Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: explain how you archive your shows  (Read 6260 times)

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA collection
explain how you archive your shows
« on: December 17, 2006, 05:31:28 PM »
I am curious how everyone goes about archiving the shows they tape.  I don't have a set process yet, I have a ton of Master files burned to DVD, but those are not very useful if you want to burn the show to CDR @16/44.  With the cost of DVDRs I'm almost thinking 2 DVDRs per show, one with the original 24 bit wavs, one with the tracked 16/44 wavs and FLAC seed directory.

What are your best practices?
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline willyjbrown

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: explain how you archive your shows
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 08:42:22 PM »
I got a 250gb external hd off of ebay for $70 (good price in my opinion), so I keep the original .wav files on there along with some other stuff. Beats the hell out of keeping up with discs...

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 10:40:11 PM »
I got a 250gb external hd off of ebay for $70 (good price in my opinion), so I keep the original .wav files on there along with some other stuff. Beats the hell out of keeping up with discs...

What do you plan to do if when the HDD dies?  It will fail eventually, sooner or later.

Since starting to use Samplitude, I've modified my archiving a bit.  I now keep:

• original WAVs (FLAC'd), project files, and 24-bit tracked WAVs (for listening, also FLAC'd) on my HDD
  • original WAVs (FLAC'd) and project files on optical media (DVD)
  • final 16-bit and 24-bit edited and tracked WAVs distributed to the broader music-loving community as an off-site backup of sorts

One of these days I'll copy my HDDs to a spare drive and stash it off-site at a family member's house.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 12:05:05 AM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 11:02:51 PM »
1. Transfer from NJB3>CreativePlayCenter>PC extra HD 250GB
2. If need I tweak w/ Wav Lab 5 but always save as and keep untouched wav file saved
3. Take new version(after WL5) or copy and use CDWAV to track
4. Make flac files and ffp.txt using Frontend and keep new wav files to burn to CDR
5. Make CDR(s) of show using Nero 5 and also burn DVDR w/ master WAV and flac files
6. Upload show if LMA friendly to LMA and then erase copy on HD and NJB3 after 100% sure its complete
Peace
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 11:04:50 PM »
WAV's of 24 bit and 16 bit on DVD as data. FLAC's of the same material on a hard drive.

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 11:41:50 PM »
Probably not the best way but I recently put together a new PC.  In the process I made my old one a RAID 3 server.  I keep all processed 16 and 24 bit shows on the server for direct access.  I also back up those two copies along with the original untouched source to DVD-R. 
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 07:44:04 AM »
FLAC unedited WAVs, burn to CD/DVD as data.  One copy stays here, one goes to my taping buddy's house.
Tracked and edited shows stay on hard disk here and at my buddy's.
Make some attempt at mass distribution (archive.org, etc.) as a wide base backup of sorts.

Worst comes to worst, there's almost always someone I've given the show to burned as audio who takes care of his/her discs that I could borrow to EAC if I absolutely had to.
Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 07:49:46 AM »
I burn everything to DVD, usually it's 2 or 3 discs per show.
1) untracked, raw, master 24 bit WAV files
2) tracked and FLACed 24 bit files
3) tracked and FLACed 16/44.1 files

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 09:54:18 AM »
Here is how I do it:

I create a folder for each "project", that is each performance. Like a lot of people I don't use tape anymore, so for me it goes like this:

• Original 24-bit timecoded broadcast wave files
  • 24-bit SD2 files created by Digital Performer
  • Digital Performer project
  • 24-bit bounced 2-track file
  • 16/44.1 dithered 2-track with track markers
  • 24-bit ISO image for DVD-A of a project

I then just burn all of these to DVD discs, which can be quite a chore. This is one of the reasons I have three 400 GB drives and nearly all of them are packed. I have to archive a bunch off, then I can start working on some older projects that I've never gotten around to working on.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 10:01:57 AM »
this same thing came up not to long ago. here is more info on archiving....

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=71406.0

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 11:41:45 AM »
I take the tape and put it in its clear box, and put it on the shelf.............. :P
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 01:38:42 PM »
1) all my old dats sent to off-site location
2) shows now are burnt to dvd-data discs, mostly flac16 and 24 folders, some are just wave folders.
3) make 2 copies of each dvd, keep one at my house, one at the off-site location.
4) when possible, get shows uploaded to LMA.
5) burn cdr copies for people and spread them around (esp. to the band themselves).

Its a labour of love really!
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline T.J.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Always look on the Bright Side of Life
    • My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 04:30:51 PM »
i am in the process of archiving a lot of shows from the past 2 years. here is my method:

1 Data DVD-R
     -w/ untouched WAV masters (16/44.1)
     -tracked/edited WAV files
     -info and ffp text files
     -.cue files for CDWave so i don't have to track out masters for future use.

1 Data DVD-R
     -w/ untouched WAV masters (16/44.1)
     -tracked/edited FLAC files
     -info and ffp text files
     -.cue files for CDWave so i don't have to track out masters for future use.

