvements could be made, I just haven't taken the time to teach myself the needed skills.
Empty's Tapes & My recordings on the LMA

"Keep active, stay positive..." - a wise man

Offline batchain

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2006, 09:19:05 AM »
I'm kind of a purist. I used to normalize everything but stopped. I usually try to run my levels pretty conservative out of the UA-5 just to play it safe but I have tried to push em a bit further lately now that I'm comfortable with the UA-5 and h120 meters.

Say you have your levels set around mid point on both the UA-5 and h120. When you need to bump up the gain a bit is it best to increase it on the UA-5 or on the recorder? Or is there no difference - gain is gain?
Primary: Peluso CEMC6/CK-4/CK-21 > Fostex FR2-LE or Tascam DR-680
Secondary: Edirol R09-HR

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.318 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com