Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Getting open taping gear into the venue...  (Read 11846 times)

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Getting open taping gear into the venue...
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2007, 05:54:49 PM »

nope we are on the floor  ;D

http://www.tickco.com/images/venues/Wiltern_theater.gif
probably right around the "G"

nice-  I'll be looking for you guys!

we may end up being around "A" but you should be able to spot us either way
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2007, 06:50:41 PM »
I actually have had two recent experiences at the Belly Up where the security were total assholes.  Once for the Mother Hips who I've taped several time at the Belly Up with no problems until recently.  The other band were Railroad Earth & Hot Buttered Rum.  It was crazy, 3 security guys all asking me to get in touch with the owner of the Bely Up and then I had to get Mollie from HBR to let him know it was okay.  Never had I experienced this until recently...the Hips show was at the end of September/ RRE & HBR were beginning of October.

???

Ryan in CA
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
04/22 Howie Day
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
05/10 Adam Bodine Quartet
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common
06/19 Sensational Barnes Brothers
06/20 Adam Bodine Quintet
07/19 Chali 2na & Cut Chemist
07/30 Tomorrows Bad Seeds

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2007, 06:57:45 PM »
woah, thats really really unheard of there

ive had them check my bags a few times but other than that never had any issues

sorry to hear you were hassled

easy jim

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2007, 07:03:38 PM »
I actually have had two recent experiences at the Belly Up where the security were total assholes.  Once for the Mother Hips who I've taped several time at the Belly Up with no problems until recently.  The other band were Railroad Earth & Hot Buttered Rum.  It was crazy, 3 security guys all asking me to get in touch with the owner of the Bely Up and then I had to get Mollie from HBR to let him know it was okay.  Never had I experienced this until recently...the Hips show was at the end of September/ RRE & HBR were beginning of October.

???

Ryan in CA

I've noticed some newer guys working the door lately when I came in with tix through the front door.  Both times they asked me to open up my gear bag and show them what I had before the head of security or House Mgr. who both know me came up and told them to just let me pass.

I'm sure the new guys just did not know yet that taping was cool that night, and they needed a quick verification.  Once they know it's cool, they should only ask you to show them it's only audio gear and they'll stamp your hand and wave you through.  

If you have trouble again, ask for Steve Roder (House Mgr.) or the head of security (I believe his name is Sammy) and ask them to confirm that taping is OK.  The venue staff/security is generally very scrupulous about always asking/clearing with the bands before they open the doors whether or not the show is open taping or not.

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2007, 07:41:54 PM »

???

Ryan in CA

I've heard that the belly up is now controled by live nation and or there is some kinda funky rule that only the house can record the performances...now and the owner is a real dick about it now, even as far as tearing rigs down before the show goes on.  That is if they even get in the door.  Atleast thats what I have heard from a freind in san diego who hits the Bellyup a lot...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 07:43:40 PM by OtheroneK »
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2007, 07:45:02 PM »

???

Ryan in CA

I've heard that the belly up is now controled by live nation and or there is some kinda funky rule that only the house can record the performances...now and the owner is a real dick about it now, even as far as tearing rigs down before the show goes on.  That is if they even get in the door.  Atleast thats what I have heard from a freind in san diego who hits the Bellyup a lot...

4th and B possibly? they were taken over by live nation or else HoB. I know they tore down Boas rig from inside the Sound booth during the crowes run

i just recorded at the Belly Up on Friday and no one batted an eye, we even got a board feed. i don't believe there has been any ownership/management change there

easy jim

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2007, 07:54:06 PM »

???

Ryan in CA

4th and B possibly? they were taken over by live nation or else HoB. I know they tore down Boas rig from inside the Sound booth during the crowes run

i just recorded at the Belly Up on Friday and no one batted an eye, we even got a board feed. i don't believe there has been any ownership/management change there

Yeah...you got bad info. about the Belly Up.  They are still an independent venue.  It is 4th & B that recently changed ownership and then signed over control in a production contract with Live Nation/House of Rules.

