Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09HR - Part TWO  (Read 113300 times)

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Edirol R-09HR - Part TWO
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2008, 11:13:40 AM »

Thanks for the reply, just to clarify what you said, if I were to get HLSC-1's, I wouldn't need a 9100 Church preamp? Also, I looked at the specs on them and they only go down to 30hz on the low end, I couldn't find any specs on the HLSO-1 (maybe they don't sell them anymore?), just wondering if you recommended them over the CA-11, or CA-14s which do go down to 20hz for a reason?

Friend,

Metal type music? I'm sure you won't need a preamp. A battery box is all you're going to need. In this case, use the Line In input, quiter than the Mic input.
About comparing different mics, well, like I said, I just can't do that ::). It wouldn't be ethic for a very simple reason: I don't have any Church mics. I'm sure they are great  products. Lots of folks around here use and love them. I can talk about the HLSC-1: terrific mics.  ;) Yes, they are available at Microphone Madness site. Give Mike a call.
About the NBox, I think you can find the info you need in a recent post on this very thread.
Hope that helps,

Thanks again for helping me out with your knowledge, I like the Church Audio ST-9100 and would probably just order this and be done with it if not for my time constraints, as there's a show that I *MUST* ;D tape next Wednesday and thus can't wait the 2-3week build time + shipping time, so I need a bbox or something that I can just order and have shipped. The HLSC-1s I'm a little hesitant of because I previously mentioned they go down to 30hz on the low end as opposed to alot of other mics that do the whole audio range (20hz-20khz), I was referring to not being able to find the ones that you said you have already, the HLSO-1s.

No problem. The HLSO (omnis) are also available ( Microphone Madness).
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2008, 11:50:26 AM »
Those spikes showing up in 88.2kHz and 96kHz, do they appear when using the internal mics too or mic-in only?

Only on the mic in, not the internal or the line-in.

digifish

Hi,

ThereĀ“s something that's not clear to me. Probably because I do not have proper knowledge. Anyway, I have to ask.
Based on several posts and on guysonic's great report, my conclusion is that the brand new R9HR is noisier when running it's highest resolution (24/96). PLEASE, don't take me wrong: I'm not saying that I disagre. My lack of knowledge is huge, I simply can't disagree. It's just that I'm curious about the reasons that would led a huge corporation (Roland) to put together and sell a product with such bizarre behaviour. If 24/96 is worst, why offering such feature in the first place?
I'm also confused about the fact that it's been suggesting that adding a preamp would solve the problem. How come? The noise spikes also happen with Line In or just Mic in/Internals?
Please accpet my apology for not being an expert in this matter. Just confused. ;)

P.S.: I also posted this message in another R9HR related theread. Sorry about that. My bad.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 01:11:27 PM by Dede2002 »

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline andol123

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2008, 12:07:41 PM »
It's just that I'm curious about the reasons that would led a huge corporation (Roland) to put together and sell a product with such bizarre behaviour.

It's beyond me as well.

The noise spikes also happen with Line In or just Mic in/Internals?
Please accpet my apology for not being an expert in this matter. Just confused. ;)

Happens with mic-in only, neither line-in nor internal mics. At least that's how I understand it from reading the
comments here. I'm not expert either.

Battling with myself if I should buy one or not. Those "slow read" errors and those noise spikes made me somewhat hesitant about buying one.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 12:30:21 PM by andol123 »

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2008, 12:53:51 PM »
It's just that I'm curious about the reasons that would led a huge corporation (Roland) to put together and sell a product with such bizarre behaviour.

It's beyond me as well.

The noise spikes also happen with Line In or just Mic in/Internals?

Happens with mic-in only, neither line-in nor internal mics. At least that's how I understand it from reading the
comments here. I'm not expert either.

Battling with myself if I should buy one or not. Those "slow read" errors and those noise spikes made me somewhat hesitant about buying one.

So far, no problems at all with my R9HR. To my ears , it sounds wonderful, warmer and more well defined than the R-09 ( which I've been using for more than 2 years).
Using Kingston cards ( 8GB class 6) I've never had a problem, not a single one.
You're right about the mic only issue. My bad. Is that right (that's me asking the more educated members)?

Offline war throat

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2008, 01:23:43 PM »

Thanks for the reply, just to clarify what you said, if I were to get HLSC-1's, I wouldn't need a 9100 Church preamp? Also, I looked at the specs on them and they only go down to 30hz on the low end, I couldn't find any specs on the HLSO-1 (maybe they don't sell them anymore?), just wondering if you recommended them over the CA-11, or CA-14s which do go down to 20hz for a reason?

Friend,

Metal type music? I'm sure you won't need a preamp. A battery box is all you're going to need. In this case, use the Line In input, quiter than the Mic input.
About comparing different mics, well, like I said, I just can't do that ::). It wouldn't be ethic for a very simple reason: I don't have any Church mics. I'm sure they are great  products. Lots of folks around here use and love them. I can talk about the HLSC-1: terrific mics.  ;) Yes, they are available at Microphone Madness site. Give Mike a call.
About the NBox, I think you can find the info you need in a recent post on this very thread.
Hope that helps,

Thanks again for helping me out with your knowledge, I like the Church Audio ST-9100 and would probably just order this and be done with it if not for my time constraints, as there's a show that I *MUST* ;D tape next Wednesday and thus can't wait the 2-3week build time + shipping time, so I need a bbox or something that I can just order and have shipped. The HLSC-1s I'm a little hesitant of because I previously mentioned they go down to 30hz on the low end as opposed to alot of other mics that do the whole audio range (20hz-20khz), I was referring to not being able to find the ones that you said you have already, the HLSO-1s.

Which show is it?

Offline midden

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2008, 01:44:06 PM »
Which show is it?

