Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What happened to this recording (sample included)  (Read 1781 times)

Offline mp3weenie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
What happened to this recording (sample included)
« on: July 12, 2007, 10:32:58 PM »
About 45 minutes into this recording it started to cut out almost like a loose connection but what got me confused is that it cut in and out with a flange like effect. One thing I noticed that 1) the recorder was very hot and 2) I may have had my phantom power engaged by accident. Here is my rig info and sample of the recording attached.

DPA4061(HEB)->BB->MT10dbPad->Microtrack(mic in at 24/48)

Thanks in advance. J

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
Re: What happened to this recording (sample included)
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 11:09:18 AM »
Sounds to me like the card you're using is too slow to keep up with writing the data at 24/48.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline mp3weenie

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 09:37:50 AM »
I have made 4 others recordings with this some even at 96kHz and all worked fine. I believe my cards are like 133x or something super fast.

Anyone have any problems with the MT overheating? What would happen if I had phantom power enabled?

Thanks. J
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 01:28:19 PM by mp3weenie »

Offline mp3weenie

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 01:17:40 AM »
bump, still did not get many theories on the cause of the flange effect on the provided sample. Any input, anyone, anyone?

Offline manitouman

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 08:54:39 PM »
I've run a similar rig before but never used phantom power, and what is the 10db pad for? Does it serve as an attenuator of sorts? Had an attenuator cable but never needed it for that rig. I can't really comment on what happened to your recording but how about some advice as to your phantom power accident. I've placed a small piece of clear tape over the last two buttons: the L/M/H button (set to "L"), and the phantom power in the off position. Because for those recording situations it has been my experience to use the "L" input no matter if you are using the "Mic In" jack. It delivers a cleaner sounding recording. You don't need phantom power because you are using a bat box, your mics get their power from the bat box.

Hope that helps with that problem but sorry couldn't advise you on the recording problem.
Mics: AKG CK31, CK32>LM 3> MPA III

Offline mp3weenie

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 10:56:23 PM »
Thanks for the input, I am not sure if phantom power was engaged or not when this occurred. I has used an attenuator for the mic-in input since I was worried about overloading the mic inputs even on L but what I am hearing is that most likely is not needed. I am switching my rig around to run using the 1/4 inputs with a preamp instead. Hopefully this setup will be more robust. Still clueless about the cause but thanks for your input.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com