Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What's the point of recording at 48/96...  (Read 12001 times)

Offline Duncan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
What's the point of recording at 48/96...
« on: June 22, 2007, 08:42:23 AM »
...when the source is a stack of speakers in a crowded room?

Would you ever hear the difference between that rate and 16/44100

Is it over kill?

Duncan
Recording for 39 years and counting, down not up
Schoeps CCM5--SD722
DPA 4061--SD722
AKG CK 61-ULS--Naiant Actives--SD722
DPA 4061 - DPA d:VICE - iPhone 6s+
MixPre6 with some mics

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
Re: What's the point of recording at 48/96...
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 11:53:56 AM »
I assume you mean 24/96, and not 48/96.
personally, everything I record these day is 24/96, for a few reasons...

1) I can definitely hear a difference over 16/44.1.  it sounds more "real, lifelike, and natural"

2) I often record music that is fairly dynamic.  the 24 bit resolution allows me to set the levels a bit more conservatively, and not worry about "wasting bits" by not running my levels high enough.

3) when I downsample/dither a show to 16/44.1 format for CDs, often times, my primary listening environment is my car.  in that situation, a very dynamic recording is often tough to listen to.  because of this, many times I'll apply some compression.  usually just a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio.  for any sort of processing, I've found the results to be much more pleasant when the original recording is at 24 bit.  much fewer digital artifacts.  and of course, I still have the original 24 bit version, unedited and uncompressed, to listen to when I'm at home and listening on my nice playback system.

and lastly, digital storage is relatively cheap these days.  so why not record at the higher resolutions if it is available to you.

but, on the other hand, with my new 16 gig CF card, I could, in theory, be recording at 24/192 and still get 4 hours of recording time, enough for most shows.  yet, I choose to record at 24/96, because I've deemed 24/192 "overkill" and I think 24/96 is just dandy.  so ultimately, you may decide that 24/96 is "overkill" and that's your choice to make.  personally, though, I think 24/96 it's worthwhile.

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 11:59:34 AM »
I agree with Jason.  I also tend to record a lot of "acoustic" music, either on stage/ stage lip or even unamplified sources.  Therefore I am wanting to capture everything that I can with my recording, and 24/96 will give me just that.

I can also hear an immediate difference between redbook (16/44.1) and 24/96 even with my PA recordings.  I don't know how to compare the 2, but I had never heard my mics sound the way they do when I first started running 24/96.

When hi-res audio becomes more standard in a few years, I will be thankful that I spent the extra time and hard drive space recording 24/96 now.  I'll be able to enjoy them much more for a long time in the future.

:)
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 12:34:08 PM »
i would do 24/48 at least
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 12:56:39 PM »
Have any who can hear the difference done so in a double blind test yet? 
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 01:09:19 PM »
I did it to my friend who doesn't have a clue about 16 bit vs 24 bit and he heard the difference.
and I hear it as well.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline taosmay

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 01:48:46 PM »
Sorry if this is so basic, but help me out... In order to playback a source recorded at anything above 16/44.1, you will first need the higher resoultion source/equipment (more than likely your taper gear, right?) to do the playback, but then you need a DAC that supports the same bits and resolution which your source recording was made on, in order to be able to listen back to the higher resolution recording, on your home stereo, correct?

Harold
Beyerdynamic MC930's > GAKables > OCM Marantz PMD661
CA 14 cardioid mic's/CA 11 croakie mic's > CA-9200 > Edirol R-09HR

Offline DaveG73

• Taperssection Member
  • Beer and Music.
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 02:27:59 PM »
Totally OT but just wondering if you taped Alabama 3 down in Bournemouth the other week Duncan?

I had heard the sound was really poor (and not for the first time) so was just wondering if you did or how it turned out?

Dave.

(Yes I realise this should have probably been a PM, but I am drunk)
Always Taping Under The Influence.

I was under the assumption that as a taper, we're all geeks?  I just thought it went with the territory?

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 02:36:03 PM »
Sorry if this is so basic, but help me out... In order to playback a source recorded at anything above 16/44.1, you will first need the higher resoultion source/equipment (more than likely your taper gear, right?) to do the playback,
yes. to play back recordings done at higher resolution than 16/44.1 you need equipment that can play those formats, but it does not have to be your taping gear. DVD Audio players will work just fine as well as many high quality PC sound cards (like the squeezebox). so you don't have to use your taping deck as the playback device.

but then you need a DAC that supports the same bits and resolution which your source recording was made on, in order to be able to listen back to the higher resolution recording, on your home stereo, correct?
right. although some devices that can't playback higher resolution files can resample the recordings on the fly.

Offline taper420

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 02:42:57 PM »
Harold: yes

Thread:
As many on this board have said, I find the greatest advantge is had when going to 24 bits. The difference in quality between 48 and 96 is negligable at best. When using my mics, I personally can't hear a difference between the two. My mics also don't pick up anything over 20k anyway, so the signals not there to record. Perhaps if I get mics with a wider range in the future I will hear a difference. I don't now. I would also have to make sure my preamp has a wide range too.

