Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What Could Have Caused This?  (Read 1457 times)

Offline DaveG73

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Beer and Music.
What Could Have Caused This?
« on: October 16, 2007, 04:14:25 PM »
I was recording a show last week (David Ford @ The Georgian Theatre) and when I was listening back I noticed some occasional distortion in the right channel.

Around 75% of the show sounds great, but I would love any opinions on what caused the distortion/interference/whatever it is.

Here is a sample track in Mp3, which is where it is the most prominent.

http://www.mediafire.com/?4fccdjibxy1

I was set up using CA STC-11 Cards (With Standard Windscreens) > CA ST9000 pre (+10 Gain) > iRiver H320 (+6 Gain).

The mics were mounted on a stand at about 7' AB around 20' from the stage at the very back of the room.

I set up just to the right of center/board. The entrance doors were to the right, which was not ideal, but the bar was off to the left which would have been worse.

Here are the things I have considered that might have been the problem.

(i) Moisture in the capsule - Possible after a few very hot and humid shows the previous week, but I would think that it would be more of a constant distortion if this was the case.

(ii) A loose Capsule - I have checked and this doesn't seem to be the case, also I would expect this to be more constant.

(iii) A bad connection on one of my miniplugs (either not inserted properly or a bad wire) - Again possible, but I have some tracks which are perfect and only three or four which show distortion.

(iv) My right mic was picking up a draught from the opening/closing door or a noise from the hinge - While this sounds weird I am leaning towards this without having been able to do any home testing.

(v) *Insert your suggestions*

I will do some tests when I have a chance, but I have another show coming up and would love to have any opinions to work with as I don't think I will have enough time to do much testing beforehand.

Thanks for your time.

Dave.
Always Taping Under The Influence.

I was under the assumption that as a taper, we're all geeks?  I just thought it went with the territory?

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: What Could Have Caused This?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 04:19:45 PM »
Definetly sounds like a short to me.

Most likely it's happening where the cable enters the mic capsule/casing, the miniplug (?) entering the bbox, or the cable leaving the battery box or entering the recording. Not sure if it's possible with your iRiver, but try monitoring as you record your home stereo (i.e. connect all the parts to your rig and then listen on headphones through the headphone out of your iRiver). -Gently- wiggle all the cables and try to reproduce the static.

Since it's only coming from the right channel, I would say start your investigation with the cable near the casing for the right capsule.

Offline som

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: What Could Have Caused This?
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 02:16:59 PM »
I've had the same type of thing and it was the cable. It messed up small portions of the show, but most of it was fine.
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com