The HoRules policy about recording is a little more invloved than "only the house can record performances."  It is more like they view tapers and live recording by bands as competition to the service of recording which they wish to sell to the bands...well, that and the huge orgination fees they want for a commercialized recording marked "Live at the House of Rules."  They will allow recording, but they make the band/band rep. sign an archival agreement making them personally liable for origination fees if the recoridng is ever commercialized; and, to allow open taping for fans, I believe they require an additional liability waiver.  $th & B is now run with this policy in effect.

Offline melontracks

• Taperssection Regular
  • you are a delight!
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2007, 05:01:01 AM »
Who's gonna post the wiltern show?

My tape is far from the best I'm sure, so I'll wait to see what surfaces.  I got there too late to meet up with anyone, and wasn't able to spot anyone's mic stands when I did arrive!  I think that anyone who was at the San Diego or Ventura shows will agree that they were better shows, overall, though Claude did kick an unusual amount of ass at the Wiltern during "never squeal."

I'll be looking for a posting of the show--

Mel.

thepassionofyonder

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2007, 10:48:10 AM »
wasn't able to spot anyone's mic stands when I did arrive! 

we set up at the back of the first tier.
had mics at head level until lights went down, then we raised them a lil bit.
the wiltern wasnt gonna allow us to bring our stand in, so we left it at the coat check.
tracked down kirt (foh) and he went with us while we retrieved our stand.
he said he didnt care were we ran as long as we stayed out of his sight lines.
they wouldnt allow a tri-pod for video though, so other guy had a bunch of hassles in that dept.

Offline melontracks

• Taperssection Regular
  • you are a delight!
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2007, 01:05:18 PM »
wasn't able to spot anyone's mic stands when I did arrive!

we set up at the back of the first tier.
had mics at head level until lights went down, then we raised them a lil bit.
the wiltern wasnt gonna allow us to bring our stand in, so we left it at the coat check.
tracked down kirt (foh) and he went with us while we retrieved our stand.
he said he didnt care were we ran as long as we stayed out of his sight lines.
they wouldnt allow a tri-pod for video though, so other guy had a bunch of hassles in that dept.

Wish I'd gotten myself down there sooner to meet with you guys, but the group I was with was having too good a time tailgaiting and we ended up cutting it TOO close.  That place was jammed on the floor.  Even if they hadn't started playing moments after we got in, I doubt I'd have been able to find you.  Lesson learned, i suppose.  next time I'll get there sooner.  Anyone going to post this show soon?

thepassionofyonder

« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2007, 01:30:59 PM »
Anyone going to post this show soon?

i dont think i'll have time to torrent this until sat night, or monday night.

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2007, 02:03:40 PM »
i prob won't get it up till early next week, but i'll see what i can do when i get home from work

melontracks, are you planning on any other shows in the area coming up?

Offline melontracks

• Taperssection Regular
  • you are a delight!
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2007, 02:11:24 PM »
i prob won't get it up till early next week, but i'll see what i can do when i get home from work

melontracks, are you planning on any other shows in the area coming up?

I didn't have any plans, no, but I was just thinking about looking into the local venues this morning.  Been anticipating these Ween shows so much that I forgot there were other bands, I guess!

I think that I saw Hank III lined up to play HOB anaheim or something near the end of the year.  maybe that... 
Also, see the decemberists at Wiltern at the end of the month.  I think I'll be there...

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2007, 04:58:34 PM »

???

Ryan in CA

Yeah your right I was thinking 4th and B not the Belly up.  Serve me right, if you not sure what your talking about stay quit.  Thanks for correcting me.  But there has been a unsettleing amount of places no longer allowing tapers, due to live nation, clear channel, HOB and such and or people getting hastled.  Hope we are not a dying breed....OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2007, 07:49:06 AM »
sorry for the sliht highjack, but what is that dog doing in your avatar? And the venues here in PA are ALL taper friendly. Do be aware if you have your stuff in a backpack tho. A few venues around here wont allow backpacks in the venue NO MATTER WHAT. I have had to carry ALL of my gear in without a bag just once. After that, I switched to a messenger style bag and a PortaBrace bag setup!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com