Audio CDR Copy

I store 1 DVD-R in a Case Logic binder and the other in a Slim Jewel Case. the audio copies go in Tyvek Sleves. Everything is being stored in chronological order. i am also putting a binder together with binder and bin locations to easily find & keep everything in order.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2006, 05:14:18 PM »
OK, here goes: for 24/96 :) All these are Verbatim DVD-R(Best quality on the market) >:D

Disc 1+2: (Set1/2)24-Bit DATA Untracked/Unedited(RAW 722 WAVS) WAVS w/ md5's/cue sheets(since there are 2 WAVS per set)
Disc 3+4: (Set1/2)24-Bit DATA Untracked/Edited WAVS WITH GAIN ADDED w/ md5's/cue sheets(since there are 2 WAVS per set)
Disc 5+6: (Set1/2)24-Bit Flac'd copies of all of the 24-Bit Material(Untracked/Edited/Unedited) these mostly fit onto one DVD-R per set
Disc 7: FLAC24. folders saved to one DVD-R
Disc 8: FLAC16. folders saved to one DVD-R

PLUS I archive.org/bt.etree ALOT of stuff :) I archive BOTH my 16/24-Bit filesets onton Archive.org if the bands are allowed :) I only etree my flac16 folders on bt.etree.org, no desire to BT my 24-Bit flacs

Never realized it took THAT many DVD-R's per 2 set show. obviously a one set show is half that many discs and my flac24 and flac16 DVD-R's have multiple shows on them so...

I rolled 24/44.1k and 24/48 ALOT this summer and at festies so the process wasnt as grueling, especially at festies where each band only played 2 hrs MAX, most times less :) 24/44.1k is a lazy way to do 24-Bit but youre stilla chieving MUCH better dynamics and overall headroom and lower self-noise, so 24/44.1k is FIBE for PA music IMO, I just run 24/96 because I can with the 722's HD and an 8GB CF Card :) unless you roll 24/96, there is no reason to roll 24/48 IMO, just an extra step for in post not too much more bandwidth IMO. are DVD-A's 24/48 or above tho? not sure about that, if so, i guess I would run 24/48. but for PA recording in a resolution higher than 24/44.1k, unless you have HDD space to throw away like me, is useless IMO >:D and come on, tell it isnt nice to open a whole set in post in wavelab/soundforge/audacity/etc and not have to worry about the 2GB limit as much :) Open your 24/441.k wav, add gain if necessary(if recording in 24-bit correctly, you SHOULD have to add gain IMO, to leave that extra headroom for dynamics at the show and run levels conservatively), anyway, open 24/44.1k WAV, add gain, save WAV with added gain, dither with your fav dithering scheme, render/save output file, trackin in cdwave/etc, save cue sheet, open 24/44.1k file with gain added in cdwave/etc, load cue sheet save all outputs to WAV, FLAC and make text files/ffp's/md5's of existing folders and done

HELL of alot easier than opening 24/96 files in your favorite DAE program except for Wavelab 6.0(which ahs a 4.0GB limit) then chop up halfway thru the set in cdwave, save 24/96 files where splits are halfway thru set so they process in wavelab(w/ 24-bit temp files) without choking, reopen in wavelab/etc, add gain, save, resample(process in place) dither(create new 16-bit file) rejoin files where needed, save, re-do the same for 16-bvit files, save. and THEN since your 24/96 files are bigger than your 16-bit files when you open your 16-bit cue sheet you have to still track the rest of the set where the 16-bit cue doesnt fill in the 24/96 WAV since tyhe other half of the 24/96 WAV isnt open in your cdwave window

you could always avoid this and track your 24/96 files first(def the way to do it) BUT they take FOREVER to open/save, and a 16-bit cue sheet is ALWAYS gonna be quicker/easier to modify in the future IMO :) I save all of my cue sheets with my 24-bit untracked DATA WAVA/FLACS tho so theyre easy to get to either way

24/96 or 22/44.1k for this fool 8)

sorry for the rambling. Im going against even my own rules and am gonna roll 24/96 for both nites of RAQ NYE just for the highest resolution possible but at the same tiome leaning against it. at 24/96 writing to the cf card/INHDD i can easily get it on the HDD, BUT I would like the safety of writing to both mediums for the whole NYE run, and without a card reader>HDD option im kinda limited, altho I could always run CF Card>722INHDD inbetween sets but tahts just sucks more power so........I might run 24/44.1k both days. easier to deal with in post work PLUS I can get around 8 hrs on the 8GB CF Card compared to just 4hrs@24/96....I could easily get the whole NYE run@24/44.1k so I think thats what I'm gonna do

Anyway, latenight drunk/baked ramblings from yours truely :smoking:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 10:14:13 PM by Bean »
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Jhurlbs81

• My LMA collection
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2006, 09:45:13 PM »
8 disks for each show you tape @24/96?!  You should look into Dual Layer discs dude.
FREE JERRYFREAK!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com