Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Bad Recording (AT943's > Church Preamp > iRiver H100)  (Read 17330 times)

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Whats next?
Re: Bad Recording (AT943's > Church Preamp > iRiver H100)
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2007, 09:23:35 AM »
Simon, can you test the next recording with a different recorder?
I believe with a MD-line in or edirol R-09 line-in your Rush recording had turned out great without distortion in the lows.
I still believe the iriver-internal preamp got overloaded by too much signal coming in from the mics in the low frequencies.
So it´s NOT the mics or bbox´s fault IMHO.

So do you think running an external pre instead of a bb would help in this case on using the iriver?

Offline Arni99

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2007, 10:47:15 AM »
Simon, can you test the next recording with a different recorder?
I believe with a MD-line in or edirol R-09 line-in your Rush recording had turned out great without distortion in the lows.
I still believe the iriver-internal preamp got overloaded by too much signal coming in from the mics in the low frequencies.
So it´s NOT the mics or bbox´s fault IMHO.

So do you think running an external pre instead of a bb would help in this case on using the iriver?
I think a different recorder (MZ-RH1, Edirol R-09) OR a 4.7k mod to your HLSC-1 ground conductor(reduces mic´s signal by  -12 to -15dB) would solve the problem for high SPL in big arenas.
Try the 4.7k mod...takes 15 minutes and you are done. It will reduce the hot signal provided by the HLSC mics and therefore not overload the iriver´s analog input(line-in). With the 4.7k mod you´ll need more internal amplification, so I´d start with +20dB and "safety-clip" instead of +8db(your Rush setting in the end of the show).
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 10:50:26 AM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline som

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2007, 11:58:42 AM »
Well, I had my 2nd outing with the Church Preamp, with much better results. This was Jethro Tull, 6th row center. Not as heavy as Rush, but a few songs rocked pretty hard, and I don't have any of the distortion I had with Rush.

This time out I had the iRiver gain at 10 (vs. 20), and adjusted the levels via the Church preamp (I had to crank it close to all the way up). I used the Safety AGC, but set it at a lower time threshold. By the end of the show it had bumped the level down to 9.5.

Looking back , I think that I actually may *not* have had the Safety AGC on at Rush. I haven't messed with the iRiver since then, and when I turned it on I saw that the AGC was off. Also, the sample I posted was after doing some minor editing in Audacity, and I wonder if saving the file could have possibly somehow removed the tell-tale signs of clipping.

ANYWAY,   
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2007, 03:43:21 PM »
I'm confused...   ???
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com