I'd also make note that some who espouse the benefits  of 96 and 192 argue that we are subconsciously hearing harmonics in the high frequencies that add to our perception of the over-all sound. It would have to be subconscious because studies have shown, with rare exception, the limit of human hearing is just around 20k. But I am willing to bet on the results of another study. Sit a random sampling of music listeners in a room and play 2 samples of identical music for them. But tell them one is higher quality than the other and spell it out with technical data. Ask them which sounds better. Which one do you think they'll pick?

I've also seen discussion on the accuracy of clocking for high sample rates. It seems the higher the sample rate, the higher the rate or error. So you would need a pretty high quality clock for the benefits (if any) of the higher sample rate to outweigh the degradation due to clocking issues.

Just some stuff to think about.

Offline taosmay

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 04:31:54 PM »
Thanks for the answers. Re: ShawnSmith's reply that you can use a DVD Audio player though, I didn't know that you can transfer and record from a high resolution source onto a DVD Audio player, so that you can then listen back to the high resolution source on the DVD Audio player, through your home stereo(or am I missing something in that scenerio?). And his point about using PC soundcards(like the squeezebox), is strictly for playback through a computer setup and speakers, and not a regular home stereo, I think. And devices that re-sample on the fly (if they can't playback at higher resolution), are more prone to timing errors, correct?

I record on a Sony D100 at 44.1, and transfer to an HHb cdr-830 standalone cd recorder. I record at 44.1 on the D100, instead of 48kHz, since in the transfer to the HHb, it would down sample on the fly to the redbook standard of 44.1. Would that be the way most people here would go, given those equipment limitations?

taper420 - points well taken. I found it interesting after putting together a home hi-fi set up ~10 years ago that I could hear differences in my digital cables. Personally I stay away from TosLink optical cables. I like Kimber Kable AGDL coaxial cables. At the time I also bought a Genesis Digital Lens, due to concerns regarding timing/clocking issues(I had Genesis modify it to accept a 48kHz signal too).

It really hurts having the following equipment sitting in storage, while I am using inferior equipment currently: the Digital Lens, McCormack Micro Line Drive(pre-amp), McCormack DNA 0.5 Amp, and Dahlquist DQ32 speakers. I still have and use the aragon D2A2 DAC I used in that set-up though.
Beyerdynamic MC930's > GAKables > OCM Marantz PMD661
CA 14 cardioid mic's/CA 11 croakie mic's > CA-9200 > Edirol R-09HR

Offline boojum

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 04:42:29 PM »
I did it to my friend who doesn't have a clue about 16 bit vs 24 bit and he heard the difference.
and I hear it as well.

You did not answer the question, however.  ;o)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 07:25:09 PM »
2/18/2002

The last time I recorded 16/44.   ;D

My playback might not dictate 24/96 now but once the kids are gone look out!   ;)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2007, 08:56:26 PM »

My playback might not dictate 24/96 now but once the kids are gone look out!   ;)

so true. I'm in the same boat minus the kids. I also record mainly at 24/48 since its SOOOO much easier for me to edit the 24/48 files over the 24/96 files. I know, lazy taper syndrome. But for me to record 24/96, I have to split the files just right so they dont go over the 2GB limit :P save those split up files. saving cue sheets is a PITA since if i track out my 16-bit first(what I always do since the cue sheet would be a complete one, then when i go to do my 24/96 wavs to cue/track out, i have to manually track what doesnt fit on the 24/96 cue since the 24/96 stuff is DOUBLE thye space the 24/48 stuff is

plus, my ears cant tell a diff between 24/48 and 24/96 for PA stuff, so I could care less ;D And I can easily burn a DVD-A of my 24/48 stuff, and like I said, its HALF the HDD space and ALOT easier to edit. Just open 24/48 WAV per set, add gain/resample/dither save. open 16-bit wav in cdwave, save cue sheet for each set, save tracks and rename/flac/upload. no splitting files so they dont get bitten by the 2GB rule :P

anyway :P............
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline leehookem

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Texas Tapers
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2007, 01:06:13 AM »

My playback might not dictate 24/96 now but once the kids are gone look out!   ;)

so true. I'm in the same boat minus the kids. I also record mainly at 24/48 since its SOOOO much easier for me to edit the 24/48 files over the 24/96 files. I know, lazy taper syndrome. But for me to record 24/96, I have to split the files just right so they dont go over the 2GB limit :P save those split up files. saving cue sheets is a PITA since if i track out my 16-bit first(what I always do since the cue sheet would be a complete one, then when i go to do my 24/96 wavs to cue/track out, i have to manually track what doesnt fit on the 24/96 cue since the 24/96 stuff is DOUBLE thye space the 24/48 stuff is

plus, my ears cant tell a diff between 24/48 and 24/96 for PA stuff, so I could care less ;D And I can easily burn a DVD-A of my 24/48 stuff, and like I said, its HALF the HDD space and ALOT easier to edit. Just open 24/48 WAV per set, add gain/resample/dither save. open 16-bit wav in cdwave, save cue sheet for each set, save tracks and rename/flac/upload. no splitting files so they dont get bitten by the 2GB rule :P

anyway :P............

WORD!  plain and simple.  that's the way I roll.
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com