Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: NEW Tascam DR-07 - Sample recording  (Read 8769 times)

Offline heyitsmejess

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: NEW Tascam DR-07 - Sample recording
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 05:52:23 AM »
sounds good!

i have to say, im a HUGE fan of the sp-bmc-2 mics as well....ive had some excellent pulls with them.
cause we zig and zag between good and bad
stumble and fall on right and wrong

http://www.rumpkemountainboys.org/

Offline colargol

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2009, 11:31:47 AM »
Has anyone checked the noise of the mic and line inputs of this machine?

-Colargol
MK4s/MK41s > nbob actives > tinybox/babynbox > M10/A10

Offline mhlsr

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2009, 12:37:52 PM »
sounds good!

i have to say, im a HUGE fan of the sp-bmc-2 mics as well....ive had some excellent pulls with them.
What battery supply do you use with those? I just got the dr07/sp-bmc-2 combo.

Offline heyitsmejess

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2009, 12:42:51 PM »
i use the church audio 9100 preamp, but from what i understand, unless your recording something REALLY loud, you should be able to use plugin power from the recorder just fine.

that being said, the CA9100 preamp is a great box, and well worth the money/wait to get one.
cause we zig and zag between good and bad
stumble and fall on right and wrong

http://www.rumpkemountainboys.org/

Offline antsyashley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2009, 12:58:33 PM »
The DR-07 has built in power for external mics. If you record using the internal mics, you select "Power: Off" in the menu. When plugging in the externals, you select "Power: On". It has worked beautifully for my recordings (loud shows!). I can record at least 3.5 hrs of music with one set of AA batteries, and with the mic power on.

Offline antsyashley

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2009, 06:48:16 PM »
I have not yet recorded anything with the internal mics. I'll post something if and when I do. See this thread (http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,115981.msg1566949.html#msg1566949 -- 9th post down) for a sample of a  >:D recording.

Offline the_artist

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2009, 07:48:26 PM »
If I can post this here, I used the new DR07 last week at a club show by local [Brisbane Australia] band Del Toro.  It was sitting on the front of the sound desk and using the internal mic.  I also stood next to it and recorded the set with my old rig of Sound Pro Binaurals, Sound Pro Pre-Amp and Minidisc[MZ-NH600].  Sample mp3s of a song are hosted on Box.net here

http://www.box.net/shared/96zzmpdqu5

I was pleasantly surprised at the ability of the internal mics.

Next I'll try the binaurals as mic-in.  I used the DR07 at a festival last weekend with the Binaural/pre-amp into Line-In and had mixed results.  When I use the MD with them I just set the Gain Switch to 0db and the output level control to max and the system takes care of loud for me.  With the DR07 that worked for really loud material [eg Mogwai] but to get any reasonable signal for not quite so loud stuff i had to set the Gain to the Low setting [22db] and play with the output level control.  This worked fine for acoustic and moderately loud stuff but there was still some clipping on some recordings..  May take a whole to work out how best to use it but I'm happy enough to carry 2 spare 8GB sd cards instead of 20 Minidiscs.

Offline BitRater

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Gizmo Planet Electronics Reviews
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2009, 07:27:56 PM »
If I can post this here, I used the new DR07 last week at a club show by local [Brisbane Australia] band Del Toro.  It was sitting on the front of the sound desk and using the internal mic.  I also stood next to it and recorded the set with my old rig of Sound Pro Binaurals, Sound Pro Pre-Amp and Minidisc[MZ-NH600].  Sample mp3s of a song are hosted on Box.net here

http://www.box.net/shared/96zzmpdqu5

I was pleasantly surprised at the ability of the internal mics.

Next I'll try the binaurals as mic-in.  I used the DR07 at a festival last weekend with the Binaural/pre-amp into Line-In and had mixed results.  When I use the MD with them I just set the Gain Switch to 0db and the output level control to max and the system takes care of loud for me.  With the DR07 that worked for really loud material [eg Mogwai] but to get any reasonable signal for not quite so loud stuff i had to set the Gain to the Low setting [22db] and play with the output level control.  This worked fine for acoustic and moderately loud stuff but there was still some clipping on some recordings..  May take a whole to work out how best to use it but I'm happy enough to carry 2 spare 8GB sd cards instead of 20 Minidiscs.

The sound coming from the DR07 seems pretty good for such a small recorder. I noticed that you also included a sample MiniDisc recording of the same band. The MD seems to have a slight edge in treble response over the DR07. Yet the DR07 sounds much more lifelike.

Having just bought a Marantz PMD620, I'm looking forward to the day when I can pick up a set of binaural mics and a preamp and see how it does recording live shows.

Offline corsair

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2009, 11:48:51 AM »
I ran the DR-07 for the very first time on Monday night, and I must say going line-in, the unit sure can take in a hot signal. I hit record, maxed the recording level, and the peak was never reached once. I did a post processing of a +10dB amplification though...even though it is unnecessary.

Does this mean I should go in through "Mic In" with low gain in the future?
Audio-Technica ES943/C's -> Home-made 3-wire battery box -> Tascam DR-07

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2009, 01:58:36 PM »
Still waiting on my DR 100.  I wonder if the line level are similar.  Good to have an idea about the DR-07 though

Offline the_artist

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2009, 09:12:04 AM »
I ran the DR-07 for the very first time on Monday night, and I must say going line-in, the unit sure can take in a hot signal. I hit record, maxed the recording level, and the peak was never reached once. I did a post processing of a +10dB amplification though...even though it is unnecessary.

that was my experience too with Sound Pro Binaurals -> Sound Pro pre-amp> - line in.  i haven't tried mic in yet because the internal mics seem to work so well.

Offline colargol

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2009, 12:52:26 PM »

I did a few tests of the line in levels of the DR-07 vs Edirol R-09HR. Not extremely scientific, but should work on an approximate scale:

Edirol R-09HRTascam DR-07
70 (levels at 0dB)10 (levels at -5dB)

So it seems that the DR-07 should be able to handle a hot signal... I still wouldn't go mic-in though, depends on your other equipment, I suppose.

-c
MK4s/MK41s > nbob actives > tinybox/babynbox > M10/A10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com