At The Gates from .se \m/
Only played in this country once in 1996 in the opening slot.
Reformed after 12 years.
First headlining tour in this country.
This is the equivalent of the Beatles reforming if Lennon never died for melodic death metal, no bullsh|t  ;D

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #81 on: July 03, 2008, 06:16:43 PM »
curious....for those of you who used to own the original r-09 version and now own the HR version.....does it make a difference to you that the line input is on the SIDE of the HR unit vs the top of the R-09?  the level adjustment buttons are still on the side for each, correct? does this pose a problem on the HR version?

IMHO, it is a little annoying, as with the connector on the side, I am using a right angle cable now, and that can get in the way of the volume controls.

On the R-09, "8" on the volume was the unity setting, so I never changed levels... but with the R-09HR, I have not seen 100% confirmation of a unity setting or a "go for it use anything" setting

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #82 on: July 03, 2008, 06:54:54 PM »
... those noise spikes made me somewhat hesitant about buying one.

Frankly the R09HR is demonstrably superior to the original R09. Background noise on mic in & line in. Internal mics etc.

BTW: The R09 has the same noise spikes, plus a few big ones ones the R09HR does not. It's just that now the noise floor is lower on the HR the spikes seem more visible. Also note these are very, very low level and IMO will not make any difference to the quality of the mic-in recordings. Finally as has been mentioned, the line-in and internal mics for that matter are all spike free.

Please try to ignore the graphs and use your ears :) I think the spectrograph plots I show put things in better perspective as a relative difference.

digifish.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 08:27:44 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline andol123

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2008, 07:13:31 AM »
... those noise spikes made me somewhat hesitant about buying one.

Frankly the R09HR is demonstrably superior to the original R09. Background noise on mic in & line in. Internal mics etc.

BTW: The R09 has the same noise spikes, plus a few big ones ones the R09HR does not. It's just that now the noise floor is lower on the HR the spikes seem more visible. Also note these are very, very low level and IMO will not make any difference to the quality of the mic-in recordings. Finally as has been mentioned, the line-in and internal mics for that matter are all spike free.

Please try to ignore the graphs and use your ears :) I think the spectrograph plots I show put things in better perspective as a relative difference.

Thanks for the reply. Made me a bit less hesitant :) What's left is to overcome the Norwegian price tag and the size (it's so much larger than my MD I'm not sure how to get it through security). Cheapest I can find is about 3000kr which at the time of posting is equal to $589 (USD).
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 07:31:51 AM by andol123 »

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2008, 08:47:06 AM »
Cheapest I can find is about 3000kr which at the time of posting is equal to $589 (USD).

I'd be checking eBay from the US. I can land one in Australia for about $440

digifish
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 08:49:16 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #85 on: July 05, 2008, 02:07:39 AM »
Price on eBay in USA is about $350, about $400 through a dealer. 
It's only been a couple of weeks since the R-09HR was introduced,
and prices have not started to come down.

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2008, 07:43:41 AM »
On the R-09, "8" on the volume was the unity setting, so I never changed levels... but with the R-09HR, I have not seen 100% confirmation of a unity setting or a "go for it use anything" setting
Was there a 100% confirmation of a unity setting or a "go for it use anything" setting for the R-09? `8` was a myth.
Level 8 on the R-09 line in maps,in my sheets, to about 9 dBU or 2.18Vrms or 6.18Vpp. (all 30 + mute level settings got an interpolated -13 to 16 dBU figure)
The default level is 0 dBU or about 2Vpp, closer to normal consumer line working levels.

For the HR the spec says:
Line input: 2 dBu (Default input level)
This is very close to where the codec chip has it's 0dBFS point, according to the data sheet.
Have a look at the codec (made by WM) datasheet. Map the level settings to the levels that the chip supports.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 08:23:01 AM by udovdh »

Offline midden

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2008, 09:39:01 AM »
Cheapest I can find is about 3000kr which at the time of posting is equal to $589 (USD).

I'd be checking eBay from the US. I can land one in Australia for about $440

digifish

FWIW, in the process of acquiring my music collection, I have done alot of international ordering in my life. Alot of people seem to be unnecessarily trepidatious of the process thinking that they'll never get their package, but I just want to say to you guys in the .eu and .au, order from the USA, your package WILL get through customs and save a hundred+ dollars. I ordered mine from amazon.com last week, http://tinyurl.com/63hf4l. Got it for $334, but at the time amazon.com itself didn't have it in stock and ordered it from a merchant. According to UPS, I'll be getting it Monday. In the meantime, the price seems to have gone up $25, but at $359 it's obviously still alot less. I already checked for you guys so I wouldn't be putting my foot in my mouth, and this place ships to both of your countries. Enjoy  ;)

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2008, 10:15:22 AM »
Please don't forget to mention VAT and import fees that MAY be added to your imported deck when it enters your country.

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2008, 02:33:05 AM »
Was there a 100% confirmation of a unity setting or a "go for it use anything" setting for the R-09? `8` was a myth.

I will have to disagree, I have a couple of recordings not run at 8, all run lower, and the WAV files look flat, uneven and sound it as well

Level 8 on the R-09 line in maps,in my sheets, to about 9 dBU or 2.18Vrms or 6.18Vpp. (all 30 + mute level settings got an interpolated -13 to 16 dBU figure)
The default level is 0 dBU or about 2Vpp, closer to normal consumer line working levels.

For the HR the spec says:
Line input: 2 dBu (Default input level)
This is very close to where the codec chip has it's 0dBFS point, according to the data sheet.
Have a look at the codec (made by WM) datasheet. Map the level settings to the levels that the chip supports.

Sorry, but I dont speak engineer, can you explain in layman's terms? Please?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.131 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com