Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: first setup question  (Read 10528 times)

Offline atxwolfattack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: first setup question
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2007, 01:27:42 PM »
opps i ment the output level nob on the 9000, sorry. What is the relation between the output level nob on the 9000 to gain.

The output knob on the 9000 works like this say you have set your three level gain switch on the +10 db setting on the 9000 preamp. But at that setting your still a little hot for your recorders input or you need to quickly turn down because the next band in the show you have been taping is a lot louder you can reach for this output level control instead of having to find the level control on your recorder in the dark. So its just a attenuation for the Output of the preamp. It does not effect the input gain what so ever.

okay, thats what i though, so on the 9000, you basically can select one of the 3 gain switches, and they tweek the output to compensate for where your levels are peaking on your device.

sorry for all these questions, when you turn down the output knob on the 9000, it is only reducing the amount of gain OUT of the preamp and INTO the recording device. Maybe i am overthinking this.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 01:31:05 PM by atxwolfattack »

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2007, 01:31:58 PM »
opps i ment the output level nob on the 9000, sorry. What is the relation between the output level nob on the 9000 to gain.

The output knob on the 9000 works like this say you have set your three level gain switch on the +10 db setting on the 9000 preamp. But at that setting your still a little hot for your recorders input or you need to quickly turn down because the next band in the show you have been taping is a lot louder you can reach for this output level control instead of having to find the level control on your recorder in the dark. So its just a attenuation for the Output of the preamp. It does not effect the input gain what so ever.

okay, thats what i though, so on the 9000, you basically can select one of the 3 gain switches, and they tweek the output to compensate for where your levels are peaking on your device.

Dam why didn't I say it that way in the first place. Yes your correct. Its a simple way to quickly get your levels up or down in an emergency situation where you have a show level change.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline atxwolfattack

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2007, 07:50:11 PM »
okay, well once i get a hold of a recording device in the next few days, i am gonna order the church audio preamp and mics, then i will have my first setup. I have recently found out that most of the venues in austin are pretty cool with tapers, but it just seems easier to get a stealth rig and then not have to worry about always being extra strealthy when i dont need to, or be stealthy when i do need.

The only thing i am bummed about is, having to stand so still, and not even being able to quetly sing along with the music. I am not one of the people that screams out loud, but i know if i do any singing what so ever, the mics will pick it up. Is it a bad idea to even tap your foot when you are recording, like do you have to be pretty freaking still when you have the mics on your hat?

Well, i will never know if i dont try, and i am guessing that if i dont end up liking taping shows, i will be able to find people to buy my equipment, and hopefully i dont lose more than 50-100 bucks.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2007, 09:09:51 PM »
okay, well once i get a hold of a recording device in the next few days, i am gonna order the church audio preamp and mics, then i will have my first setup. I have recently found out that most of the venues in austin are pretty cool with tapers, but it just seems easier to get a stealth rig and then not have to worry about always being extra strealthy when i dont need to, or be stealthy when i do need.

The only thing i am bummed about is, having to stand so still, and not even being able to quetly sing along with the music. I am not one of the people that screams out loud, but i know if i do any singing what so ever, the mics will pick it up. Is it a bad idea to even tap your foot when you are recording, like do you have to be pretty freaking still when you have the mics on your hat?

Well, i will never know if i dont try, and i am guessing that if i dont end up liking taping shows, i will be able to find people to buy my equipment, and hopefully i dont lose more than 50-100 bucks.

You should try to be still but if your mics are in a good position it should be ok if you move abit. Remember your not there to have fun your there to get good audio sing along to the music after its recorded. :)

Offline atxwolfattack

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2007, 09:58:49 PM »
i guess i will just have to duck tape my mouth so i can sing, but no noise comes out, haha.

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2007, 01:30:54 PM »
Lip sync.  I do it even when open taping, plus it helps you look more normal if you're doing the renegade bit.
Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

Offline mjochimthai

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2007, 05:37:23 AM »
I've gotten pretty good at mouthing/"singing" along without any sound coming out of my mouth - mostly (I recorded Clapton in Bangkok the other night and you can hear my "holy shit" after a particularly tasty solo in "Little Wing" ::) ).

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2007, 09:56:13 AM »
I refer to it as "air-singing", like "air-guitar"
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Offline atxwolfattack

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2007, 10:40:12 PM »
i guess this will sound like a dumb question, but is it a bad idea if i clap after songs? I would feel kind of like an idiot if i didnt clap after hearing bands that i really like alot. Since everyone around me will be clapping, does it matter, or will it really pick mine up much more, if say, my mics are clipped to my hat or collar?

thank!

josh

Offline phatDats4u

• Balloon Slayer
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • The best things are not things
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2007, 11:09:16 PM »
Think about your mics as your ears.
MC930's > Mini-Me > MTII

My shows on archive

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2007, 10:43:46 AM »
i guess this will sound like a dumb question, but is it a bad idea if i clap after songs? I would feel kind of like an idiot if i didnt clap after hearing bands that i really like alot. Since everyone around me will be clapping, does it matter, or will it really pick mine up much more, if say, my mics are clipped to my hat or collar?

thank!

josh

YES IT'S A BAD IDEA  ::)  :)

Offline habit

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Archive Shows
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2007, 10:32:22 PM »

thank!

josh

You don't have to make noise to look like your clapping. :)
Busman Mod R4 Pro | Schoeps M222 | Schoeps MK4 & 41

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com