Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help: JB3 Batery Died Recording Missing  (Read 2173 times)

Offline breathmint

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Help: JB3 Batery Died Recording Missing
« on: February 08, 2009, 09:22:24 AM »
Hello All,

I have been told that there may be a thread or two about this, but I'm sorry I couldn't seem to find it. I saw Andrew Bird 2 nights ago, it was ridiculous  :]  I was getting a brilliant recording too, but somewhere just before the end of the 90 odd minute set my battery died (wasn't fully charged before) . This has happened a couple times in the past and it never was a problem, you just end up with a cut off recording, right? Well for some reason I get home look at JB3 and there's nothing on it! I guess it didn't "save" before the battery died or whatever, but here's the thing. I know it writes on the fly (using a buffer of course), so that data has GOT to be on there, whether "it knows" (got indexed) or not, right?

Have any of you ever run across this issue? Know a remedy to recover the file? I might call Creative, though I doubt they will be helpful but I just wanted to know if you had any ideas or could point me towards someone who might. I figure there should be SOME way to just scan the drive and pick up the file which is likely just sitting there but I can't seem to find out how this is possible.

Thanks So Much For Any Ideas,
breathmint

Offline breathmint

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Help: JB3 Batery Died Recording Missing
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 04:38:50 PM »
Update: I've tried the "clean up" thing twice, but still nothing. Has anyone ever taken out the HDD and tried using some standard PC software to scan the disk for files? Does anyone know what type of file system the JB3 uses?

Thanks,
mint

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 07:07:32 PM »
Based on previous JB3 threads here, and once with my own experience when the recorder "froze", nothing is saved along the way.  Don't take my word for it, but I'm fairly certain this is the case.

Damnit, too, cause I loves me some Andrew Bird...
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline heyitsmejess

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 01:58:49 AM »
this is how i prevented this from happening after losing several sets.

make sure you disable the wireless remote option in the settings.
cause we zig and zag between good and bad
stumble and fall on right and wrong

http://www.rumpkemountainboys.org/

Offline breathmint

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 05:42:30 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I tried this and unfortunately it is not THE limiting factor. I have done some testing which includes firmware upgrading (i was running .05 not .06), formatting, clean up, etc.

Here is what i have determined so far. The JB3 may or may not save a recording when operating on battery and the battery dies (suprise suprise read the JB3 FAQ). HOWEVER, in my testing I seem to have found that it tends to have a much higher chance of saving if you have started with a fully charged battery. When you start at a half charge its 50/50. If you start with a very small charge, it seems to fail every time. So my advice to all is to always charge your battery fully before using your JB3 to record.

This is something I have always done anyway, and the Andrew Bird show was just a timing issue where I forgot to charge that day and got what I could in between coming home from work and leaving for the show. I will just have to never let that happen again.

If anyone has any additional comments and/or suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,
mint

this is how i prevented this from happening after losing several sets.

make sure you disable the wireless remote option in the settings.

Roving Sign

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 07:23:08 AM »
Update: I've tried the "clean up" thing twice, but still nothing. Has anyone ever taken out the HDD and tried using some standard PC software to scan the disk for files? Does anyone know what type of file system the JB3 uses?

Thanks,
mint

...one other trick is to record another track...and then do clean up...I swear I had a track appear a few weeks later that I thought was lost...

Offline Senza

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 03:51:46 PM »
Hi - not sure how i missed your thread when i started mine but i've found some code that should allow you to recover files or at least have a poke around to see if they're still there. Details in this thread: http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,119349.0.html

Is this 'Clean-up' option defragmenting (the automatic process it does every once in a while after deleting/adding files)? Because i wouldn't want to try that in case it overwrites the recording by moving 'proper' data on to it. Of course any temporary recording data might get deleted the next time you turn the JB3 on after the failed save. I wish i could remember how much space i had before i did the recording...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.237 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com